Did you know that West Virginia University is the 15th Rank Winningest Team in College Football History?????

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Did you know that West Virginia University is the 15th Rank Winningest Team in College Football History?????

Postby Mountainman » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:12 pm

……..and here’s where we find ourselves today. :shock: :oops: :shock: :oops:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... enn-state/

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Did you know that West Virginia University is the 15th Rank Winningest Team in College Football History?????

Postby Spence » Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:27 pm

I didn't know where WVU was ranked, but I have a real problem with #1.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Did you know that West Virginia University is the 15th Rank Winningest Team in College Football History?????

Postby Mountainman » Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:06 pm

I got that from an article a WVU guy wrote about WVU making the Bottom 25 List this week….That number of wins must include numbers from back in the late 1800’s when they first began to play.

But his point is well taken….. :roll:

https://voiceofmotown.com/west-virginia-ranked/
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:08 am

It is hard to maintain a productive program year in and out. Not many have ever been able to do it. Even the teams in the top 5 have had their issues.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:37 pm

Spence wrote:It is hard to maintain a productive program year in and out. Not many have ever been able to do it. Even the teams in the top 5 have had their issues.

Agreed, as Dabo and Clemson have experienced recently………. running and maintaining a winning program has so many moving parts that have to mesh and come together along with some luck, aka recruiting.

In WVU’s case with Neil Brown he is a big part of it, but the guy I who’s doorstep I lay this on is WVU’s former Athletic Director Shane Lyons. He hired Brown, after he ran Dana Holgorsen off with nonsense and restrictive contract language. He’s since been fired by the University in large part because he renegotiated Brown’s contract with pay increases and full term buyouts…….. seems Lyons forgot to run that by the Big Donors who pay to have a say in such matters. So Mountaineer fans, like me, will just have to wait until the buyout reaches a point that the big money guys are willing to dish out.

8)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:29 pm

That usually doesn't take long. :lol: Ohio State's big boys mostly sit on the board of regents or they collaborate with the regents to try and keep things like that from happening. But then again, Ohio State fans can be pretty demanding and if the regents gave them every thing they wanted, Ohio State would be going through rough times right now too. But firing a guy who was one field goal from a national championship is the stuff of legendary stupidity. So it is a good thing those guys have enough presence of mind to not pay attention to what the extreme idiots every whim. They usually have the next coach in place before the last one is gone.

Return to “General Discussion”