ACC PRESEASON THOUGHTS

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

ACC PRESEASON THOUGHTS

Postby billybud » Wed May 10, 2006 11:01 am

Last year was a "good" year for the ACC...I expect some fall off this year..(after 51 ACC guys going to NFL).

My rankings and thoughts...

1. FSU- My homer pick. And why not? Noles have proven they can win the conference. Maybe the most talented and deepest overall team (along with Miami). Offense should improve mainly due to better QB and O-line play. The defense should again be very good. Even if the Noles lose to Miami, they could still finish with the best record in the ACC.

2. Clemson- Very athletic and talented team. Loaded at the skill positions on offense. Breaking in a new QB is a concern. The O-line is proven and returns all 5 starters and 9 of 10 two deep. Great RB's. The defense returns the ACC's best DE and and one of the best LB's...there are a few holes to fill (like at CB and the interior D line). Clemson is strong and does not play Miami this year...

3. Miami- This team reminds me of FSU's 2004 team. A great defense with a less than stellar offense. O-line hasn't been up to Cane standards and has difficulty protecting Wright. QB play is shaky when Wright gets heavy pressure. The Cane WR's are at the lowest level of talent I've seen in the last decade. This team should be very competitive (they are Miami), but will come up short in some games due to offensive woes and 1st-year coaching adjustments. If the Canes make use of Olsen and throw more to him and if Moss recovers from his ACL injury, the Canes will again be the team to beat for the ACC title...I definitely would not be surprised to see the Canes in the ACC CCG.

4. Georgia Tech- My "surprise" pick..most will have GT lower. GT returns most of their defense which was decent last year. The good news and bad news is that the offense returns senior QB Reggie Ball. (last year's offense was mediocre, at best). The techies proved they can beat Miami last year and may do it again. Reggie Ball at QB is like the nursery rhyme. When he is good, he is very good, and when he is bad, he is horrid. If Ball has a good year, the Jackets will contend. My concern about my "surprise" pick is that Ball has a career sub .500 completion ratio and I am picking entirely on Reggie returning to freshman form...that may be wishful thinking.

5. VaTech- Losing Marcus Vick will hurt. They still have plenty of talent on offense, but the QB hasn't yet developed. They lose some steam on defense, but usually surprise ppl. by reloading. Frank Beamer is a good coach who will push the talent they have.

6. Boston College- You know their O-line will be good (although maybe not as good as last year), and they return Matt Ryan, who I like at QB. No experienced WR's, the Boston boys lost their top two WR's . Lost Kiwi at DE. The Eagles have some talented prospects spotted at certain positions, they just aren't talented enough and deep enough overall to beat the big-boys.

7. NCState- Huge losses on the d-line (3 first-round draft picks) and breaking in a new QB hurts badly. There will be some wins against weaker ACC competition, but this is not the same NCState of the last several years.

8. Virginia- Replaces QB and loses star LB's. Still has talent at skill positions, but defense has holes. This team played up and down last year (depending on Hagan's play) and will regress some this year.

9. UNC- This team has shown improvement the last 2-3 years (9-7 in conference last two years) and is just now catching up on team speed on defense. The Heels are a team that can beat you if you come in flat or turn the ball over, but they are not as talented as the top 6 teams. That the Heels are breaking in a new QB lowers my expectations.

10. Wake Forrest- Replaces the QB, returns good RB talent. The Deacon offense is difficult to defend without a lot of prep time because it is so different from anything else in conference...a lot of misdirection, cut blocking on the line...the scheme allows a less talented team to give real problems to teams, but this won't be the once every two decade year that the Demons break .500 in conference (since 1992, Wake has won .264 of its conference games).

11. Maryland- Replaces QB, star LB, and doesn't return great talent. This team could be very mediocre next year.....or, it could surprise and move up to mid tier.

12. Duke...is it midnight madness yet?

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed May 10, 2006 12:09 pm

The Clemson/FSU early season matchup will most likely determine he winner of the ATLANTIC DIVISION....

Clemson has a leg up on schedule because they do not play Miami...if FSU loses to Miami, the Clemson game is a must win...Clemson may only lose one or two games.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed May 10, 2006 12:25 pm

I really think we might be able to see a Clemson vs. Georgia Tech ACC championship game. Proctor is a good enough QB to get the job done, but in a major conference like the ACC, you have to do more than "just get it done."

I think Ball will be spectacular this season, that's why I'm taking them to be a "shock" and win the ACC. I did pick Boston College at first, but then I got this eriee feeling that an upset might be brewing in Mt. Pleasant...........
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed May 10, 2006 1:11 pm

I think Ball will be spectacular this season, that's why I'm taking them to be a "shock" and win the ACC.

And why would Ball be spectacular? His fairy godmother wave the wand? Or you just have this "hunch"?

...he doesn't complete 50% of passes, has more INT's than TD's, his completion percentage has declined every year since his freshman year. What is going to make this year different?

Calvin Johnson is a good WR...but, behind Calvin, the talent is thin....Calvin will get doubled.

Maybe...if Tashard Choice becomes a major rushing threat (likely), Reggie's passing game will benefit. It was Choice's running that helped GT get by the Canes last year.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed May 10, 2006 3:24 pm

I just think he's got it in him and he should at least mature as a QB somewhat this season. Let's hope that he at least puts it together a little bit. I'm aware he's been declining, but I just really like the look of GT as a whole this year. Maybe "spectacular" wasn't the best word of choice. Maybe it's "show a little improvement".

And, yeah, I have a little bit of a hunch (it hasn't served me well in the past :( )

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed May 10, 2006 3:39 pm

Hey, Warchant .... I just saw your predictions for this coming season. Of course, I don't have any better predictions as far a who's going to finish where, but I will make this prediction. :o

If things turn out that way, Chuck won't be the only coach on the hot seat. Ralph and Al will be sitting on either side of him. And if you are wrong about Miami they are going to need another chair. :lol:

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed May 10, 2006 6:22 pm

I too think that Ga Tech will not finish 4....They will finish 2nd at worst.

DONT be surprised when they end up in the championship game.

And I dont say that because im from Ga....Cause I hate Tech. And they will beat the dawgs this year most likely.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed May 10, 2006 7:11 pm

Derek, let me tell you, that's the true sign of an unbiased fan. Giving credit to a hated enemy!

I do the same with Notre Dame and Ohio State even though it gives me stomach pain :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed May 10, 2006 7:18 pm

Eric wrote:Derek, let me tell you, that's the true sign of an unbiased fan. Giving credit to a hated enemy!

I do the same with Notre Dame and Ohio State even though it gives me stomach pain :lol:

I pretty much have to be forced. :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed May 10, 2006 7:58 pm

I wonder if Eric's statement would stand up under the scrutiny of a polygraph? :lol:

I somehow sense that Spence's would. :lol:

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed May 10, 2006 10:31 pm

Notre Dame and Ohio State were ver-uh....uh....(come on Eric)..I-I-I'm try-....

Oh whatever, they were good.

There, I said it :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed May 10, 2006 11:34 pm

mountainman wrote:I wonder if Eric's statement would stand up under the scrutiny of a polygraph? :lol:

I somehow sense that Spence's would. :lol:

Truth be told, I think most Ohio State and Michigan fans would rather both teams be undefeated when it comes time for "the game". Not that we root for Michigan mind you, but we would still love to meet undefeated. It is my opinion that most teams would rather their main rival come into the rivary undefeated.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu May 11, 2006 12:55 am

Nice job, guys. We're all proud of both of you. :D

...... and if anybody believes that crap they probably also believe in the tooth fairy. Need proof, check out the digs that were posted before last year's Michigan/Ohio State or Ohio State/Michigan game. :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu May 11, 2006 12:59 am

It is true. I always hope Michigan and Ohio State are undefeated when it comes time for "the game". It makes beating them sweeter. :twisted:

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu May 11, 2006 1:07 am

And with that your Honor and members of the jury ... I rest my case.

:lol: :D :lol: :D

Return to “General Discussion”