A Cliche Notion No More Real Than Ever ...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

A Cliche Notion No More Real Than Ever ...

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:20 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

Parody in College Football has become a term that is a Cliche as Turkey & Pumpkin Pie @ Thanksgiving ...

However, other than a few anecdotes sprinkled out there during a season, Parody is generally nothing more than a buzz word used by the media to either draw interest to an otherwise uninteresting game ... or it is used to propagate the strength of the opponent of a team, who anyone with common sense knows is better, just to conflate how elite the Name Brand darling will appear to us in the aftermath.

However, this year is different.

I can't remember the last time we've had such Parody in multiple conferences, while the elite teams do not have that something extra to set themselves apart from the rest.

No doubt, the Big Dogs are still the faces driving the bus. Though, they may find that a second bus is pulling up next to them, ready to take advantage of the slightest error.

We're 6 weeks in, and I cannot confidently say who stands out as the best team in the land. I can clearly see who the competitors are. I can also see who's waiting in the wings to step up, in the event one of the forerunners slips up. What I do not see is that team, whose trajectory is obviously the standard for the sport going forward.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A Cliche Notion No More Real Than Ever ...

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:48 pm

No clear dog in this race for sure.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:04 am

Transfer Portals and NIL dollars probably has something to do with that…… I read this morning where the ‘boosters’ out in Utah presented every player on the team a brand spanking new pickup truck valued at $60,000.00 plus….. even though they don’t have an offense that can score.

……..and don’t forget ‘Prime Time’ out in Colorado bringing in all the celebrities, and their money, in his best Pete Carroll imitation.

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:27 pm

Hey Cane……… you’ve got a fan. Dodd must have read your post. 8)

Uh, btw…. If you want to sue Dodd for plagiarism I know a crooked judge and an attorney with a mouth like a bear trap right here in the Hills and Hollers. :lol:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -football/

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:21 pm

Mountainman wrote:Hey Cane……… you’ve got a fan. Dodd must have read your post. 8)

Uh, btw…. If you want to sue Dodd for plagiarism I know a crooked judge and an attorney with a mouth like a bear trap right here in the Hills and Hollers. :lol:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -football/.

Good Lord, he actually said Parity is happening, and not in a cliché fashion.

And he posted that article on my birthday, too.

hmm ...

I wonder.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:10 pm

Happy Birthday!!!!!!

You can have this……. and eat it too!!!!!

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.3e157e62601 ... ImgRaw&r=0

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:44 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Hey Cane……… you’ve got a fan. Dodd must have read your post. 8)

hmm ...

I wonder.

Cane = Dodd
You heard it here first :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:13 pm

Spence wrote:
Cane from the Bend wrote:

hmm ...

I wonder.

Cane = Dodd
You heard it here first :lol:

Just call me Ghost writer 8)

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:19 pm

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:32 pm

Coaches Poll October 8, 2023

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/p ... 023-10-08/

…..,. Just some food for thought about the topic. 8)

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:48 pm

Mountainman wrote:Coaches Poll October 8, 2023

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/p ... 023-10-08/

…..,. Just some food for thought about the topic. 8) .

Gotta say, a lot of this one I agree with ...

ND falling out of the top 20 is pleasing. I don't think you could keep them up there after that loss. However, undefeated Louisville, in the way they billy-jacked the leprechauns, should be at the very least be ahead of 1 loss Oregon State; probably Ole Miss, too.

I do not exactly like the placement of #10 & #11, though.

We saw these teams play head to head on Bama's home field. I don't care that Texas has the more recent loss. They went into Tuscaloosa and beat the Tide outright. And made it look rather easy.

At some point, the results on the field have to matter. And in this case, we have direct data to show which team is better.

Cane... [__]

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:29 am

I would agree and say this is the weirdest year I can remember.

The next 4 weeks are going to see some serious surprises. Who is gonna upset Ga? I'm afraid that it's going to happen. Brock Bowers is a huge loss. Fortunately this is an off weekend.

Something has to give, and obviously Ohio State and Michigan will take care of itself when they play each other. I'm not so sure I believe Michigan is that great a team.

I don't see any undefeated team, that has a walk for the rest of the year.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”