Hey Young Man, What Do You Say………

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Hey Young Man, What Do You Say………

Postby Mountainman » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:08 am

……you wanna come play for $180K??????? 8)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... iolations/

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hey Young Man, What Do You Say………

Postby Spence » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:32 pm

Who knew there were any rules about pay for play any more? I thought it was a pure free agency type thing now without contracts.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:45 pm

Is this because the head of the nil collective was a booster? Or because he wasn't a member of the team when offered a deal? Or because a coach initiated the meeting between a booster and a recruit? Or because the recruit was a member of another team and off limits until he entered the transfer portal?

Because a Schottenstein that is a booster runs Ohio State's Nil collective (or at least started it). And I have heard of recruits not coming to schools because of the NIL money being not good enough and also last minute NIL bidding wars on recruits. I am completely perplexed about what they did wrong that no one else is doing. The grey area is turning brown in my eyes.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:10 pm

Spence wrote:Is this because the head of the nil collective was a booster? Or because he wasn't a member of the team when offered a deal? Or because a coach initiated the meeting between a booster and a recruit? Or because the recruit was a member of another team and off limits until he entered the transfer portal?

Because a Schottenstein that is a booster runs Ohio State's Nil collective (or at least started it). And I have heard of recruits not coming to schools because of the NIL money being not good enough and also last minute NIL bidding wars on recruits. I am completely perplexed about what they did wrong that no one else is doing. The grey area is turning brown in my eyes.

There were reports that fsu had been paying high school recruits as much as $15,000 a month to consider going there, during these kids junior and senior high school years.

Some of it was coming from potential recruits, who were dropping social media bombs about getting paid, and now they reconsidered where they were going.

I don't know if that's it.

But if it is, then we may see some paradigm shift.

If that isn't it, then my guess the NCAA is acting, because the media was about to break a story of some sort on them. And they are proactively getting ahead of it.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Return to “General Discussion”