Truth, Tongue-In-Cheek or Bite Your Tongue……

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Truth, Tongue-In-Cheek or Bite Your Tongue……

Postby Mountainman » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:38 pm

…….. you be the judge. I actually did all three!!!!! I thought this could be true, and then I thought it’s a joke, and then I thought ‘don’t give ‘en any ideas’. :shock: :lol: :roll:

https://www.si.com/college/2023/08/30/c ... a-alliance

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Truth, Tongue-In-Cheek or Bite Your Tongue……

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:25 pm

----------------------------------------------------------------

There have been some chattering within the people connected to the people who make the decisions, that there is an inexorable move towards a 4 Big 24 team Super Conference league.

There are quite a few warning signs pointing to this model.

Maybe even that gets whittled down to a Mega 3 Conference after yet another realignment phase.

With the ACC Grant of Rights running through 2036, I believe the term Realignment is merely a conditioning tactic designed to desensitize the listener to the language, so that when Realignment continues to happen [until they get the format they really want], the general audience will simply ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The final alignment that they inevitably land on, likely already has its proposal being reviewed. Even if what we currently have changes 3 or 4 more times before we get there.

How we eventually get there will undoubtably be catered in with a whole lot of finger pointing, and buck passing, which is geared toward the common consumer.

But to the savvy connoisseur, we already know that it's all of their doing.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:19 pm

Yep, as is apparent I’m watching this unfold with interest in the happenings along the way. Certainly appears to me as if Greg Sankey is traveling blindly down the same road that John Swofford travelled that has put the ACC in a bind, along with the ‘Sit on your hands and do nothing’ approach the PAC12 Commissioners took while their conference exploded.

My guess is that the National Labor Relations Board is just waiting to press further with their lawsuits to have players become employees of the schools…….. and btw, yes, there will be a ‘players Union’.

One might think that those guys would be smart enough to realize that a “Mouse” is nothing but a rat…….. and I cannot help but chuckle when I see where they’re running to the ‘Rats Nest’ in Washington DC in search of a life preserver.

8) 8) 8)

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:00 am

If compensation from the schools becomes part of the equation, it will be unsustainable for them or they will have to discontinue non revenue sports - which goes against what they are supposed to believe in. They model they are using now is based on the Olympic model of amateurism. Which is based on personal services contract to promote business with their name, image, and likeness. Having a player's union would go against that model and move toward a professional business model. They schools have no business, nor are they set up to function under this model. So CFB as we no it would have to morph into a minor league for the NFL - which the NFL doesn't want - or become competition for the NFL - which the NFL absolutely doesn't want. I look at this as the beginning of the end of college football - at least what we view as college football.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:40 am

……….and meanwhile, the ACC has made their decision. It’s Stanford, Cal accepting significantly reduced shares while SMU says they’ll take nothing at all. The ACC will distribute those reduced shares to the other members of the conference based on wins. Or in other words, attempting to appease Florida State, Clemson and Miami to not jump ship.

That creates two coast to coast conferences, one conference that stretches from the east coast to Arizona and a conference that stretches from the east coast to Texas.

Makes me wonder if the players are going to get Frequent Flyer Miles???? :wink:

……..and btw, what about Washington State and Oregon State?????? Oh, sorry I had a thoughtless moment…… nobody cares. :(

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-acc-pr ... 57088.html

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:03 pm

Mountainman wrote:……….and meanwhile, the ACC has made their decision. It’s Stanford, Cal accepting significantly reduced shares while SMU says they’ll take nothing at all. The ACC will distribute those reduced shares to the other members of the conference based on wins. Or in other words, attempting to appease Florida State, Clemson and Miami to not jump ship.

That creates two coast to coast conferences, one conference that stretches from the east coast to Arizona and a conference that stretches from the east coast to Texas.

……..and btw, what about Washington State and Oregon State?????? Oh, sorry I had a thoughtless moment…… nobody cares. :(

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-acc-pr ... 57088.html.

Not Miami ... Clemson, fsu, North Carolina and NC State were the ones previously voting no.

I think Oregon State and Washington State were holding out on the Mountain West in order to see if they could coerce Stanford and Cal to stay, while hoping to pull in other schools under the Pac banner.

Word had it, is they were attempting to lure other currently thought of as strong Go5 programs in, so they could try and finagle a retention of their Power5 status.

My guess is, we'll be hearing about Wash St & Oregon St to the MWC either by the end of today/tomorrow game broadcasts, or by sometime during next week's midday game block.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:05 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:……….and meanwhile, the ACC has made their decision. It’s Stanford, Cal accepting significantly reduced shares while SMU says they’ll take nothing at all. The ACC will distribute those reduced shares to the other members of the conference based on wins. Or in other words, attempting to appease Florida State, Clemson and Miami to not jump ship.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-acc-pr ... 57088.html.

Not Miami ... Clemson, fsu, North Carolina and NC State were the ones previously voting no.

I think Oregon State and Washington State were holding out on the Mountain West in order to see if they could coerce Stanford and Cal to stay, while hoping to pull in other schools under the Pac banner.

Word had it, is they were attempting to lure other currently thought of as strong Go5 programs in, so they could try and finagle a retention of their Power5 status.

My guess is, we'll be hearing about Wash St & Oregon St to the MWC either by the end of today/tomorrow game broadcasts, or by sometime during next week's midday game block.

You’re right about the voting and how it went. So let me do what I should have done and explain my thinking……..I believe the next round of ‘conference realignment’ will be in large part about culling underperforming conference teams and replacing those teams with ‘Brand Teams’. And with the ‘Mouse’ having the ACC reportedly locked up contractually for the broadcast rights until 2036 those ‘Brand Teams’ I mentioned, Florida State, Clemson and Miami, very well and probably will be targeted to fill the slots of the teams ‘asked to leave’ their current conference.

The Mouse and the Mouse’s TV competitors just love viewers and viewers just love brands.

8)

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am

SATIRE - the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people’s stupidity or vices.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/09/01/c ... s-no-sense

8) :D :? :roll: :wink:

Return to “General Discussion”