Petrino

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Petrino

Postby Eric » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:35 pm

Wow, what do you guys think of the hire? :shock:

We might be staring at a future SEC powerhouse. Their passing game will see instant improvement at least.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Petrino

Postby RazorHawk » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:44 pm

Eric wrote:Wow, what do you guys think of the hire? :shock:

We might be staring at a future SEC powerhouse. Their passing game will see instant improvement at least.
If he doesn't go Dana Altman on the Razorbacks. Not saying the we will be a powerhouse, but hopefully he will win above the 50% conference wins in the Nutt era.

Great Hire. And should help recruiting.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Swamp Daddy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:40 pm

ATTENTION: All you Arkansas fans, before you hail the second coming check out Petrino's record in the past at UL and long before that. :shock:

check out this old thread: Louisville Football??????? on about page 11 back; and, in that thread check out this spoof of Petrino leaving Louisville and going to Atlanta:

"now, if you want something funny to read about this read the rib tickling article at the link below:

http://thebrushback.com/petrino_full.htm be sure and read the whole thing." :twisted:

Petrino is flat out a classless liar. He will jump ship at Arkansas too, to go somewhere else. When is the only variable. I hope you aren't too disappointed. :mrgreen:

And, don't count on his recruiting ability. Opposing coaches simply need to make a printout of his "loyalty" statements (many of them) such as, 'I love Louisville, this is the place I want to be, etc.' and how each such loyalty statement turned out to be a lie in a very short time.

Swamp Daddy
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:11 am

He was not a good fit for Atlanta...He did not interact with the players rumors say.

His heart was never there. Not a big Falcons fan, but glad to see him go.

How many coaches have lasted less than one year?
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:40 am

It's sad to see coaches who are supposed to be role models to the kids that play for them, be blatant liars and manipulators to get the jobs that land them in that position. Nick Saban and Bobby Petrino are the two most-recent examples.

Petrino to recruit: Come play for me at Arkansas - I promise you I'll be there throughout your college football playing days.
Recruit: Will I be playing football more than a year?
Petrino: What do you mean?
Recruit: Well, you lasted less than a year at Atlanta.
Petrino: But I was at Louisville for four years.
Recruit: But you left less than a year after you signed a 10-year extension for $25 million bucks.
Saban: Guess the kid got you there, Bobby. Listen kid, come for play me at Michigan State, err LSU, uh Miami, I mean...where the hell am I coaching now Bobby?
Petrino: That would be Alabama, bud, and you improved Mike Shula's regular season record of 6-6 to, oh yeah, 6-6.
Saban: Just trying to raise my income per win, Bobby.
Petrino: I understand, Nick. And each win this season earned you 2/3 of a million bucks! But the best part was that loss to UL-Monroe. Man, that was priceless.
Saban: How much is Arkansas paying you for your history of disloyalty?
Petrino (proudly): 3 million cool ones.
Saban: I already set the bar at $4 million you fool! And you climbed UNDER it?
Petrino: Yeah, but I'll be at Arkansas forever, man. I LOVE Fayetteville.
Saban: Did you pay any attention to what happened to Houston?
Petrino: Texans?
Saban: No.
Petrino: oh, the Houston Cougars and that Art Briles thing?
Saban: No, Houston.
(Petrino stares blankly at Saban)
Saban: NUTT!
Petrino: (offended) MORON!
Recruit: Could you two please leave now? You're scaring me.

Geez. Parents should simply lock the doors and draw the shades when these guys come calling to recruit their kids.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:35 am

Maybe it will be a good fit...the Administration lied about the Nutt dismissal...according to the stories posted by Arkansas supporters......so..what the heck..they got one of their own. ......
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:04 am

Pettrino's style in the SEC could be interesting. But Texas Tech is coming to mind!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:04 am

Go_UofL_Cards wrote:Petrino is a coach that is obsessed with winning and will go to extremes to achieve success on the field. He demanded perfection from the Louisville players, and it showed. However, he was known for screaming, yelling and getting in player's faces. I think he was a great coach, but not a good person.

As SwampDaddy mentioned, he will probably leave Arkansas if he has any short lived success (see Louisville).

I like the hire, but don't think it'll last long. Petrino is known for offense, but he consisantly had top 25 defenses at louisville as well. He's not a steller recruiter, and his disloyalty to Lousville might play a factor in player's decisions to become a razorback.

ON the other hand...
I'm just glad Arkansas will be able to beat UK for afew more years!!
I think your evaluation is spot on, and not full of sour grapes. I personally, was hoping for a Muschamp hire. Hopefully he will be in Fayetteville for at least 4 years. The last coach Arkansas hired from a one year stint in the NFL (Holtz) worked out pretty well, until he was run out of town by Broyles.

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Swamp Daddy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:01 pm

Hi all: Well, it'll all come out in the wash, er, I mean next season as to how well Petrino will do. And, I darn near died reading VTfanatic's reply. Right on dude. LOL. :P

Still, it's doubtful Arkansas will go in the tank as quickly as UL did with Kragthorpe. :oops: But, that's another thread.

And, I actually like Arkansas a bit; hopefully this won't kill recruiting. Time will tell (make that show). If he had waited a week or so he could probably have had that LSU job (and saved you Razorbacks the inevitable grief when he leaves). Remember, LSU was one of his sneak off interviews while swearing long term loyalty to UL

Swamp Daddy

8)

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:31 pm

I wonder if it's a statement of our society, (ie. your "word" is irrelevant)? :(

Guys like Bowden and JoePa are the last of a dying breed??? I feel lucky that our coach has stayed for 7 years, and hope he stays for another 7.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Swamp Daddy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:20 pm

Sorry all: But just I have to repeat what I heard on local talk radio from a UK fan looking forward to meet the Petrino coached Arkansas team :evil:

PETRINO divided up is:
PET = he'll treat you like a dog
RINO = Reno = he'll be seeing you there for a divorce shortly after the marriage.

Swamp Daddy 8)

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:51 am

Not that it is relevant...but...

I don't like what I see when I look in his beady eyes. The kind of stare that usually goes with a hand I wouldn't shake!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:25 am

WoVeU wrote:Not that it is relevant...but...

I don't like what I see when I look in his beady eyes. The kind of stare that usually goes with a hand I wouldn't shake!
I see the same thing. Hopefully, he will win some games, as winning is what it is all about.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:37 am

I feel bad for the real Arkansas fans, like RH and Doss, but Petrino is what the ones who ran Nutt out deserve. I'm not saying that Nutt shouldn't have had a job review at the end of the season or that he should have remained the coach, based on performance. Just that no program should be pubically rolled through the mud by it's "fans".

I don't think Petrino will win at Arkansas. Players don't play for a guy who isn't behind them. Petrino only serves himself.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:43 am

RazorHawk wrote:
WoVeU wrote:Not that it is relevant...but...

I see the same thing. Hopefully, he will win some games, as winning is what it is all about.

The quote from Todd Turner...AD of UW who quit...was...I am not comfortable continuing with a School where the philosophy is "win at all costs". He resigned..was fired..mutual agreement....if schools can not self control...somebody will and that is sad....I am so disgruntled with the big picture am ready to move on the something else....let the patients run the asylum.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Return to “General Discussion”