I know how to solve all the BCS mid-major inclusion problems

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Fri May 12, 2006 11:47 pm

billybud wrote:That...and that the winner of the SEC, ACC, and Big Ten has had to play and beat better teams than an Akron or TCU.....Last year a 10 win TCU WAS NOT more deserving of a BCS bowl bid on merit then 10 win VT. Or an 8 win FSU for that matter.

It's not just winning games against a very mediocre schedule, in terms of strength...It's showing that you are one of the best in IA ball....

If you don't beat good teams, how do you show you are the best?

I agree but I do think that on occasion you have to give a program the benefit of the doubt as well. A lot of times teams try to schedule tougher opponents but the higher profile school turns them down. This isn't the fault of the team that tried to get a game scheduled.

Also, with non-conference schedules often being done so many years in advance it is possible that you believe you are scheduling a very good team when the contract is drawn up just to have your opponent end up being average or lower. Just ask teams that added schools like Illinois, Washington, and Syracuse to their schedules five or six years ago.

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Sat May 13, 2006 11:48 am

Jason G wrote:
Also, with non-conference schedules often being done so many years in advance it is possible that you believe you are scheduling a very good team when the contract is drawn up just to have your opponent end up being average or lower. Just ask teams that added schools like Illinois, Washington, and Syracuse to their schedules five or six years ago.

Teams should not be expected to play good major teams, but they should put major teams on the schedule. It they want to play with the big boys, they should at least play who the big boys are playing so they can be more accurately compared. If you schedule Army and SMU expect to be watching the BCS bowls on TV.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sat May 13, 2006 1:35 pm

ktffan wrote:
Jason G wrote:

Teams should not be expected to play good major teams, but they should put major teams on the schedule. It they want to play with the big boys, they should at least play who the big boys are playing so they can be more accurately compared. If you schedule Army and SMU expect to be watching the BCS bowls on TV.
I think you are maybe being a little too hard on TCU for those games, which incidentally were set-up years prior to their having been played. Army I think is an exception to that, but either way, those are the games they scheduled, and likely would have, anyway given both teams are former SWC and C-USA rivals. The only difference is that Army is now an independent.

Notre Dame is playing Army, this year. I don't think having Army on your schedule necessarily means 'weak'. Army went independent maybe partly to be more competitive. I think you need to re-evaluate how you look at it, myself.

As far as SMU is concerned, I think you are maybe being too critical of them, also. They weren't exactly 'terrible'. Sure, they were an 'average' C-USA team, no two ways about it. But they were also pretty good at times. They nearly beat Baylor, to open the year. They beat TCU. Gave Tulsa a game. Beat some teams down the stretch who played in bowls. All-in-all I think they were 'decent'. So, losing to them, while disappointing, maybe wasn't so bad, after all.

Spence asked how TCU would do in a 'hypothetical' pairing against FSU.
That's sort of a tricky question, but there might be a fair way to answer it.
FSU was 'up-and-down', their up's were when they played against 'good' competition. Their 'downs' appeared to coincide when they were playing a team they were supposed to beat.

Call me crazy, I think FSU likely wouldn't play their best football against TCU. And, FSU losing to teams like Virginia, doesn't really bode well for them. Virginia, after all, was a Liberty Bowl reject. N. Carolina did play Utah, however, and won. Nevertheless, I still think TCU, gives FSU a game. I'm not saying they win, but I think they hold their own.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat May 13, 2006 2:28 pm

Call me crazy, I think FSU likely wouldn't play their best football against TCU. And, FSU losing to teams like Virginia, doesn't really bode well for them. Virginia, after all, was a Liberty Bowl reject. N. Carolina did play Utah, however, and won. Nevertheless, I still think TCU, gives FSU a game. I'm not saying they win, but I think they hold their own.

I agree with that except for one thing. The BCS bowls are played in front of a national audience with all the pro scouts paying attention to them. Florida State players know that and you would rarely have any team not ready to play in these games. The BCS games, more then even regular season games or other bowl games, are almost always won by the team with the most talent and best coaches.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sat May 13, 2006 2:47 pm

billybud wrote:That...and that the winner of the SEC, ACC, and Big Ten has had to play and beat better teams than an Akron or TCU.....Last year a 10 win TCU WAS NOT more deserving of a BCS bowl bid on merit then 10 win VT. Or an 8 win FSU for that matter.

It's not just winning games against a very mediocre schedule, in terms of strength...It's showing that you are one of the best in IA ball....

If you don't beat good teams, how do you show you are the best?

I can say, arguably, that FSU would go undefeated in a lot of seasons if playing TCU's schedule.....
I disagree and there's sufficient evidence to support my side of the argument.
Did FSU go undefeated last year? No. That's argument #1 in my favor.
Secondly, who did FSU beat, other than Virginia Tech, Miami, and Boston College? All good teams, but not necessarly BCS material, either.
They didn't beat Penn St, but they did play them close.
I think you are being way too hard on TCU, because you simply don't believe they belong in the same 'class' as FSU.
Which is ok. TCU was 'new' to the MWC, last year. Prior to that they were in C-USA. The Big East has 3 C-USA teams, as of 2005.
Two of them, Louisville, and S. Florida played ACC teams in bowl games.
Both lost, but both were competitive.
In fact, I'm pretty sure FSU lost to one of them (N.C. State?)
But, maybe that's not what matters.
I think TCU likely plays FSU tough. I'm not saying they win, but I disagree that somehow, TCU playing in the MWC makes them 'less competitive'. Utah did beat Georgia Tech, 38-10. That says something.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat May 13, 2006 6:33 pm

Look, man, the ACC is just better. Why don't you give us your "sufficient evidence" and just say that the MWC is the best conference in football and that TCU could beat Texas already.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sat May 13, 2006 6:52 pm

Eric wrote:Look, man, the ACC is just better. Why don't you give us your "sufficient evidence" and just say that the MWC is the best conference in football and that TCU could beat Texas already.
Why should I jump up-and-down for FSU? They were a pretty-good team, overall, but they couldn't get it done, when it mattered.
I'm not going to hand something over, when there is insufficient reason to do it.
Boston College was a very good ACC team, in my estimation. Interesting thing, they lost to N. Carolina, along with Utah. So did Virginia (another pretty good ACC team). Virginia beat FSU, as well as Minnesota in their bowl pairing, but I don't think that necessarily means Virginia is any better than Utah. And I seriously doubt they are any better than TCU, either.
Virginia was supposed to represent the ACC in the Liberty Bowl but were passed over, partly because they were beaten, soundly, by Virginia Tech. But there was a measure of redemption, as they did manage to beat Minnesota, when it counted.
Minnesota dominated Tulsa, early on, so there is maybe sufficience evidence to give to the ACC as far as Tulsa is concerned.
Nevertheless, I still believe TCU likely could have played FSU clos.
I'm not necessarily saying TCU wins, but unless you have more information than I do, I think there's at least reason to wonder.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat May 13, 2006 7:17 pm

FSU did lose some games last year...but FSU beat the best three teams in the ACC...all end ranked Top 25...TCU hasn't matched that kind of power...and really played a mediocre schedule.

TCU playing FSU's schedule every year would likely be below .500 in conference.

Last year, I'd think that VT, BC, Miami, Clemson all would have cleaned TCU's clock...Virginia beat Iowa and, when Hagan was on, was tough..

Wake and TCU would have been a good match...

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat May 13, 2006 7:46 pm

Oh, how silly of me. I almost forgot that Utah is as good as Miami, Colorado State as good as Virginia Tech, New Mexico as good as Clemson, and BYU is as good as Boston College.

That there is sufficient reason for me to believe that the MWC is better than the ACC. Yeah friggin right.....

This is seriously ridiculous. Yes, Utah beat Georgia Tech, but once again, that doesn't mean that Utah is better than Georgia Tech. Alright? Virginia and TCU would be a good game. They could be right there with them, "competitively speaking". If not, then that throws your argument down the crapper because all of the non-BCS schools are as good as the top-tier ones, and if you say that Virginia couldn't beat TCU, then that's hypocrisy at its finest. How do you know Virginia isn't as good as TCU? They have to play eachother. That's something that has to be scheduled to determine that one!

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat May 13, 2006 8:03 pm

So what if Utah beat GT? Utah also lost last year to 5-6 North Carolina...who blew them out by two TD's .

Who did Utah beat last year that was ranked?...nada

How many teams did Utah beat that had winning records? ONE TEAM..

Beating GT may be a small triumph...but it is very small...FSU has now done that in 12 straight games. Come in and beat VT, BC, and Miami like FSU did, and I might think that TCU might be one of the top BCS teams.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sat May 13, 2006 9:37 pm

Well, I guess this can go on forever (some folks around here are still fighting the War Between the States), but there is one thing that is for certain. CLF and the Horned Frogs of Texas Christian University had better start looking to the future instead of the past if they expect to have a chance at winning the Mountain West Conference Title again this coming season.

The Utes and the Cougars are said to be going to field better teams than they had last season.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat May 13, 2006 11:22 pm

Why should I jump up-and-down for FSU? They were a pretty-good team, overall, but they couldn't get it done, when it mattered.

Penn St. - Florida State was the best of all the BCS games last year. That game was brutal. That was probably the best defensive game I have ever seen.

Florida State is alway loaded with talent. The big thing with them is that they seem to lack focus sometimes. With Miami and Va. Tech in the mix in the ACC, they can't afford to do things like that anymore. It will make them better in the long run though.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sun May 14, 2006 5:10 pm

billybud wrote:FSU did lose some games last year...but FSU beat the best three teams in the ACC...all end ranked Top 25...TCU hasn't matched that kind of power...and really played a mediocre schedule.

TCU playing FSU's schedule every year would likely be below .500 in conference.

Last year, I'd think that VT, BC, Miami, Clemson all would have cleaned TCU's clock...Virginia beat Iowa and, when Hagan was on, was tough..

Wake and TCU would have been a good match...
I'm pretty sure I already gave reason to support the position that the ACC likely was 'superior' to the MWC, but that's not really my argument, anyway.
I was arguing TCU's claim on the BCS, and yes it does matter how a MWC team does paired against an ACC opponent, if we are to make a 'fair' decision, one way or the other.

Utah did in fact lose to UNC, in Chapel Hill, N.C. The problem is that UNC only lost to two other teams (Wisconsin 5-14, and Maryland 30-33).
In my mind, that likely means UNC was pretty tough to beat, at home. Maryland was 5-6 on the year, but that included losses to W. Virginia, Virginia Tech, Florida St, Clemson, B.C. and N.C. State, all pretty good teams. So, losing to Maryland maybe wasn't so bad, for UNC.

That being said I suppose it's maybe 'fair' to put Utah somewhere near or around where UNC and Maryland were, competitively in the ACC.
Utah beating Georgia Tech, maybe isn't the 'fairest' measure of either team, since it's possible Utah ran up the score. Either way, it would appear that Utah likely was a better team than Georgia Tech was. You can't take a win away just because you don't 'like' it.

Now, UNC did beat some other 'respectible' if not outstanding ACC teams, in Virginia, B.C. and N.C. State. All three of those teams won their bowl pairings, end of season. So, in my opinion, Utah losing to UNC in and of itself doesn't mean Utah wasn't a good team, out of conference. I think you have to weigh both games separately before drawing any conclusions, either way.

Was Utah as good as say, Virginia Tech, FSU, Clemson, or N.C. State? Probably not. That's being 'fair'.

But as far as Maryland, Miami, Virginia, and Wake Forest go, I think the evidence tilts in Utah's favor myself. That puts Utah somewhere in the 4-4 range, assuming those were the games scheduled. And that pretty much makes sense given where Utah finished overall (7-5), same record as Georgia Tech, who was 5-3 ACC.

Another interesting bit of information maybe lost in all of this is how they would have fared had they been in the Big East. UNC losing big to Louisville would suggest Utah likely wouldn't beat them. And Maryland beating UNC, but losing to W. Virginia would suggest W. Virginia likely would beat Utah, in a competitive arrangement. Georgia Tech scheduled Connecticut and won. I believe that puts Utah somewhere in the vicinity of those teams, relative to the Big East. The interesting thing about this, if applied correctly is we can ascertain generally where a team likely stands relative to each other.

I think Utah if in the Big East, near the level Connecticut, or better, but likely not nearly as good as Louisville or W. Virginia.
Similarly, put them in the ACC, they probably fall somewhere between Clemson, and Maryland, competitively.
That's my opinion, about where they fall relative to those conferneces.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun May 14, 2006 5:38 pm

No, CLF, that doesn't mean that Utah is better than Georgia Tech. Georgia Tech wouldn't go 6-5 in the MWC. And you can come out and give us "sufficient evidence" that they would, and it would be so ridiculously preposterous that it doesn't even deserve consideration.

Now, if you apply your head-to-head-the-winner-is-always-the-better-team theory, what happens when you get a 3-way problem?

Last year, Ole Miss lost to Vanderbilt, Vanderbilt lost to Kentucky, and Ole Miss beat Kentucky. Who is the better team? According to your theory, it can't work that way, it's impossible.

Once again, nobody is taking the win away from Utah! It was a great win! The 2005 Emerald Bowl seemed to have presented the biggest mismatch of the bowl season, and it turned out it was, but the other way around. I did underestimate Utah, but they were not better than Georgia Tech. Are you that hard-headed of a homer that you can't even admit that?

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun May 14, 2006 8:18 pm

CLF goes round in circles....

Utah beats GT...they are better than GT...but wait, North Carolina beats Utah...no, that doesn't mean that they were better.

TCU last year was about a GT or NC level...a mid tier BCS level...and, as such, not BCS bowl worthy.

Return to “General Discussion”