‘He who sows the wind shall reap the whirlwind….’

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

‘He who sows the wind shall reap the whirlwind….’

Postby Mountainman » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:24 pm

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: ‘He who sows the wind shall reap the whirlwind….’

Postby Spence » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:26 pm

They need to get rid of all the commissioners and appoint someone over all the schools in Bowl division. make rules that apply to everyone and follow them. Not doing this a long time ago is why they are in the position they are in now. It is silly to not have one set of rules and one body to make sure they are followed.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:10 am

Spence wrote:They need to get rid of all the commissioners and appoint someone over all the schools in Bowl division. make rules that apply to everyone and follow them. Not doing this a long time ago is why they are in the position they are in now. It is silly to not have one set of rules and one body to make sure they are followed.

Yep, I think this would be a move in the right direction after seeing the outcome and results of John Swofford’s tenure in the ACC and now Greg Sankey and his deeds in the SEC, who’s now making statements that it will take an Act of Congress to resolve current issues that have evolved during and as a consequence of his tenure as SEC Commissioner……… does he really think that the members of Congress that represent the States that have passed these laws he’s whining about are going to vote for legislation that goes against what their home states have passed? Sounds more like passing the buck and blame for something that’s happened on his watch as a consequence of the chaos he and others have created. These Conference Commissioners have left little doubt that they need outside supervision and authority to limit and restrict their actions and deeds…….. the road to players becoming employees of the schools is being paved by guys like this.

…….. and btw, I don’t have any idea just what it the hell is going on in the PAC-12. :roll:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:47 pm

I think Swofford wants congress to exempt them from antitrust law. I think he is probably right about that exempting them from antitrust laws is the only way to put the genie back in the bottle. Or at least get a handle on it. But I agree that congress isn't going to take control of this or make up the rules to be followed. Nor should they.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:47 am

Spence wrote:I think Swofford wants congress to exempt them from antitrust law. I think he is probably right about that exempting them from antitrust laws is the only way to put the genie back in the bottle. Or at least get a handle on it. But I agree that congress isn't going to take control of this or make up the rules to be followed. Nor should they.

……….and if Congress where to allow an exemption from antitrust laws, what’s left of competitive balance in College Football would evaporate. Maybe Greg Sankey should consider and demonstrate cleaning up his own house, like say in Knoxville and College Station or raiding other conferences’ members, before he try’s to influence the direction College Football in general to where there’s a level playing field as opposed to a field that’s tilted.

Return to “General Discussion”