James Franklin……… ‘not sustainable’

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

James Franklin……… ‘not sustainable’

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:18 am

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: James Franklin……… ‘not sustainable’

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:35 pm

Because with the pressure to win comes justification to skirt the rules or the fact that their aren't many rules.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:30 pm

I wonder why the coaches, like Franklin, didn’t show concern and raise and take issue about the practices, issues and inequities surrounding College Football before now.

I looked-up Franklin’s salary. The site reported $10,000,000 per year.

10,000,000 dollars per year divided by 365 days per year = $27,397.26 per day. I’d suggest he’s more concerned about the sustainability of that.

8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:18 pm

Mountainman wrote:I wonder why the coaches, like Franklin, didn’t show concern and raise and take issue about the practices, issues and inequities surrounding College Football before now.

10,000,000 dollars per year divided by 365 days per year = $27,397.26 per day. I’d suggest he’s more concerned about the sustainability of that.

8)

None of them like other schools bidding on their committed players in the name of NIL. When they moved the early signing day up none of them knew about NIL, now they have to not only sure up their committed players, but noew they have to recruit players to replace players leaving through the portal. Not that everyone of them isn't over paid.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:30 am

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:I wonder why the coaches, like Franklin, didn’t show concern and raise and take issue about the practices, issues and inequities surrounding College Football before now.

8)

None of them like other schools bidding on their committed players in the name of NIL. When they moved the early signing day up none of them knew about NIL, now they have to not only sure up their committed players, but noew they have to recruit players to replace players leaving through the portal. Not that everyone of them isn't over paid.

The coaches, through their Coaches Association, have the power to stop this stuff by simply saying ‘We’re not going to do this’, but they’re not going to do that. And I’m not picking on just Franklin, they’re all bought and paid for….. and who could blame them…… considering the dollars and benefits they receive. But for heaven’s sake, don’t whine and cry ‘Whoa is me, Whoa is me’ about it. :roll:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:49 pm

But the way supply and demand works, there is always someone who will dip their foot in because the pressure to suceed. They coaches can't just decide on their own to not do it, because they can't live up to it. Also, in the current environment it may be considered collusion or an anti trust violation.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:25 pm

Chip Kelly has voiced his thoughts about a different model and modus operandi that, at least on the surface, makes sense……… in a nutshell, implement the ‘NFL Model’.

Hopefully, ‘they’ will flesh it out……. I gotta say, I was impressed when Charlie Baker dropped an unannounced and new proposal at the NCAA Convention.

8)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:03 pm

I am not sure I have much faith in any of them. They have to come up with a system that gives every team a fair begining. You can't ever guarantee results, but if everyone starts in the same place and the rules in place are really enforced unilaterally, it would all work. Then they need to chuck the committee give automatic bids for performance inside conferences and move on.

Return to “General Discussion”