What Did You Learn?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

What Did You Learn?

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:30 am

1. The MAC and the Big 10 are back to usual; sucking. Toledo, Central Michigan, Ball State, Western Michigan, all looked dreadful. Minnesota lost to a mediocre Bowling Green team, Illinois shouldn't have even been in that Missouri game, Michigan (self-explanatory), Purdue should be up to their usual tricks (scoring against poor defenses, getting shut down against ones that are worth a lick), and the Michigan State thing was nothing special as the Blazers should be 1-11 this season.

2. Rice, SJSU, and Wake were flukes. San Jose State (get this through your head, Fiutak) is not talented enough right now, they were very lucky. Sure, they have a few playmakers, but the rest of the team isn't very good. Rice just lost to Nicholls State (would've been a good upset pick, darn :( ), they were an extremely lucky football team last season and their defense looks like it belongs in D3. Wake Forest isn't a true-blue fluke, but they won't be in the ACC title hunt again this season.

3. The Pac-10 is pretty darn good. Oregon, Oregon State, UCLA, USC, Arizona State, Washington, and Cal all looked extremely good. Washington State did okay for themsevles (this would be comparable to a game like Indiana vs. Virginia Tech in terms of where they belong on the conference pecking order), and Arizona needs to work out that offense SOON :shock: . I say Move Over SEC.

4. The MWC is head-and-shoulders above the rest of the non-BCS conferences. Forget the WAC, they have nobody beyond Boise State and Hawaii. Wyoming, TCU, BYU and Utah (if they weren't snakebitten by injuries) should all be pretty solid. New Mexico will have to get their act together as will Colorado State though. However, the bottom-end of he WAC is so weak with Utah State, Louisiana Tech, and Idaho.

5. Hawaii will be in the BCS. I know, I said Nevada would beat them, but it looks like this isn't the Wolf Pack's season.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What Did You Learn?

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:48 am

The PAC-10 teams, especially the top tier teams looked very good to me. I believe that we will have a PAC-10-SEC showdown in the championship game. Both conferences are going to be bloody (in conference) this year and the two winners will be battle tested.

I was disappointed in Illinois defense yesterday. They played well enough on offense to win. I really thought they would beat Mizzu. I think Mizzu is in for a long season.

K-State appears to be back. You can't go to Auburn and play that well without being pretty good.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:26 am

Rice, SJSU, and Wake were flukes.

While I don't disagree....did you see the BC vs Wake game?

Wake played BC pretty decently and could have won that game. Matt Ryan is a very good QB but Riley Skinner threw for a 75% completion rate and 366 yards. The game was close and within 3 points with one and a half minutes remaining.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:57 pm

billybud wrote:
Rice, SJSU, and Wake were flukes.

While I don't disagree....did you see the BC vs Wake game?

Wake played BC pretty decently and could have won that game. Matt Ryan is a very good QB but Riley Skinner threw for a 75% completion rate and 366 yards. The game was close and within 3 points with one and a half minutes remaining.

I saw some of it, but I said they won't compete for an ACC championship. They'll compete for a bowl spot, but FSU, Miami, Boston College, and VT are the contenders for the ACC title. Maybe Georgia Tech can get in that picture as well.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:36 pm

And about USF, they stink like that against inferior teams. They needed to stop UCF on a last minute drive last season, they beat FIU by a point, and McNeese State took a lead into the 3rd quarter last year I believe. They also lost to Kansas.

I don't see them beating Auburn, but they should give them a game.

Speaking of Auburn, Spence, I don't think K-State is going to do anything. I've been saying it all year, the Tigers are a bit down this season. They should finish with an 8-4/7-5 record. The offensive line looked pretty bad.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:04 pm

Eric wrote:
Speaking of Auburn, Spence, I don't think K-State is going to do anything. I've been saying it all year, the Tigers are a bit down this season. They should finish with an 8-4/7-5 record. The offensive line looked pretty bad.

Maybe. I didn't watch that game I was watching Illinois-Mizzu and Cal- Tennessee, along with finishing the Ohio State game. I taped the Buckeye game, I was watching it up until I saw Appy State get to 14 points and then I switched to that game. I wanted to see what was up with Michigan. Michigan only played defense for one quarter, aside from Shawn Crable. The DB's were playing very loose coverage, like they were sitting back for interceptions for the highlight reel. When they finally realize they might lose the game, the defense shut them down completely. Then Michigan scored the go ahead with Hart's 54 yard TD run and they backed off again.

Man Eric, they didn't look like championship material at all. They weren't ready to play anyone yesterday. It was like everyone was waiting for someone else to get busy and win it for them. Carr has got to go back and assert himself into the running of this team. He has to get control back on that team. They are buying into the "We are Michgan" crap too much. Even after the game, Mike Hart was talking about how the best team didn't win. The best team did win. Appalachian State out played Michigan yesterday. It wasn't trick plays or that they pushed Michigan around. They just played to win. They executed their offense. Michigan pushed them off the line of scrimmage both ways. Mike Hart ran over them when he was in the game. Manningham had some trouble getting separation, until the game was on the line, which tells me he was phoning it in. No hustle or sense that they we playing anyone at all. If they practice like they played on Saturday, they need to sit some guys down and find a few that want to play football. Their apathy was that apparent. I can't believe the position coaches weren't in the players faces the whole time.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:20 pm

Maybe too, I didn't see all of the game, all I saw was Auburn's defense dominating K-State's offense at times with Auburn's offense playing horribly. I was flipping around a ton of games, Cal/Tennessee, Army/Akron, Gardner-Webb/Ohio, Elon/USF, Purdue/Toledo, and UL Lafayette/South Carolina so maybe I missed some stuff.

Michigan's reputation is forever damaged by this. Any recruit that hasn't made up their mind between USC, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Michigan probably has one checked off his list.

Lloyd Carr has got to go. This is the beginning of the end of him. And I'm cool with that, their play over the last few seasons is not acceptable. Their last freakin bowl win was against those speedy Gators in the 2003 Outback Bowl. It's ridiculous. This shouldn't be happening, no, not at Michigan.

I was talking to somebody yesterday about that game and we're already thinking of future replacements :lol: . I'd like to see Brian Kelly take charge. Man, can you imagine? His offensive genius combined with J.R. Hemmingway, Sam McGuffie, and Ryan Mallett? It would be a delight to see.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:26 pm

From what I have been hearing, this was going to be Lloyd's last year before this happened. I keep hearing about health concerns and such.

I have also heard rumors of Les Miles taking Lloyd's place. Have you heard anything about that?

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:20 pm

I've heard about it, but I assume its only speculation.

These would be my top candidates:

Rich Rodriguez (although I think he's staying put at West Virginia)
Brian Kelly (his offensive mind is brilliant)
Bill Cubit (I actually think he could work at Michigan)
Jeff Tedford (I don't know if he wants to leave Cal or not)

I was on the Ron English bandwagon, but I'm not so sure anymore after their defensive performance over the last 3 weeks :shock:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:33 pm

Eric wrote:
I was on the Ron English bandwagon, but I'm not so sure anymore after their defensive performance over the last 3 weeks :shock:

I honestly don't think anyone from Michigan looked at film on Appy State. I think they believed that they could beat Appy State without any problem and they have been practicing for Oregon since camp started.

Michigan rarely goes out of their family to get a coach. I believe the last time they did it was Bo. I doubt if RR would go, he would have to completely change personel to adjust to his system.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:46 am

Oh, that's right Spence, I almost forgot. We have to get a "Michigan Man". How about we get someone who knows what the heck they're doing? :roll:

I don't know, BlackPowderEER, I was just throwing hypothetical names around. I would like to Rich Rodriguez come here, but the odds of that are probably less than 1%.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:10 am

One thing you have to hate for Michigan even getting a Great Coach that has plenty of track record, the plus and minus. Fans are really disappointed in the program right now...but look at the rankings. 10, 20, 9, 7, 12, 21, 9 in this decade. SO we are talking about a team who averages 12th in the country. There is a lot of down side there.

What Alabama and USC got is one method. Saban's last college venture was highly successful and he became available because of a lack luster attempt in the NFL. (Same with Carroll.) Or the other feasible method is stealing a Boise St. type coach. You have to get one coming down or going up, especially if they are going to implement an entirely new system. (Because they will usually get 3 to 4 years to show something.) Or you can find a young guy on staff now or a coach under some guy you can't get but love what he's doing. If I'm a Blue fan and RR comes to town, I'm thinking top 20 this year and next year we beat OU and probably go to the Rose Bowl, then we win it all the next year or finish maybe 4th in th country, AND THEN win it all!

The job you don't want right now is Michigan AD. The AD will be leaving town with the next coach if he fails to live up to expectations.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:37 am

For reasons that are inherent, I had to work tonight and so I am listening to ESPN something on the radio...preferable to reruns of Rush Limbaugh or the replay of the Mariners meltdown...they are so terrible right now..I digress...nine in a row...it was in their grasp...I am still digressing...when is McLaren going to put his signature on this team....anyway

so I am listening to ESPN all night sports banter and the main topic...a new Coach at Michigan...it goes on ad nauseum....I am thinking...what has this athletic debacle come to. They lose one game...to a team by the way that has this incredible record in their division....you think being 1A means you are better than everyone else...Utah State? They want to crucify this guy...they talk about running down a great program...a great program can not be run down in one game...anyway....I ask myself....When will any athletics from little league to Professional return back to being about the athletes and what programs develop in the players and the wholesome entertainment and recreation they provide and quit focusing on whatever it is that has basically made us all....here I am venting on some website about this...go zonkers.......
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:42 am

Eric wrote:Oh, that's right Spence, I almost forgot. We have to get a "Michigan Man". How about we get someone who knows what the heck they're doing? :roll:

I don't know, BlackPowderEER, I was just throwing hypothetical names around. I would like to Rich Rodriguez come here, but the odds of that are probably less than 1%.

The one time in Ohio State history that we didn't hire a coach that understood Ohio State tradition was a disaster. His name was John Cooper. There is something to getting a coach that is familar with the traditions of the school. Even though Bo came out of the Woody Hayes camp, he understood Michigan football. He had to working under coach Hayes.

Cooper wasn't a bad coach, just not an Ohio State guy. He didn't get the rivalry, he didn't get it at all. Ohio State could win all their games every year, but if you lose to Michigan consistantly, you aren't going to stay.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:13 pm

Is Cooper still doing analyst work? He was always on Fox when they had the ESPN Plus games. I don't think they're going to do that now because of the Big 10 Network, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, if this is the kind of football that Michigan Men bring to the table, they don't belong. They need somebody innovative. This "we're going to wear you out" crap offensive system isn't cutting it.

And, Donovan, you are right. As the #5 ranked team in the nation should mean you're better than any FCS football team. I know Appalachian State is good, but they're not that good. It shouldn't be a loss on their schedule. I'm still trying to figure out why that game was scheduled in the first place. If you're going after an FCS team, go after Western Illinois or Southern Utah. Don't go after Appy State.

Return to “General Discussion”