CFP heads toward the 5-7 format……….

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

CFP heads toward the 5-7 format……….

Postby Mountainman » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:19 pm

………pending a rubber stamp approval. 8)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... 24-season/

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: CFP heads toward the 5-7 format……….

Postby Spence » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:28 pm

Can't let them both have a spot. That would be terrible.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:11 pm

………. just wondering how it would be bracketed?????? I’m guessing since the ‘selection committee’ will ‘rank’ and therefore be choosing the spots 1 - 12, resulting in top 4 will getting a bye and 5 - 12 would play a opening round. :?

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:29 pm

Mountainman wrote:………. just wondering how it would be bracketed?????? I’m guessing the top 4 will get a bye and 5 - 12 would play a opening round. :? .

The 4 bye model was their plan for a while ...

My guess is because they want to drag it out until people cry foul, everyone should play the same number of games.

At which point we'll get the 16 team model, post division split of the power conference teams from the group of whatever there'll be. Likely after the ACC disbands, and the money schools are absorbed by the SEC & Big Ten.

They've officially voted on the 12, 5-7 format, and it has passed.

The verbiage still changes nothing for the lower brands.

The top five conference champs all receive auto-bids [any guesses to whom they will be?]

The next Top Ranked 7 teams will receive invites.

So, if the Top 5 Conference Champions are not in the Top 5 to 10, schools by committee ranked above them will be given the nod.

Remember all that talk about making things more fair for the Mid Majors, by the espn ilk during the BCS era.

I warned then, that all of it was just a bunch of nonsense to get their hands on the rights to the Playoff they were suggesting.

They were talking Pay for Play
Playoff for Balance
espn personalities Getting to Vote for Rankings

How far down this road do we want to travel?

I'm sure I'll keep watching, because like all other Bubbles, theirs is eventually going to burst. And when it does, we may finally get the Sport we all hoped for.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:24 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:………. just wondering how it would be bracketed?????? I’m guessing the top 4 will get a bye and 5 - 12 would play a opening round. :? .

My guess is because they want to drag it out until people cry foul, everyone should play the same number of games.

At which point we'll get the 16 team model, post division split of the power conference teams from the group of whatever there'll be. Likely after the ACC disbands, and the money schools are absorbed by the SEC & Big Ten.

The top five conference champs all receive auto-bids [any guesses to whom they will be?]

So, if the Top 5 Conference Champions are not in the Top 5 to 10, schools by committee ranked above them will be given the nod.

Remember all that talk about making things more fair for the Mid Majors, by the espn ilk during the BCS era.

I warned then, that all of it was just a bunch of nonsense to get their hands on the rights to the Playoff they were suggesting.

Playoff for Balance

I'm sure I'll keep watching, because like all other Bubbles, theirs is eventually going to burst. And when it does, we may finally get the Sport we all hoped for.

…………. and with this Your Honor, I rest his case. 8)

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/ki ... bowl-games

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:59 pm

Mountainman wrote:

Playoff for Balance

I'm sure I'll keep watching, because like all other Bubbles, theirs is eventually going to burst. And when it does, we may finally get the Sport we all hoped for..

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/ki ... bowl-games.

Kirk Herbstreit is proving to be everything that FSU and Georgia fans have been telling us he is.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:44 pm

Mountainman wrote:

Playoff for Balance

I'm sure I'll keep watching, because like all other Bubbles, theirs is eventually going to burst. And when it does, we may finally get the Sport we all hoped for..

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/ki ... bowl-games.

Kirk Herbstreit is proving to be everything that FSU and Georgia fans have been telling us he is.

……….New rules this day and time…….. DO NOT THINK FOR YOURSELF, HAVE NO THOUGHT PROCESS, WE’LL TELL YOU WHAT TO THINK, AND THERE ARE NO QUESTIONS ALLOWED, just follow along and shake your head up and down, like a chicken pecking corn, and we’ll tell you what you like and prefer and do your thinking for you.

:roll:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:42 pm

Just like the media controlling thought in every other facet of life.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:07 pm

Certainly appears to me as if College Football is about to complete a full circle back to the days when POLLS, such as the AP poll, the UPI poll and probably more that I’ve forgotten about, determined who plays who and who’s the Champ…….. that pot of gold the media offers up must just be irresistible. Seems that the ‘Powers That Be’ in College Football are simply not capable or willing to simply create a way that provides a path for all teams to determine their fate on the field. That seems to go against the nature of the game, hopefully they don’t stop keeping score and start letting some group or committee decide which team wins a game.

And once again the tail shall wag the dog. 8)

https://sports.yahoo.com/change-is-comi ... 12039.html

Return to “General Discussion”