Humpty Dumpty had agreat fall!

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Humpty Dumpty had agreat fall!

Postby WoVeU » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:00 am

How far does Michigan fall?

FSU? Tenn? How about Texas?

This is always a big discussion with me and my dad. The big program bias in polls he thinks keeps Michigan in or near the top ten, somebody on TV said they'd fall out of the top 25. (That I'd have to see.)

In the AP...

I think Michigan comes in at 23.
FSU falls just out of the top 25.
Tenn at about 24.

Texas, who looked like refries plumber's crack falls to 6 or 7.

Georgia Tech goes in for sure probably 20 or 21

Clemson go into the top 25 and A&M gets displaced if Michigan or Tennessee do not fall out.

I can't wait till the polls post...I think this is the only bit-O-magic that keeps the bowls alive and no real play-off in sight!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Humpty Dumpty had agreat fall!

Postby Spence » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:09 am

I don't think Tennessee falls much. I have Michigan out of the T25, but the voters will probably put them 20-25. Texas should drop after struggling, probably not out of the top 10. Florida State is out of the T25, probably only temporarily. Their schedule should have them back in it if they win.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

wvjohn
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby wvjohn » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:33 am

I put Mich & Florida St. out of the top 25
Big 12

FEAR NONE RESPECT ALL

IT IS A GREAT DAY TO BE A MOUNTAINEER WHERE EVER YOU MAY BE

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:56 am

I think with just 2 replies you see the one problem with the polls.

Many pollsters are too hesitant to drop somebody very far because they think they will bounce back, and its opposite which is really the same thing. Hesitancy to put a team up higher when they foresee what they think is a loss or problems in the schedule coming. There should only be 1 poll that reflects perception of future events, The Pre-Season Poll.

With teams closer than ever it shouldn't be a huge deal for teams to move 10 places in the first few weeks. Then the moves get smaller as you get more games to judge upon. (If a team looked 10% worse than you thought and you had them at #12 then that may not even be a top 25 team. But a team that is "supposed" to win by 17 wins by 2 and they drop 2 spots.)

*Of the same thread or what could be viewed at as an extension of this, many Pollsters cast ballots where they kind of average between where they think a team is now and where they will end up at Bowl Season.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:57 am

His ratings aren't worth much at all until you get some games in.

If you are going to use computers you have to feed them data. He needs to put in a factor for player turn-over from end-of to start-of season.

But the computers, the algorithm actually, still fails in a few areas. It would really help the accuracy if you accounted for how long the starters played.

If Michigan would get ranked 40th I am buying 7 new Corvettes. Since the end of the world is at hand I should never have to make a payment!
R. Reagan

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:21 pm

fluiddude wrote:The Top 15 or so are pretty easy to list, after that it's just gut feeling and predjudice at this point.

Agreed. I'm surprised as well with Michigan dropping out of the Top 25. Didn't see that coming.

I don't think Tenn should drop more than 5 spots. Especially when they lost to higher ranked team.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:30 pm

I put Michigan out because I thought that a fifth ranked team should beat the 1-AA champ. Whether or not they bounce back or not is up to them. I dropped FSU out, but they are barely out of the T25. They still lost to an unranked team. Tennessee I dropped a little. They play decent on the road against a great team, you can't drop them much for that. I think they have to drop, though, no more of that standing pat when you lose like Notre Dame did a few years ago when they lost to SC close at home.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:39 pm

Spence wrote:I put Michigan out because I thought that a fifth ranked team should beat the 1-AA champ. Whether or not they bounce back or not is up to them. I dropped FSU out, but they are barely out of the T25. They still lost to an unranked team. Tennessee I dropped a little. They play decent on the road against a great team, you can't drop them much for that. I think they have to drop, though, no more of that standing pat when you lose like Notre Dame did a few years ago when they lost to SC close at home.

I agree .... I think standing should reflect how you are doing now. Want to move up...you win games against good opponents.....First week blow out scores in the mis matches can not count for too much...coaches played a lot of players and backed off....Upsets or struggles...you pay some price. This last week was a week to lose ground..not much to gain any.....and that's the way it was,,,September 4, 2007.....whatever happened to that TV show??? :)
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:22 pm

And I'm glad to see that Texas dropped 3 spots. I'd have dropped them 5 spots probably with some benefit of the doubt for Wk1 slop. Which is what Michigan fnas have to hate if they make one of those lousy Field Goals. They are probably 1-0 and setting in 8th or 9th.

And I'd put a good chunk O' dead presidents on App. State beating Arkansas State.
R. Reagan

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Swamp Daddy » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:13 pm

Well, perhaps this time, the pollsters used logic instead of prejudice in the votes. Michigan did fall out of the T25 though I'd have bet against that too. :oops:

Swamp Daddy 8)
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

Return to “General Discussion”