Did Somebody Say Signals ..?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Did Somebody Say Signals ..?

Postby Mountainman » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:09 pm

Spence wrote:Something in this doesn’t add up to me. I understand trying to get an edge on B1G teams or even playoff teams. I don’t understand why they would take a chance on getting caught at central Michigan. Unless Harbaugh is just a huge idiot what would make that worth it?

Central Michigan was playing Michigan State……. but that doesn’t mean Harbaugh is any less of of idiot. :roll: :roll: :roll:

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:45 pm

:lol: :lol:

Ok. That makes more sense. Just from a coaching perspective I would always look at the Risk/Reward factor. Does the Reward make the risk worth taking. If I am playing golf and my ball is position behind a tree so I can't go at the green, the narrow angle lets me hit it to 70 yards and the wider/safer angle lets me hit it to 110 yards, the risk would not be worth it. Some would argue the 110 yard shot is easier to hit closer to the pin. I use that same reasoning in business. Always does the reward make the risk worth it. If it doesn't, I don't take the gamble. Nothing is risk free, but trying to put yourself in the best position to succeed with the least amount of risk is the key. That is like coaching 101 so I would think Harbaugh would look at it from this angle.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:14 am

BigTen coaches in uproar, demand action……….. “We know what happened….. “ 8)

https://sports.yahoo.com/big-ten-coache ... 33786.html

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:17 am

This is kind of petty regarding the coaches. They should wait for a decision from the conference or the NCAA. It is too the advantage of everyone else in the league to disqualify Michigan so their option is biased based on that fact and shouldn’t be considered.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:00 pm

Spence wrote:This is kind of petty regarding the coaches. They should wait for a decision from the conference or the NCAA. It is too the advantage of everyone else in the league to disqualify Michigan so their option is biased based on that fact and shouldn’t be considered.

I’m guessing they’re just posturing and getting some distance between themselves and Harbaugh’s antics. Lotsof donors out there that contribute a ton of money to the schools, athletics programs and Coach’s salaries and I’m sure they’ll want to have some assurance that things are on the up and up……. and who knows who may not want the NCAA to broaden its investigation for whatever reason. 8)

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:32 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:This is kind of petty regarding the coaches. They should wait for a decision from the conference or the NCAA. It is too the advantage of everyone else in the league to disqualify Michigan so their option is biased based on that fact and shouldn’t be considered.

I’m guessing they’re just posturing and getting some distance between themselves and Harbaugh’s antics. Lotsof donors out there that contribute a ton of money to the schools, athletics programs and Coach’s salaries and I’m sure they’ll want to have some assurance that things are on the up and up……. and who knows who may not want the NCAA to broaden its investigation for whatever reason. 8) .

Well, that ...

And drag Michigan's name through the mud, to affect recruiting.

Always assume everyone is playing an angle. :wink:

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:35 pm

Everyone on that call was playing an angle for sure.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:32 am

The conference has already declared that they will take no action...it is an NCAA matter.

If you remember the NC game between FSU and Auburn...Auburn was up 21-10 at the half...

FSU player Kelvin Benjamin could be heard on the broadcast yelling out to the sideline that Auburn was calling out the plays before the snap...FSU went into halftime, hid their signalling...and boom...all of a sudden the offense moved.

"Fisher said Monday. "That happens, people do it, and that's our fault. You've got to change them, constantly rotate them, being able to get them in different ways. That's part of the game. I don't have a problem with that."
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:49 pm

billybud wrote:The conference has already declared that they will take no action...it is an NCAA matter.

If you remember the NC game between FSU and Auburn...Auburn was up 21-10 at the half...

FSU player Kelvin Benjamin could be heard on the broadcast yelling out to the sideline that Auburn was calling out the plays before the snap...FSU went into halftime, hid their signalling...and boom...all of a sudden the offense moved.

"Fisher said Monday. "That happens, people do it, and that's our fault. You've got to change them, constantly rotate them, being able to get them in different ways. That's part of the game. I don't have a problem with that."

Yep ... not that I am one to generally take up for fsu, but I used that same example with someone the other day to show this isn't just a Michigan thing. It's been going on for quite a while.

The full on SEC, SEC, SEC fans do not like it when you tell them something such as this. They seem to take it as an affront to their sacred brand. However, this was a very real thing. And, not everything Jimbo says is handled with class; this was one occasion where he knew just what to say.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:48 pm

Football is serious in the south...

My uncle, his kids, my brother, my sister's kid...are all Auburn grads.

When FSU played Auburn in that NC game, my silly brothr kept messaging me on Facebook (of course I was watching the game]...so, up comfortably at the half, he kept typing in "crickets"..

After the game, I found his messages and typed..."sure I'll discuss the game...How about that full field drive by FSU with no timeouts against the best defense in the SEC to win with 15 seconds on the clock ?"

He unfriended me and we did not speak to each other for three years.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:02 pm

billybud wrote:Football is serious in the south...

My uncle, his kids, my brother, my sister's kid...are all Auburn grads.

When FSU played Auburn in that NC game, my silly brothr kept messaging me on Facebook (of course I was watching the game]...so, up comfortably at the half, he kept typing in "crickets"..

After the game, I found his messages and typed..."sure I'll discuss the game...How about that full field drive by FSU with no timeouts against the best defense in the SEC to win with 15 seconds on the clock ?"

He unfriended me and we did not speak to each other for three years.

When they were little I told my kids people from Michigan hit little kids and kicked puppies. They were very scared of their Sunday school teacher who was from Michigan.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:03 pm

When our son was playing youth soccer in Tallahassee, one of the parents brought a tub of GatorAde...the boys refused to drink it. The exasperated parent ran out to buy PowerAde. While he was making his run, I peeled the labels off of the Gator Ade and the boys were swigging it when he returned. Some solutions are easier than they appear.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:23 pm

It is all about principles. :)

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:41 pm

billybud wrote:When our son was playing youth soccer in Tallahassee, one of the parents brought a tub of GatorAde...the boys refused to drink it. The exasperated parent ran out to buy PowerAde. While he was making his run, I peeled the labels off of the Gator Ade and the boys were swigging it when he returned. Some solutions are easier than they appear.

The only thing gator is good for, is Luggage Exterior, Shoes, Belt Leather, Soup and Fishing Bait.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:49 pm

Our rivals just cheat.

Return to “General Discussion”