Who do you like for the National Championship Game?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Tue May 16, 2006 8:36 pm

Bottom Line:

If either of these teams go undefeated they will play in the BCS Championship game no matter who else remains undefeated.

Winner of Texas vs OSU
Winner of USC vs Notre Dame

You can only argue the fairness of that statement, if you think it's not you ARE delusional.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue May 16, 2006 8:49 pm

You are right, but that is a big IF :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue May 16, 2006 9:16 pm

It seems every year a team gets predicted to win the title because of their "easy schedule". Last year's popular favorite was Louisville (never understood that one). Every year some teams jump up that nobody expected to be good. Predicting strength of schedule is tough in the pre-season. Always a lot of surprises along the way.

Oh man, right there with you! Don't forget about Purdue! That Louisville pick wasn't very smart. They still had a C-USA defense and I just didn't think they could be transplanted into a BCS conference and win while never facing that competition week in and week out. Now, the loss to South Florida came absolutely out of nowhere, but I was really cheering for West Virginia to beat the Cards because I'd have to eat my words if they didn't. I don't know why, but I have just never, ever liked Louisville. However, I do think they win this conference in 2006 now that they've had a taste of showtime-play.

Purdue was the hot pick for the BCS because of their schedule, too. "No Michigan, no Ohio State, great defense" was the motto of the bandwagoners. I think Purdue will be respectable this season.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Tue May 16, 2006 9:17 pm

Personally I'd like to see a couple of schools that usually finish in the middle of pack have spectacular seasons and make the title game. I think I would find that more interesting than a game between two teams that always seem to finish in the top 10.

So, I guess I'll be rooting for the Cals, Iowa States and Clemsons of the world. I know they and the multitude of schools that fit into the same category would all be long shots but I think it would be great if somebody like that unexpectedly went undefeated.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue May 16, 2006 9:19 pm

There is Arizona State out there...

That is one heck of a team to keep an eye on. They appear to have a decent defense with, what should be regarded as a top 5 offense in the nation. These guys will smack the Pac-10 around considering the poor defensive shows.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Tue May 16, 2006 9:35 pm

One team that WILL win one in the next 7 years is SC, Spurrier is too good.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue May 16, 2006 9:45 pm

I'll agree with that. I just can't understand the doubters. You can build a program anywhere in the country. For heavens sake, he won an ACC title at Duke! If you want to build a program, say, at Buffalo:

Make sure you have good facilities and the school is devoted to produce a winning product on the field with proper fan support and funding.

Have quality, football character players.

Hire a great coaching staff.

Make sure your coach grows along with the program, and if you're thinking long-term give the guy 6 seasons. The reasons schools can't get anything started is because they fire-and-hire coaches so quickly.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue May 16, 2006 10:51 pm

Spence wrote:I think Miami has some problems to work out. I don't think they are ready yet.

Definately agree. I dont even see Miami in the conference championship game for the ACC, much less a BCS bowl.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue May 16, 2006 10:54 pm

Yeofoot wrote:One team that WILL win one in the next 7 years is SC, Spurrier is too good.

I can agree with that too....Although I hate his whiny guts. :lol:

My step-dad played against him in High School...He played for Johnson City High and my dad played for Church Hill. He said that Spurrier was as whiny then as his is now.

A cry baby if you will.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed May 17, 2006 12:04 am

Jason G wrote:Personally I'd like to see a couple of schools that usually finish in the middle of pack have spectacular seasons and make the title game. I think I would find that more interesting than a game between two teams that always seem to finish in the top 10.

So, I guess I'll be rooting for the Cals, Iowa States and Clemsons of the world. I know they and the multitude of schools that fit into the same category would all be long shots but I think it would be great if somebody like that unexpectedly went undefeated.

I personally want one of the favorites to be there again! :lol:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed May 17, 2006 8:56 am

South Carolina will not be a National Champion contender...not in my lifetime.

With all the talent in Florida, in a 13 year period where Florida teams won six national championships, Spurrier got his NC.

Stevo won't have the same talent in South Carolina....a state that is dominated by Clemson...

South Carolina is 2-8 vs Clemson in the last ten meetings..... .in 100 years of football, South Carolina has had one double digit win season....and only one nine win season. No coach has ever been "successful" at South Carolina.

Things happen...and South Carolina could, I guess, win a NC...and pigs could fly.

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Wed May 17, 2006 9:41 am

billybud wrote:I think that relative schedule strength isn't as hard to predict as WTF losses...a loss to a team that should be beaten.

Well, yeah. I suppose I can agree with that.

Some of these mystery losses come because teams are better than you expect them to be. An example from last year was South Carolina and Central Florida. Everybody was curious what South Carolina would be with Spurrier. Their first game against Central Florida, a team that failed to win in the previous season and everybody thought was terrible, South Carolina barely won the game. Everybody thought that USC would be terrible, however it turned out that Central Florida was far, far better than anybody thought.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Wed May 17, 2006 4:04 pm

rolltide wrote:I just don't think Tennessee will have it together this year. I also don't see Alabama even getting into a BCS bowl, although I would like to see them in the NC game.
Sat, Sep 02 Hawaii Tuscaloosa win

Sat, Sep 09 Vanderbilt Tuscaloosa win

Sat, Sep 16 Louisiana-Monroe Tuscaloosa win

Sat, Sep 23 Arkansas at Fayetteville, AR I think win

Sat, Sep 30 Florida at Gainesville, FL leaning loss

Sat, Oct 07 Duke Tuscaloosa TBA win

Sat, Oct 14 Ole Miss Tuscaloosa TBA win

Sat, Oct 21 Tennessee at Knoxville, TN split on this one

Sat, Oct 28 Florida International (HC) Tuscaloosa win

Sat, Nov 04 Mississippi State Tuscaloosa win

Sat, Nov 11 LSU at Baton Rouge, LA probable loss

Sat, Nov 18 Auburn Tuscaloosa TBA better win

So out of the 12 games I think 2 losses at least are very probable. More than 4 losses and I am having a heart attack. Better beat Awbarn.
Thanks for posting this information, and I agree with you, mostly but with a few exceptions. I think Arkansas will be a hard win for Alabama, they might lose that one. They might lose to Florida, but I am leaning 'win' anyway. I think they beat Tennessee. You have to remember LSU likely knocked Alabama out of the SEC championship game, you don't think they'll have 'revenge' on their mind?
And I think Alabama will beat Auburn. Or Awbarn?

Then it's Georgia for the SEC, and after that Phoenix, Arizona.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

West Virginia

Postby RazorHawk » Wed May 17, 2006 7:26 pm

Jason G wrote:I also like West Virginia. The only problem is if there are three or more undefeated teams at the end of the season the strength of schedule may be their downfall.
Looking at West Virginia's schedule, I don't think they should be in the Natl Championship game, even if they are undefeated.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed May 17, 2006 7:40 pm

West Virginia'a schedule is very weak, but considering the ACC raid, I think it is fair to let the B-East have some time to rebuild. Taking Va. Tech and Miami from the B-east would be like taking Ohio State and Michigan out of the B-10. That is a tough situation and the fact that WVU beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl should carry some weight if they play well and do in fact go undefeated.

Return to “General Discussion”