Most Balanced Conference

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:36 pm

mountainman wrote:Did I imagine it or wasn't Georgia Tech recently sanctioned by the NCAA and has or is going to lose some scholarships? :?

Yep.

colorado_loves_football

Re: Balanced...I like the ACC for toughness

Postby colorado_loves_football » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:10 pm

Derek wrote:
That's true....the VT showing really surprised me.

And the Miami/LSU bowl game was a COMPLETE shocker.

Overall, I still expect the ACC to catch the SEC, Big 10 in a few years. There are many good schools there.

It would not surprise me to see GA, lose to Tech after 5 years of whoopin da tar out of em.

The coach and the whole program has momentum, I will even go as far to say that GT will have a major bowl next year, Gator bowl at minimum.
I'm not saying it to necessarily suggest the ACC is'nt competitive, I think they are, just disappointing with respect to the 'major' bowls. I had forgotten about Virginia beating Minnesota.
That was an essential argument in my favor, so it's definitely a 'plus'.
Utah beating Georgia Tech, was another.
I think, pound-for-pound, the ACC is maybe the most competitive confernece, in all of football. FSU proved, they were 'championship' material. Those Big East additions, while competitive, really haven't proven they are any better. Georgia Tech beating Miami was a stunner.
Virgnia Tech, I think, simply was over-rated. They probably would have won the Big East.
I think in general the ACC is a very competitive confernece, and I predict they will likely send a representative to the national championship very soon. I liked how Virgnia played with a few exceptions. They were likely a much better team than their overall record suggested. They were beaten, soundly by Virginia Tech, but Virgnia Tech either 'thumped' or 'sucked'. Kept Virginia out of the Liberty Bowl, however (Virginia saved my neck, several times).

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Correction

Postby billybud » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:03 pm

To be precise...OF THE BCS CONFERENCES...the ACC has had the best bowl record over the past few years...

The ACC is the winningest conference in the nation in terms of bowl success among conferences with 50 or more bowl appearances. ..

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Correction

Postby ktffan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:15 pm

billybud wrote:To be precise...OF THE BCS CONFERENCES...the ACC has had the best bowl record over the past few years...

The ACC is the winningest conference in the nation in terms of bowl success among conferences with 50 or more bowl appearances. ..

So, the reason these other conference have higher winning percentages is they play soft opponents. The ACC plays soft opponents and gets more bowl wins. Don't try to play it up to mean more than it does.

The ACC is the winningest conference in the nation in terms of bowl success among conferences with 50 or more bowl appearances.

Absolutely false.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:39 pm

billybud wrote:To be precise...OF THE BCS CONFERENCES...the ACC has had the best bowl record over the past few years...

I think he's making a relevant point, here. You tried to apply a similar argument with respect to TCU, so I"m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I thought, overall the ACC was disappointing, in their bowl pairings, last year. That being said, if the facts support his argument, then it's a valid argument, you can't simply igonre it because you don't 'like' it. That's the same kind of logic you applied to TCU.

Kttfan wrote:So, the reason these other conference have higher winning percentages is they play soft opponents. The ACC plays soft opponents and gets more bowl wins. Don't try to play it up to mean more than it does.
This is another example of your taking a 'slanted' side without sufficient evidence to support your position.
What makes a bowl 'soft'? I think that's something you need to make clear, for everyone to understand your point-of-view.

The ACC is the winningest conference in the nation in terms of bowl success among conferences with 50 or more bowl appearances.

Kttfan wrote:Absolutely false.
I'd be interested in learning which confernece is #1.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:45 pm

In my opinion, this year at least, I would indeed pick the ACC as the best conference in America. Think about it, the 2nd worst team in the conference is Wake Forest, and they're solid. If they played in another conference they could very well possibly make a bowl game this year. Duke is awful, but they're an outsider. The middle of the ACC is what gives it its power (North Carolina, Maryland, NC State, etc.).

I also think that Georgia Tech might be a team to keep the BCS Watch on. This could very well be their year.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:51 pm

colorado_loves_football wrote:This is another example of your taking a 'slanted' side without sufficient evidence to support your position.
What makes a bowl 'soft'? I think that's something you need to make clear, for everyone to understand your point-of-view.

I've got plenty of evidence. Unlike you, I base my opinions on facts and can back them up.

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:53 pm

Eric wrote:In my opinion, this year at least, I would indeed pick the ACC as the best conference in America.

Possibly. You never know until they play the games, though, and even then you don't really know.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:55 pm

Of course, but it is always fun to make conjectures. If you checked out the old board, that's all I did during the offseason (most came out wrong :oops: )
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:43 pm

In my opinion, this year at least, I would indeed pick the ACC as the best conference in America. Think about it, the 2nd worst team in the conference is Wake Forest, and they're solid. If they played in another conference they could very well possibly make a bowl game this year. Duke is awful, but they're an outsider. The middle of the ACC is what gives it its power (North Carolina, Maryland, NC State, etc.).

I also think that Georgia Tech might be a team to keep the BCS Watch on. This could very well be their year.

istorically the SEC is the best conference, ktffan is right that you don't know until they start playing the games. I think it is reasonable to conclude, though, that the ACC is a lot stronger conference then they once were. Having 3 teams considered to be national powers, they still may not be the SEC, but they should be among the best.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:07 pm

Hey, Eric.

What do you mean when you call Duke an outsider in the ACC? :?

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:09 pm

Spence wrote:
istorically the SEC is the best conference

Nice c o c k n e y accent.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:15 pm

Thankya govner! :wink: