Louisville Football???????

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
wvjohn
Coordinator
Coordinator

Louisville Football???????

Postby wvjohn » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:19 pm

UL are losing there head coach Petrino, he is heading to the Atlanta Falcons. Just on ESPN. :oops:

What will UL do now, hope they can get a good coach because they need to keep winning for Big East sake but not against The Mountaineers good luck in finding a coach.
Big 12

FEAR NONE RESPECT ALL

IT IS A GREAT DAY TO BE A MOUNTAINEER WHERE EVER YOU MAY BE

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:31 pm

WOW ... there's just so much money out there the contracts these coaches are signing aren't worth the paper they are written on. :roll:

If I recall correctly, Petrino just signed a new multi-year, multi-million dollar deal last summer.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:24 pm

Can imagine how you feel, UofL.

Sorry to hear the news myself.

This comes at a bad time too, with recruiting and signing day just around the corner. The Mountaineers have lost a couple of coaches too in Rick Trickett (Florida State) and Butch Jones (Central Michigan).

Guess it's the time of year for it, but I guess it's time to move on and get new guys in those spots. Rodriguez says he believes he'll have the spots on the Mountaineer staff filled by the end of the month. Any idea who Louisville will go after? I hear Jimbo Fisher down at LSU (born and raised West Virginia boy from Clarksburg) is looking.

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:35 pm

when i heard this, i wondered if maybe this is what ol jimbo was waiting for :lol:

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:42 pm

Go_UofL_Cards wrote::o :shock: Wow....blind sided.

Louisville was on the brink of a national championship run, we had possibly the best QB and RB returning for another year. We had just won our first BCS game in Louisville history and Pitrino son is finishing his senior year (I think).

He had just signed a 10 year conctract with louisville and had said he's devoted to making U of L a national powerhouse..

looks like money could change everything...

I don't know how i want him to do in Atlanta. I guess i wish him the best?!

It's gonna be nearly impossible for either bush or brohm to return now...it's gonna be hard to keep believing we can make it to the national championship (or even BCS).

THe next month should be interesting.

My week is ruined.

"I can't tell you how happy I am with the commitment and the confidence that Tom Jurich has in me and the university has in me., I also wanted to make sure that everyone understood, I know I've said it, that this is where my family wants to be. This is where I want to be. I want everyone to really believe it."

Bobby Petrino's statement after signing a 10 year 25 million dollar contract last summer. :roll:

I can certainly understand your disappointment, UofL. :?

wvjohn
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby wvjohn » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:59 pm

You know for some reason I never did like Prtrino, it seemed to me that he act like he was to good to coach College Football just waiting on the best Pro offer wich Oakland didn't put up enough dead Presidents.
Big 12

FEAR NONE RESPECT ALL

IT IS A GREAT DAY TO BE A MOUNTAINEER WHERE EVER YOU MAY BE

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:47 am

Maybe Billybud can share some legal thoughts on all of this but it seems to me:

1. Coaches contracts mean nothing to the School, the Coach or to the place the Coach is going.

2. These must be more like employment contracts that really have very narrow geographical enforcement....the idea you can not keep a person from earning a living and the non compete clauses are very narrowly applied.

3. We have redefined integrity once again for the sake of...pick a word.....it does not have to be too pleasant.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:19 am

Go_UofL_Cards wrote:According to ESPN,

The leading candidate to replace Petrino figures to be Tulsa coach Steve Kragthorpe, who has taken the Golden Hurricane to three bowl games in four years after taking over one of the worst programs in the country.

I don't know much about this guy...can anyone tell me anything?? I'm so used to praising Pitrino and how he handles the Louisville offense, he's certainly gonna be missed by the cards.

[/quote]
Son of Dave Kragthorpe...NFL QB...turned Tulsa program around and is probably one ot the hot coaches out there....Could be good choice....but climbing the ladder...so.....a good technician

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:51 am

I think Petersen is always a possibility somewhere...the future can not for him to be at Boise State. He is young..family and likes it there, so unless there is some crazy offer...he knows he will have more in the future....I think one and run may not be wise...but that is the system and we would wish him well....

One thing Boise has done is they have a much more solid base than ever...this has been about nine years in the making..Pokey Allen started it.....they may not repeat this year again..certainly not the final game...that will be remembered a long time if for no other reason the final two minutes..great tape...

But...frankly..I think Coach Petersen would not see Louisville as a significant climb...think those programs are very similar ....you know..Boise and Louisville have gone head to head....I remember 0 degree weather at the Humanitarian Bowl a few years back...was colder than a mother's in law kiss.....

so I think Petersen will stay a couple of more years before he leaves..but who knows...

I do think Kragthorpe is a good candidate...he is offensive minded..comes from QB family..he..father...

silverfox
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby silverfox » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:35 am

I agree with Donovan on this one...

Part of this is that even though he was an original part of Dan Hawkin's coaching staff and coached these guys since I believe 2001... I think he is make some serious career choices here that will make him prime for the future...

He knows he is in Hawkins' shadow and that many non-BSU fans probably believe he did as well as he did only becasue he got Hawkins' program handed to him....

So I believe he will stay one, maybe two or more years more just to build his own credibility (even despite the fact that many of us familiar with him knows that the reasons Hawkins was so good was BECAUSE of an excellent offensive coordinator who made his job easy) before he looks on.

Will he stay beyond a couple of years? Well certianly if he can continue in the same vein he did this year then I would name you millions of reasons (dollars) why he would move on...

I know this is a long answer to a simple report but certainly it is obvious that he has been getting phone calls... He is "hot" property right now because he is so gusty -- and that is what a lot of other football programs would like to see leading their teams...
Win or Lose - IT'S HOW YOU HYPE THE OUTCOME! BCS logic: When teams in the AQ conferences lose, it shows how tough those conferences are; when teams in non-AQ conferences lose, it is weakness.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:20 am

It's called Getting a Payday. Petrino just couldn't turn down the money, but, considering this is the NFL, where will Petrino go to in college when he is fired in 3 seasons?

The NFL has now tied the NBA in terms of job security. People are throwing around Tom Coughlin getting fired from the New York Giants. Uh, wait a minute, weren't they just in the playoffs yesterday? :roll: Art Shell got fired after one season. I mean, what did Al Davis expect? Wins? With that team?
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Louisville Football

Postby Swamp Daddy » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:26 pm

Hi all: I am sure many schools have had coaches use them as a stepping stone and left for money and bigger schools. I think Bouncing Bobby Petrino may find it hard to duplicate his success at Louisville in Atlanta.

In college the coach runs things and motivates people. In the pros the players run things and laugh at the coach who is probably paid the least of any of them.

However, my problem with Bobby Petrino is not his leaving. It is that he is quite simply a liar. A congenital liar. He lied from day one about his intentions, he lied more when he got caught doing behind the scenes negoiations with Auburn, LSU, etc. He then lied his head off saying, "this (Louisville) is where I want to be, where my family wants to call home". I doubt he has ever consulted his family about any decisions concerning his career nor their future.

His ego, and his greed, have always guided him. I personally figured he would wait until the end of next year as with everyone coming back he would have a second chance for a 'national championship game' which he would have had this year except for blowing it.

I dont' mind him leaving, I expected it. Do I wish him well -- NO. Do I wish him to fail -- NO. He is out of the picture.

The sad fact is after Petrino fails in the pros, colleges will line up ten deep to get him regardless of how big a liar is and how he will use them. He is a good coach under most circumstances; but, lacks much human warmth and inter social relationships.

What will next season hold? Who knows. Fortunately, football is played Missouri style -- the games are actually played on the field not in the media. I got so tired of the crap hype about how "untouchable Ohio State" was I was almost glad when they got stomped. If we had believed the Media all year we could have not have bothered having a single bowl, we could have mailed the trophy to Ohio State about the end of September; and, the Big East would have been 0 - 5 in bowls.

The BIG EAST: 5 - 0 in bowls; will this ever happen again? To any conference? An interesting year.

And, for all you mountaineers, remember we have to come to you in 2007. And, we expect a veritble mountain of couches, sofas, divans & loveseats burning to welcome us. LOL.

Swamp Daddy
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:32 pm

I don't fault coaches for leaving programs to do what is in their best interest. If he would have went 3-9 three years in a row, Louisville would have canned him. Coached owe nothing to the schools except to do their job until they quit or are fired. Same as everyone else.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:50 pm

Contracts are all different...some have buy out clauses for the coach, some do not...Jimbo's new 3 year contract with FSU, for example, does not.

Some have clauses that limit your football participation if you are receiving contract payments after you are terminated..(a problem with Amato's contract with NC State that FSU has problems with... FSU wanted to hire him)...some have clauses that limit your participation in the same conference (who wants a guy coaching against you next year that has your signals and playbook).

Contract clauses are enforceable.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

mountainman

Re: Louisville Football

Postby mountainman » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:06 am

Swamp Daddy wrote:And, for all you mountaineers, remember we have to come to you in 2007. And, we expect a veritble mountain of couches, sofas, divans & loveseats burning to welcome us. LOL. Swamp Daddy

I've already told the guy at the dump there's $10.00 in it for him for every one he sets to the side. :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”