Paul Finebaum Reports……..

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Paul Finebaum Reports……..

Postby Mountainman » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:47 pm

………… Nick Saban to retire.

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Paul Finebaum Reports……..

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:31 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, just saw some commotion about this ...

Have to admit, I didn't see this one coming so soon.

Do they try and poach Kirby ..?

Maybe Sark .?.

Dabo ?..

One thing is for sure. This is the day the Tide faithful have feared.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:34 pm

Mountainman wrote:………… Nick Saban to retire..

Now, for the conspiracy post ...

Who knew in the Committee, and possibly gave him an attempt at a final hoorah?

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:46 pm

I don’t know about the conspiracy thing. I do think Saban was just tired of all coaches have to deal with now. I remember when Saban took over for Pete Carroll at Ohio State. I remember him at Michigan State. He was a better coach than everyone he played then. The old saying that he could take his and beat yours then take yours and beat you again was true with him. I don’t know if he is the best ever, but he was the best I have ever seen.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:16 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------

Word is ...

Alabama has already hired Saban's replacement, and it will be announced tomorrow afternoon.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:12 pm

That probably means it is an in house hire. I wouldn't want to follow Nick Saban. I don't believe there is anything the guy can do to keep that job. The guy after the guy has a chance to not be compared.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:40 pm

Spence wrote:That probably means it is an in house hire. I wouldn't want to follow Nick Saban. I don't believe there is anything the guy can do to keep that job. The guy after the guy has a chance to not be compared.

Has anyone checked Meyer's social media ...

About the only guy I think could bring enough noise unless they got Smart.

Outside of that, I do not know who could sustain the scrutiny.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:05 am

I think that would be the only job to bring Meyer back. I don't think it would work for the same reason Saban quit. I am guessing that Saban didn't want to deal with the new CFB rules. It makes it almost impossible to build and develop at team. I can't see it working for Urban Meyer any more that it worked for Saban. I look for both of them to remain in CFB on the broadcast side.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:02 pm

My guess is that College Football has changed so much and continues to do so, that a guy like Saban, at 72 years old, decided it’s time to go at least as part of the reason(s).

………and btw, shortly after Saban’s announcement, some 5-star de-committed from the Tide.

P.S. Remember Saban saying the Alabama Center claimed he heard ‘clapping’ during the snap count as the reason for all his miscues during the game with Michigan……. I hope that gets clearer-up one way or the other. And btw, the Center has reportedly transferred from the Tide.

8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:06 pm

Spence wrote:That probably means it is an in house hire. I wouldn't want to follow Nick Saban. I don't believe there is anything the guy can do to keep that job. The guy after the guy has a chance to not be compared.

I think we've all learned, that face value, and official story is rarely the factual when it comes to thee matters.

And when you read the room, it's easy to see some of what's being smudged between the lines.

Dan Lanning was clearly Bama's 1rst name on the list. They thought they had him, quite as obvious as Tyrone Willingham being ushered out the door from the Dome, because they were so sure Urban Meyer was going to sign with them ... until flurDah! offered him $1 million more, when $1 million was still considered "Up There" for a premium Head Coaching job in major College Football.

Urban cashed in on Twice as much, and I'm sure what we didn't get to see, was the deal made behind closed doors, when Lanning was staying quiet during the rumors being juttered about, surrounding his exit.

Dan Lanning comes out today and posts on social media; "If you're scared of your head coach leaving, come play for us."

That feels like a swing and a miss for Tuscaloosa.

And what solidifies that in my mind, is how the time table for Alabama making their announcement went from yesterday afternoon, to; "We will have a new head coach within 72 hours."

Now I'm hearing it could be Monday.

Possibly, it was hubris.

They thought they were a lock, and just expected the agreement.

Maybe Saban was Alabama, and next man up isn't believing in the Keys to the Kingdom offer.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”