If I Had Told You Friday Night ...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

If I Had Told You Friday Night ...

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:54 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------

That Team A, whose identity seems to be running the football ...

Would only accrue 77 rushing yards, while acquiring 110 yards in penalties; having a Punt Blocked, that led to Touchdown points by Team B, and a Muffed Punt that also led to Touchdown points for Team B, Team A accumulating 16 1rst Downs to Team B's amassing 26 1rst Downs, all the while saying Team A's defense would not attribute a single sack against Team B, with Team B garnering 2 Sacks on Team A ---

You likely would think I were getting advice from my Living Room wall, were I to tell you that Team A would win 48-33, and the score wasn't indicative just how much better they played than Team B.

However, Miami did just that. A&M did not have an answer Miami's passing efficiency, with Tyler Van Dyke throwing 21 of 30, averaging 17.8 yards per reception, yielding 374 yards and 5 TD's.

Miami's Defensive players were flying to the all. On plays that would have embarrassed us last season, were turned into tackles for loss, and the players getting to the ball carrier before they could gain acceleration or momentum, tackling at the point of contact, not getting run over by the ball carrier.

Night & Day

The differences between this season and last are evident. This team looks like one in the hunt for something. The improvements are showing, the development is visible for the first time in years.

A note on the defensive side; Lance Guidry has this unit headed in the right direction --- while last year's DC Kevin Steele, is now on Alabama's sideline calling the shots.

Just something to think about.

Last edited by Cane from the Bend on Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Re: If I Had Told You Friday Night ...

Postby Derek » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:42 pm

Last weekend was wild wasn't it? 8)
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:54 pm

I’m gonna tell you what I believe is going to come out of things like this……. The boosters that are ponying up all this money for millions of dollars of guaranteed long term contracts for guys like Jimbo Fisher, and not to mention Mel Tucker at Michigan State, is going to stop. If these guys are trying to buy a Conference or National Title, it ain’t workin’.
:wink: :wink: :wink:

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:12 pm

Mountainman wrote:I’m gonna tell you what I believe is going to come out of things like this……. The boosters that are ponying up all this money for millions of dollars of guaranteed long term contracts for guys like Jimbo Fisher, and not to mention Mel Tucker at Michigan State, is going to stop. If these guys are trying to buy a Conference or National Title, it ain’t workin’.

They will keep trying though. They will just blame the coach, fire him, and movre on.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:06 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:I’m gonna tell you what I believe is going to come out of things like this……. The boosters that are ponying up all this money for millions of dollars of guaranteed long term contracts for guys like Jimbo Fisher, and not to mention Mel Tucker at Michigan State, is going to stop. If these guys are trying to buy a Conference or National Title, it ain’t workin’.

They will keep trying though. They will just blame the coach, fire him, and movre on.

…….as they take a page from Jerry Jones’ book, “How To Be A Wannabe Coach”….. just buy your way in, or in Jerry’s case, buy the whole team.

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:18 pm

Derek wrote:Last weekend was wild wasn't it? 8)

It was indeed ...

And, outside of Miami -v- A&M, or Texas -v- `Bama

I really enjoyed the lesser watched, even known about, game; UTSA -v- Texas State

Here was one that had solid defensive play throughout. Nobody could really get that breakaway score. After the Roadrunners scored their TD in the 3rd, it seemed like that was all she wrote. The Bobcats simply weren't moving the ball well enough to challenge.

They got one solid momentum play that gave them a spark of confidence, and got down into field goal position, making the game interesting. A couple of defensive exchanges, and UTSA put up a FG of their own. T State was able to make a last effort drive that almost found the end zone, but came up just short with a turnover on downs, giving the Roadrunners the ball back deep on their own side of the field with the ability to kneel the clock out.

I merely tuned in, because I saw a link on my laptop after the ND / NC Sate game finally ended, and he Miami game finally got onto network TV. After that 2 hour rain delay, and Miami/A&M getting bumped to espn2 for the first portion, I had a difficult time finding a stream; they virtually all defaulted to the ND/NC State finish.

When I finally found one, I still had my laptop open when the game switch over to network broadcast, and had the available window space ready to keep a second game going, so I opened the Roadrunners vs Bobcats.

By the way; You know what game had more viewers than Notre Dame -v- NC State ..?

Miami -v- Texas A&M @ 4.02 million

As a matter of fact, the Miami/A&M game had the 3rd highest ratings out of all the games this past weekend.

At the top was Colorado -v- Nebraska, then it was Texas -v- Alabama

Not bad for a 3rd place rating considering the delay to broadcast.

Other gems of the day:

James Madison -v- Virginia
Utah -v- Baylor
Texas Tech -v- Oregon
Washington State -v- Wisconsin
North Carolina -v- App State

All of these were worth the time to watch.

A couple of games I wish I hadn't missed were:

Houston -v- Rice [I never even suspected this would be what it became]
Arizona -v- Miss State [No way I'd have guessed this would've found overtime]
Cal -v- Auburn [I started watching it, but laid down with a headache before getting up to checkout the final scores]

I'm thinking about trying to find a YouTube upload for the Rice/Houston game, just to see what in the world Holgorsen was not doing. This was supposed to be Houston's coming out party, as a new Big XII member, and they go and lose to the Owls.

Maybe Rice was ticked that they didn't invited to the ball, and wanted to prove something ... Idk.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:30 pm

Miami is predicted to be favored in every remaining game but one.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:53 pm

billybud wrote:Miami is predicted to be favored in every remaining game but one.

I don't like to talk like that, purely because I am cautiously optimistic about where this team is headed.

For me, it's too early to buy in as a 10 win team. Not that I do not believe we have the talent or coaching to do it. It's just, I've seen the collapse far too often to be taken off guard by it, anymore.

I do agree, that the one game the line makers predict us to lose, is probably going to end just that way. But, if it can stay close, we may have a chance. [Lord knows that game usually ends with the shyest margin of victory]

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”