Understandable That Many Are Questioning…….

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Understandable That Many Are Questioning…….

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:54 pm

…….. that Florida State was left out of the CFP, but in addition I’m questioning how Texas got in. Sure, they beat Alabama, while losing to Oklahoma, but who in the hell else did they beat??? :roll:

https://www.bing.com/sportsdetails?q=te ... isl2=true&

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Understandable That Many Are Questioning…….

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:22 pm

I get that too. I am guessing Michigan, Washington, Alabama, and Georgia would have been to much for them too. Also they couldn't put Alabam in without Texas being in or they would have had more hypocrisy.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:35 pm

Spence wrote:I get that too. I am guessing Michigan, Washington, Alabama, and Georgia would have been to much for them too.

………now that’s a head-scratcher for sure things didn’t turn out that way. I believe Georgia beats Texas on the field while Florida State out performed the Longhorns during the regular season.

It’s not a good thing for the game, but here on the board we’ve been discussing the direction and consequences of the actions the powers that be have been taking the game for some time. It’s nothing but a money grab with the integrity of the process and the game paying the price.

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:41 pm

:wink: It just proves that no subjective process works. No algorithm has proven to work. What will work. Put in the conference champs and play them off. Some games will be blowouts - of course that never happened when the humans did it. :wink: Some years the best team will be left out because they lost their championship game. That hasn’t happened with the humans either.
What it will do is guarantee a path to a championship where everyone controls their destiny at the beginning of the season - that for sure has never happened under the computers or the humans and I am not winking this time.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:59 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:I get that too. I am guessing Michigan, Washington, Alabama, and Georgia would have been to much for them too.

………now that’s a head-scratcher for sure things didn’t turn out that way. I believe Georgia beats Texas on the field while Florida State out performed the Longhorns during the regular season.

It’s not a good thing for the game, but here on the board we’ve been discussing the direction and consequences of the actions the powers that be have been taking the game for some time. It’s nothing but a money grab with the integrity of the process and the game paying the price..

Whereas I'm glad, as a Hurricane to not have to here, How Florida State Won A National Championship, and that Miami wasn't even good enough to play in the tournament; FSU should be in this Playoff.

Here's a great 18 minute take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw_V0vaJaiE

Also, I'd like to note.

Had the Committee selected the 4 best teams a week ago, before the games.

Oregon would have been let in, while Washington would have been left out, as everyone had Oregon winning as a Double Digit favorite in the Pac-12 Title Game.

Washington won, proving the method for this model is already wrong.

It is not who we think the best teams are that matter. Because that is an absolutely subjective ideology.

Plain and simple, this was a tea party that Charlie Brown wasn't invited to.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:34 pm

………….. Charlie Brown needs to send Lucy and have her ask a question about whether or not Greg Sankey, AND ESPN had influence on the CFP Selection Committee’s choices.
Considering Sankey was running around advocating that TWO SEC Teams should be in the field, Alabama and Georgia, but for obvious reasons, couldn’t sell it.
Soooooo, being the clever power brokers they are, change their tact and tells the committee, ‘OK, let’s do ‘Bama and one of our newest conference members…… The Texas Longhorns. “But, but, but…. What about the undefeated and conference champion Florida State???” “How do we explain that” the committee asks. “Tell them their quarterback is injured……..”

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ant-again/

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:17 pm

Mountainman wrote:………….. Charlie Brown needs to send Lucy and have her ask a question about whether or not Greg Sankey, AND ESPN had influence on the CFP Selection Committee’s choices.
Considering Sankey was running around advocating that TWO SEC Teams should be in the field, Alabama and Georgia, but for obvious reasons, couldn’t sell it.
Soooooo, being the clever power brokers they are, change their tact and tells the committee, ‘OK, let’s do ‘Bama and one of our newest conference members…… The Texas Longhorns. “But, but, but…. What about the undefeated and conference champion Florida State???” “How do we explain that” the committee asks. “Tell them their quarterback is injured……..”

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ant-again/

:wink: :wink: :wink:

O' believe me, I had a similar take, and responded to the espn talking heads collective after their lauding the committee's choices.

Here is what my response to Galloway was:

Me wrote:Joey, if that is truly your stance, then explain the Committee's choice to put Cincinnati in the playoff, when they were clearly not one of the Best 4. Also, explain the reason for TCU being let in, by the same Committee, if it's only about the 4 best in College Football.

Looking at those "for instances" Nullifies your entire perspective. The Committee got it right, then. And chose not to, now. This is not a Selection Committee. It's an Election Committee voting for their favored Candidates.

This was what I had to say after Herbstreit's gibberish:

Me wrote:Hold on ... Are we talking about what FSU did over their last two games, as Kirk mentions?

If that's the case, then what did Alabama and Georgia do in their last two games?

Florida, Georgia, Auburn. Each of these are the rivals of the respective schools. So, the 'Because Auburn plays Bama hard' rhetoric goes right out the window. And Ga Tech!? Seriously, the argument is trash if that is anyone's justification. What an ignoramus take.

I hate the Crimi'noles. But they did the only thing they could to get In. Win. Same team or not.

This is not a playoff. This is an invitational. And nothing will change next year with the 12 team format.

The Committee, which should not exist anymore, will Select the 4 Best Conference Champs, who will all receive unfair purely brewed bias contrived Byes in the 1rst round.

The other 8 will have to prepare for 2 games, and play an extra game by decision of a board room, that has nothing to do with Objectivity. This whole model is nothing other than Subjective. It was designed to keep smaller schools from having a chance to play for a Championship, and make the rich schools richer.

You wanted the Playoffs to be about College Football Supremacy? Well, that is exactly what you got. A bunch of people spearheading a Supremacist Ideology over the Sport, claiming visuals over values. You have chosen optics instead of Win/Loss measures.

Congratulations, folks. Land-grabbers have Hijacked College Football. Winning truly doesn't matter anymore. Just have your conference's preferred TV network bribe the Committee. Because an Election Committee, not a Selection Committee, voted on this year's favored candidates.

The supremacy and land grabbers comments were a stab at how Disney uses social media to slander people with these sort of woke talking points. I was just using their own idiom against them.

And then to the whole of the ESPN group:

Me wrote:Going into Championship weekend, we were told, that if Oregon had won, they would be in the Playoff.

The Ducks lost as a Double Digit favorite, in most prediction and power ratings logs.

What Washington did, proved that being 'Thought Of' as one of the 4 Best in the country is inconsequential.

The 4 Best is always Subjective and never a proven process. So this format of a Selection Committee is a Fraudulent design.

I am by no means a florida state fan. Even still, this is a Terrible Day for College Football.

Objectivity & Reason died.

And the Committee is nothing more than Disney's puppet head, that talks when the strings are pulled. Tell me precisely how this same sort of Subjectivity is not going to be used to determine who the Top 4 Teams will be selected in Next Season's 12 Team model. Because those 4 Teams will receive Byes.They will have an unfair advantage with an extra week to rest and prepare for their opponents. ESPN is very much a part of this process. I'm not buying the production you put into this trash

The guys in the studio may not already know who the 4 teams will be. But the Producers all do. And the Committee's prepared statement after the 'Selection' does not suffice.

I can't wait until Disney goes belly up bankrupt and has to sell off ESPN. Maybe when FOX gets their hands on the playoff rights, and ESPN loses their ability to maintain Exclusive SEC/Tournament rights, unable to fulfill your $100 million per team yearly stipend, we'll actually get to have an unbiased Selection, without Compromising Conflicts of Interests in appearing teams.

I now some of that seems redundant, but I was addressing them individually, then collectively.

I've never felt like it had been so evident that Herbstreit and Galloway were so network agenda absolutists.

Reese just being a Good Little Anchor Boy, agreeing with the 'Process' and McElroy straddling the fence like he's audition for the pole at the local Kitty Kat Lounge didn't sit well with me.

Last edited by Cane from the Bend on Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:00 pm

Booger did call the committee out.

I do think that the people blaming Alabama are wrong. Alabama did nothing but believe in themselves. This lays squarely on the shoulders of the committee and their biases.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:22 am

Spence wrote:Booger did call the committee out.

I do think that the people blaming Alabama are wrong. Alabama did nothing but believe in themselves. This lays squarely on the shoulders of the committee and their biases.

I do blame the committee for the blatant favoritism to Bama. They did it in 2018 when they put Bama in without even winning the conference or making it to the title game.

It's like they don't even try to hide it. Bama get's a pass.

IF IF (big hypothetical) Clemson was in FSUs shoes this year....do you honestly believe they would keep Clemson out? The answer is no IMO.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:00 pm

Most years, maybe this year too, Bama is one of the best teams. I don’t think there is an argument for that. But earning your way in should have something to do with it. And yes, Alabama did probably have the best win of the season. And one of the best losses, but they had a loss. Florida State didn’t. If they would have put Bama in over Texas, there would have been grumbling, but I could at least justify the fact that a team can grow and be better at the end than the beginning. I guess it can be worse too, but Florida State never lost. Bama didn’t look great again South Florida or Auburn more recently. Winning, especially against a good schedule should matter.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:06 pm

I really want to go on a rant……. So I’ll just sum up what’s been many times on this board, and leave it at that.

College Football Is A darn Mess!!!!!

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:18 pm

Spence wrote:Most years, maybe this year too, Bama is one of the best teams. I don’t think there is an argument for that. But earning your way in should have something to do with it. And yes, Alabama did probably have the best win of the season. And one of the best losses, but they had a loss. Florida State didn’t. If they would have put Bama in over Texas, there would have been grumbling, but I could at least justify the fact that a team can grow and be better at the end than the beginning. I guess it can be worse too, but Florida State never lost. Bama didn’t look great again South Florida or Auburn more recently. Winning, especially against a good schedule should matter.

Worse still ...

The same mental gymnasts in the media who are saying the Committee got it right with the tournament; Have been saying the Committee got it wrong by not selecting SMU as the best in the Group of 5, to play in a New Year's Six bowl.

Again, here, the argument is similar, still absurd:

Liberty is 13-0
SMU is 11-2

Their argument is that SMU's losses were to Oklahoma and TCU. Whereas Liberty did not play an FBS opponent.

So, in their brilliance, because SMU has scheduled FBS teams, they have earned the right to play in the New Year's Six game.

However, they lost to the Sooners [28-11] and the Horned Frogs [34-17], which is by 17 points, each.

Also, TCU is a Traditional Rival to SMU, and they are scheduled to play a series. On top of that, TCU finished 5-7, not Bowl eligible and lost at Home to a Colorado team who finished 4-8, to open the year.

As for Liberty ... They Are Undefeated!!

These intellectually Malnourished Poppets are saying SMU was robbed.

The literal value of simply winning is now being attributed as abject failure.

And yet, if we still had the BCS, these very same media stop-motion animated caricatures would be crying foul on Liberty's behalf. And that this is the very reason we need a playoff.

In the BCS era, these scripted voice boxes would have discarded SMU from consideration after their first loss.

Amazing, how you give these buffoons precisely what they asked for ... and they're still complaining.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:29 pm

I heard the same argument with Liberty and SMU. That has been my point. They use the criteria to spin things to fit their narrative. Sometimes two completely conflicting arguments in the same year.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:59 am

Mountainman wrote:………….. Charlie Brown needs to send Lucy and have her ask a question about whether or not Greg Sankey, AND ESPN had influence on the CFP Selection Committee’s choices.
Soooooo, being the clever power brokers they are, change their tact and tells the committee, ‘OK, let’s do ‘Bama and one of our newest conference members…… The Texas Longhorns. “But, but, but…. What about the undefeated and conference champion Florida State???” “How do we explain that” the committee asks. “Tell them their quarterback is injured……..” :wink: :wink: :wink: .

Even these folks know it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZm3pc5HbsY

Bet that Greg's name isn't Sankey.

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:26 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Soooooo, being the clever power brokers they are, change their tact and tells the committee, ‘OK, let’s do ‘Bama and one of our newest conference members…… The Texas Longhorns. “But, but, but…. What about the undefeated and conference champion Florida State???” “How do we explain that” the committee asks. “Tell them their quarterback is injured……..” :wink: :wink: :wink: .

Even these folks know it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZm3pc5HbsY

Bet that Greg's name isn't Sankey.

Thanks Cane…….. I needed the parody. 8)

College Football is in a state of chaos……… lacking leadership.

Return to “General Discussion”