I have an idea about a football pool.

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Tue May 16, 2006 4:17 pm

It's called a confidence pool. A lot of the major sports sites run one of these during bowl season.

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Tue May 16, 2006 4:20 pm

Here's a link to ESPN's:

http://games.espn.go.com/bowlmania/frontpage

Standard disclaimer:

This post has nothing to do with, and is not intended to deal with TCU in any way, shape or manner.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue May 16, 2006 4:29 pm

I feel you, David. I introduced that to the bowl prediction game, and some people had a hard time understanding it. Once you say, "oh, yeah!" it's so simple.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Pool

Postby RazorHawk » Tue May 16, 2006 7:05 pm

I have also been in this type pool for bowl games. I run a pool for some of my friends where we pick 12 college games and 6 pro games each week. Have been doing this for almost 10 years and every year the pct right is between 49.5 and 51.6. More evidence to not bet through a bookie!

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue May 16, 2006 7:22 pm

Welcome aboard RazorHawk.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Welcome

Postby RazorHawk » Tue May 16, 2006 7:34 pm

Spence wrote:Welcome aboard RazorHawk.
Thanks... Hope the list of posters grows.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue May 16, 2006 7:41 pm

It will, this board has only been up since December. The old board had several more people, a lot of people don't hang out here in the off-season. It will grow as the season draws near.

David, they did confidence points in the picks game last year here.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue May 16, 2006 9:28 pm

I agree, Spence. The old board had more action because there were more "fly-by" posters who never came back to check on it.

I expect this board to grow tremendously considering it's been installed since December. CFP.com has implanted the regulars of the old board and all kinds of new posters who have had a lot to contribute to this.

Nice to have you along. By the way, my roots are in Arkansas, so go Hogs! What do you think about them playing USC this year? I, honestly guys, think they have an EQUAL chance to defeat USC as USC does Arkansas. I really think that because Arkansas has a lot of things going for them in this game. Overall, the talent of USC should win, but all of the factors, I think, should act somewhat as an equalizer. But of course, one of the few problems I have with college football is when the favorite pulls away at the end because they're usually just better.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Wed May 17, 2006 11:58 am

ktffan wrote:Here's a link to ESPN's:

http://games.espn.go.com/bowlmania/frontpage

Standard disclaimer:

This post has nothing to do with, and is not intended to deal with TCU in any way, shape or manner.
I have a better idea.
Unless I'm mistaken the CFP will already be applying some kind of 'model' with respect to how games are selected (and evaluated).
We could simply use those games within our 'pool'.
If you guys want to assign 'confidence' points, by all means, do it, but I personally don't care, one way or another, how 'confident' I am in a game.
I just like putting my neck on the line, and seeing how it goes, myself.
And, I think it really isn't necessary, since the games themselves will likely be pretty good pairings of teams, assuming the top-25 model is applied (which I assume it will be).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed May 17, 2006 3:05 pm

The picks game and the rules will be announced before the season starts. Mountainman and I are working on a little stop gap game until the predictions game starts up. Stay tuned.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

USC vs Arkansas

Postby RazorHawk » Wed May 17, 2006 4:07 pm

Eric wrote:
By the way, my roots are in Arkansas, so go Hogs! What do you think about them playing USC this year? I, honestly guys, think they have an EQUAL chance to defeat USC as USC does Arkansas. I really think that because Arkansas has a lot of things going for them in this game. Overall, the talent of USC should win, but all of the factors, I think, should act somewhat as an equalizer. But of course, one of the few problems I have with college football is when the favorite pulls away at the end because they're usually just better.

I am hopeful that this year we will not get embarrassed as we did in last years' game. USC has lost some people and Arkansas has many returning. If we can get the QB situation settled, the Hogs might be pretty good. Competing in the SEC is a much more difficult task than the old SWC.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed May 17, 2006 4:10 pm

Here's my list of things going for the Hogs:

1. Home opener
2. SEC home-field advantage
3. Sweltering early-September heat
4. Experience of Arkansas
5. Inexperience on offense of USC
6. And of course REVENGE :twisted:

Return to “General Discussion”