How is your team looking this spring?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:51 pm

We'll know more about the Mountaineers after Saturday's Blue & Gold Game.

So far, it looks to me like there is more speed, especially on defense and especially in the linebackers and once the DB's get some game time they will be fine.

Hey Warchant ...... what do you know about a kid named Barry Wright?

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:55 pm

I think the Seminoles will play very well this season, and I think that they can get to the BCS via at-large or winning the ACC. My pick this year is Boston College. I think the Eagles will put things together where they aren't really the best team in the conference, but they find a way to get to the championship game and pull off the upset.

I don't really pay much attention to spring practice. I don't know, I just don't get anything out of it.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:41 pm

Yep, and he's looking pretty darned impressive. Good speed and great quickness. The 3-3-5 the Mountianeers has him behind the curve a bit, but he's coming on strong. He's on the depth chart at the sam-linebacker spot. :?

His story is that both West Virginia and Florida State recruited him out of Coffeyville Junior College a couple of years ago. He chose Florida State, but things didn't work out and he gave Coach Casteel, defensive coordinator at WV, a call to see if there was any interest. I understand that Casteel and Rodriguez then gave him a call and told him he should have chosen the Mountaineers to begin with ....... and then told him to come on. :lol:

I read an interview he gave where he said he got into a little academic trouble at Florida State. Just wanted to check him out. Thanks. :D

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:46 pm

I think it is hard to tell. When a team's offense is going against it's defense and drives down the field for a score, does that mean your offense is good or your defense is bad?

It is a lot easier to determine things like team speed and how a team looks in the kicking game.

As far as how my team looks, the Akron spring game is this upcoming Saturday. The things I'll be looking for the most are team speed and accuracy in the passing game, especially deep down the field. However, with a QB who threw for 3,459 yards last year returning it is not like there is a big competition for the starting job which would certainly add something to the spring game.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:23 pm

Im sorry to say, i've been so busy, that I have not kept up....

I know that there is competition between the 3 QB's with Joe Tereshinski being the top candidate as a Senior.

I need to get caught up... :oops:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:10 pm

i second roll tides post....i think we have a good team this year and they'll be alot of fun to watch, we have a good many with stand out potential and i really like our QB.
The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire. ~Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:24 pm

YEAH BABY!!!

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/sec/ ... review.htm

2007 is gonna be good!!! I will agree with their 10 wins this season, but no more than that.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hows your team

Postby Spence » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:06 pm

Husker1 wrote:It is hard to get a real good idea when most of the game is 1st team vs 2nd team. Callahan wants to focus on the running game alot more this year. The defense is supposed to be one of the best units in the nation. The position that needs improvment in my opinion is the Back up QB. Nobody has proven they can lead the team if Taylor went down. (knock on wood)

Ohio State has a draft for it's spring game. It isn't first team vs. second team. Tressel ball ,though, it seems has really gotten through to the players. The first player chosen in the draft for the spring game was AJ Trappasso---the punter. :roll:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:32 pm

Here is an article on the new Buckeye defense. I'm not sure I am buying what they are selling, but from a news standpoint this article is well researched. It pretty much sums up what we have been hearing this spring.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/stewart_mandel/04/19/ohio.state/index.html

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:45 pm

Ohio State had 63,649, Scarlet beat the Grey 12-0. Troy Smith played one series and the rest of the day was dedicated to the up and comers.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:45 pm

I played poker the other night with one of FSU's offensive linemen...he says that the defense this year will be brutal...the offensive line is in better shape..not a great O line, but one that is deeper and less banged up than last year's with more experience with the new zone blocking scheme instituted last year. The WR's haven't yet shown their form outside of 6'6" Carr.

The running game should be better...coaches want the run to be a threat to open up the passing game...FSU will still pass more than run, but some more balance will be attempted.

An aside...the ACC conference champ ring is a gaudy thing...tried it on..I was surprised that it was too small, considering it came from a 300 pound lineman...I wear a size 15..I am guessing he wore a 12.

Return to “General Discussion”