Most Balanced Conference

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Most Balanced Conference

Postby Eric » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:14 pm

From top to bottom? I would pick the MAC. Now, of course Kent State, Buffalo, and Ball State are horrendous, but there are so many teams that have a serious shot to win the MAC this year.

Akron, Toledo, Northern Illinois, Ohio, Central Michigan, and Western Michigan all have some good chances to win the MAC. No Bowling Green? I don't see them as a player this year because of the departure of Omar Jacobs; Anthony Turner couldn't score any points and when the BGSU lost their grip on the season, it was because Jacobs was out.

Anyway, I like Solich, Brookhart and Luke Getsy, Novak and Wolfe with the pounding ground game, Brian Kelley getting things done in his 3rd year, and Cubit's offensive strategy. They get my vote.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:44 pm

I was thinking about CUSA too. At this point CUSA looks to be a pretty balanced league this coming season. I don't, at this time anyway, see a dominate team.

Truth is, I don't know about the MAC, so for me to contest that CUSA would be more balanced would be pure speculation. The only reason I try to keep up with CUSA is because I'm a Marshall fan and the Thundering Herd's affiliation with the conference.

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:39 pm

Sun Belt because they all suck.

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:48 pm

You guys bring up some pretty good points. Ktffan says the Sun Belt, and it is true that any team in the conference is good (let's just say "less bad") enough to win the conference.

C-USA, I would tie them with the MAC. I think 2 teams will come from nowhere and play in the C-USA Championship game and they'll be the SMU Mustangs and the ECU Pirates. I think Southern Miss, Marshall, ECU, SMU, UCF, Tulsa, UAB, and possibly Memphis could have enough in the tank to win C-USA. I'd have to put them in a deadlock with the MAC.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:43 pm

Marshall's success will be tied to the performance of Bernie Morris, their quarterback. He has to keep the defenses honest and not let them gang up on the run. He's got the tools, but reading defenses was a real issue last year. He can run it or throw it and if he gets loose somebody better take the appropriate angle. He's not that quick, but this guy has got speed to burn. :D

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:53 pm

Oh, don't forget about UTEP!

After heavy consideration, I change my vote to C-USA. I'd still give the MAC 2nd place!

What about James Skinner? I thought he played magnificent againt USM!

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:05 pm

I haven't heard much about Skinner this spring. I'll check that out and get back with you. :?

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:25 pm

I scanned a few articles in the Huntington Newspaper and saw were, on April 1st, Coach Snyder said Morris and Skinner were 'dead even'.

Marshall is holding a scrimmage in Charleston, the state capitol, tomorrow. I read an article today in the Charleston newspapers where the reporter at least was giving the nod to Morris.

Both those guys are young and both are talented ...... guess we'll see who wins out come this fall.

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:44 pm

I agree with you guys. I think you are talking about the three most balanced conferences this upcoming season when you mention the MAC, C-USA and Sun Belt.

I think I'd actually go with C-USA at this point followed by the Sun Belt then the MAC. I think it is more likely that teams at the bottom of C-USA will knock off teams at the top of the standings than in the other two leagues.

I actually could see the Pac-10 becoming a lot more balanced this year than it has been in a while but not to the same level as the other leagues mentioned.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:39 pm

Anybody in the Sun Belt can win their conference this year, but because they suck so badly, I'm giving the nod to C-USA. :lol:

Like I said, SMU, ECU, Southern Miss, Marshall, UTEP, UCF, Tulsa, UAB, Memphis, and Houston all have about equal chances to win that conference.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:04 pm

Just so I understand, are we talking about 'balanced' in terms of their abliity, or simply in terms of nobody dominating?
I think MAC is pretty balanced, in general. C-USA is fairly well balanced, I suppose, but I think there are still teams that 'stand-out' competitively. S. Mississippi is one of them. They were likely a better team than UCF but unfortunately weren't competitive toward the end.
MWC is pretty 'balanced' I think in terms of the representation. Only one 'bad' team, UNLV.
As far as the 'major' conferneces go, I think the Big East is fairly well balanced, now. Rutgers is a lot better, Connecticut isn't bad, and Cincinnati is likely to be better this year, also. No one team 'sticks-out'.
W. Virginia had a good year, but could have easily lost to Louisville.
Big Ten, in general is pretty balanced, but Indiana always seems to suck.
That might change, however, since they hired Miami (OH)'s coach.
Northwestern isn't that bad. Big Ten ranked pretty high overall, in terms of the 'balance' of power. Pac Ten almost always has some 'weak' teams, but there was more balance than in previous years.
Actually I think the quality of play within conferneces was better than expected, across the board. Sun Belt maybe 'sucks' but Arkansas St, wasn't that bad a team, neither for that matter was Louisiana Lafayette.
I think the Sun Belt could surprise some people, next year. They would appear to be on the 'rise' competitively, since N. Texas wasn't the #1.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:52 pm

Arkansas State would probably finish only ahead of Rice in C-USA. They weren't very good; trust me, I follow them. They did have a good running game and if Warren would've stayed healthy in the New Orleans Bowl, they could have given Southern Miss a better run for their money.

I think the Mountain West would be #5 on my "Most Balanced List" behind C-USA, MAC, Sun Belt, then the Big East, and then the MWC. I think #3-#5 are up for debate though. The gap between the best teams in the ACC, SEC, Pac-10, and the Big 12 are too big. I do think that for this season, the Big 12 will be much more competitive, especially the Big 12 North.

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:27 pm

colorado_loves_football wrote: Sun Belt maybe 'sucks' but Arkansas St, wasn't that bad a team, neither for that matter was Louisiana Lafayette.
I think the Sun Belt could surprise some people, next year. They would appear to be on the 'rise' competitively, since N. Texas wasn't the #1.

What makes you think Arkansas State is good? Was it their 44-17 shellacking by Missouri, or the 38-10 blowout at the hands of 4-7 Army? Or maybe it was their 4 losses to teams with losing records.

What makes you think La.-Layfayette is good? Was it their blowout loss to 4-7 Eastern Michigan, their loss to 2-9 Florida Atlantic, or their 0-2 record against teams with a winning record?

The Sun Belt won a single non-conference games against I-A teams last year and then every team lost to at least two other Sun Belt Teams.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:42 pm

Right, the only notch in Arkansas State's belt was the fact that they could've competed with Southern Miss if Antonio Warren stayed healthy during the New Orleans Bowl. I did realize that they were spanked by Missouri and Army, and like I said, Arkansas State isn't a very good football team. I did watch them murder Florida International.......but they're Florida International.

Same goes for UL Lafayette. They're terrible.

The only 1-A win OOC was that absolute stunner of Middle Tennessee State vs. Vanderbilt. That was so crazy, I don't even know if I believe it! :shock: :shock: :shock:

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:02 pm

Whoa ..... looks like Coach Synder and the Thundering Herd may have a new look this year. The Herd lined up in an I-formation during Saturday's officiated scrimmage. That is definitely a change from their one-back set. From what I saw last season, I think it's a good move. The Herd has an outstanding tailback in Bradshaw and play action out of the 'I' will help the quarterback with their reads. :D

By the way, that 'sunshine' kicker the Herd picked up nailed field goals of 47, 43, 37 and 27 yards if memory serves me correctly, which is questionable at times. At any rate he can kick and the Marshall faithful are tickled about that. :lol:

I know it's only spring ball, but the Thundring Herd looked pretty good. 8)

Return to “General Discussion”