Is College Football at or nearing a point to where each game should be handicaped?????

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Is College Football at or nearing a point to where each game should be handicaped?????

Postby Mountainman » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:40 pm

With conferences hoarding ‘brands’, NIL dollars in the millions being paid to ‘recruit’ players by who knows who or what, along with unrestricted transfers. And huge Pots of Gold to be had for “winning” and gaining access to the CFP, is it time to level the competition on the backside to determine which team wins these games??????

Maybe a group of Top Notch Handicappers could be hired to handicap every game.

For example…… West Virginia opens the coming season with Penn State in Morgantown. I suspect the Nittany Lions will be the favorite to win by let’s say 18 points. That would mean that at kickoff the scoreboard would read West Virginia 18 and Penn State 0. And at the end of the game if Penn States has score 19 or more points than West Virginia has during the course of the game Penn State wins, if not West Virginia wins and the Mountaineer Fans are singing Country Roads.

Thoughts?????

8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is College Football at or nearing a point to where each game should be handicaped?????

Postby Spence » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:46 pm

Haha, That would change the game plans in a big way. The sandbags would be out in force.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Is College Football at or nearing a point to where each game should be handicaped?????

Postby Mountainman » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:26 pm

Spence wrote:Haha, That would change the game plans in a big way. The sandbags would be out in force.

Greg Sankey would claim and bring all the sand on all the beaches from the Northern Border of South Carolina all the way to Florida, including the Keys, up the west side of Florida and along the entire Gulf Coast all the way to the South Horn of Texas…….

:lol: :lol: :lol:

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:08 pm

Now that the ‘Wins’ has been addressed, let’s talk about ‘Strength of Schedule’……….

Many, if not most schools, schedule multiple non-power four schools during the regular seasons. Some schedule more than others, usually 3 non conference opponents, while others as many as four, I believe the SEC still allows scheduling 4. Going forward all Power Four Schools, who choose to be considered for CFP selection, must schedule 12 Power Four opponents.

Thoughts???

8)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:05 am

Strength of schedule is mostly perception. I guess you can wait until the end of the season and see where everyone is, but I’m not sure that tells you much. You beat Ohio State, Georgia, Michigan, Bama, or someone like that, you must be good. If can’t be that they aren’t. :?

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:53 am

Spence wrote:Strength of schedule is mostly perception. I guess you can wait until the end of the season and see where everyone is, but I’m not sure that tells you much. You beat Ohio State, Georgia, Michigan, Bama, or someone like that, you must be good. If can’t be that they aren’t. :?

You’re right. The 12 game, possible +1, regular season along with the expansion of the CFP bracket will address that, although it will probably impact the seeding. There’s enough room for all the ‘good’ teams. The days of ‘automatic qualifiers’, and byes, should be over……

8)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:58 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:Strength of schedule is mostly perception. I guess you can wait until the end of the season and see where everyone is, but I’m not sure that tells you much. You beat Ohio State, Georgia, Michigan, Bama, or someone like that, you must be good. If can’t be that they aren’t. :?

You’re right. The 12 game, possible +1, regular season along with the expansion of the CFP bracket will address that, although it will probably impact the seeding. There’s enough room for all the ‘good’ teams. The days of ‘automatic qualifiers’, and byes, should be over……

8)

I don't have a problem with automatic qualifiers. I just think all conferences that belong to the league should get one. Like the NFL model. Then you can finish out the bracket with a beauty contest if that is what they want. I don't think one or two leagues should get 3/4 of the slots guaranteed. I am just not a fan of the poll model at all. No matter who makes it up, men or computers.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:22 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

8)

I don't have a problem with automatic qualifiers. I just think all conferences that belong to the league should get one. Like the NFL model. Then you can finish out the bracket with a beauty contest if that is what they want. I don't think one or two leagues should get 3/4 of the slots guaranteed. I am just not a fan of the poll model at all. No matter who makes it up, men or computers.

You and I are in the same church house……… we’re just on different sides of the isle. It’s why I’ve settled on wins and losses and strength of schedule, it matters who you beat and who you lose to and it matters when it happens, because teams change for any number of reasons during the coarse of a season.

On the issue of automatic bids, you and I are not only sitting on the same side of the isle, we’re sitting side by side and hollering Hallelujah Brother!!!!!!!!

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Return to “General Discussion”