Nokia Sugar Bowl

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Nokia Sugar Bowl

Postby Eric » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:06 pm

Georgia won the SEC. West Virginia won the Big East. I think that is all the argument Georgia needs, but that isn't all. Well, maybe it is. Georgia is the favorite to win this ballgame, they probably are a better team. The only aspect of the game where they are overwhelmingly better is the passing game. They should win a tight ballgame.

BUT

Check this out. West Virginia has the better total defense, the better scoring offense, the better run offense by far, and the better run defense. The only categories where they are down by a couple spots is total offense, scoring defense, pass defense, and turnover margin. This would suprise most people. The only category where they are far behind is pass offense. Pat White and Slaton are brilliant at running the spread option, and they should be able to run against Georgia. However, they are 115th in the passing game. West Virginia isn't going to win if Pat White puts up Kyle Orton NFL numbers. They're going to be too one-dimensional against a stingy UGA defense, and I think that is the reason they win a very close ballgame.

My prediction, Georgia 23-17.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:18 pm

West Virginia will have to throw the ball to win. Georgia will start the game daring West Virginia to throw the ball.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:57 pm

Well, guys. What can I say that hasn't been said before?

The time grows near to line 'em up and play...... tic ... tic ... tic. It's the calm time before the storm.

Let's all hope for a good, hard hitting, clean and well played football game.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:39 pm

I think it will be a good game.

I wish the B-10 wasn't taking it on the chin right now. Glen "I can blow any game" Mason stole defeat out of the jaws of victory today.

Northwestern didn't have a defense all year so it is little surprise they do not have one now.

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:26 pm

I thought the Big 10 would have 2 losses coming from Northwestern and Wisconsin....

Time to stick my foot in my mouth!

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:04 am

Oops, that was me, once again not logging in.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:04 am

Tough game to call. I think this is the most evenly matched not only of the BCS games but all the January games. No offense to mountainman here but I'll go with Geogia here simply because I think they have played a tougher schedule and are a little more used to playing games against an opponent of this quality but it really could gop either way.

My prediction: West Virginia 28 Georgia 31

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:36 am

None taken, Jason G.

We'll give 'em our best shot and keep our fingers crossed.

Your right about Georgia's schedule. It's been tougher. The Mountaineers are a young bunch and we'll just set back and see how they do.

The game time clock is running ... tic ... tic ... tic

I'll be a wreck by the time it gets here ....... Happy New Year

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:21 pm

You know .... Georgia is going to have either a defensive lineman, a linebacker, or a defensive back spying on our quarterback tomorrow night.

I'm sure they will change up, depending on the down and distance and the game situation, which player does the spying .... but if the Mountaineers Offensive Coordinator can get in sync with the Georgia Defensive Coordinator and guess correctly who they got spying when .... and then get the right blocking scheme with the fullback or the H-back blocking the spy .... we just might be able to get our guy loose.

On the flip side, the Mountaineers have got to get Georgia's running game slowed down .... they work everything off their running game.

Just some of the ramblings of a Mountaineer fan on the eve of the game ..........

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:45 pm

On the flip side, the Mountaineers have got to get Georgia's running game slowed down .... they work everything off their running game.

This is the key to the game.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:50 pm

I see where Greg Blue, Georgia's All-American safety and strong arm guy, said that he was going to light up those two freshmen from West Virginia (Salton and White) and show them how football is played in the Southeastern Conference.

If the Mountaineers can get our fullback/H-back, Owen Schmitt, at 250lbs, the ball and let Blue have to take him on a few times, maybe we can take some of the sass out of him.

On the flip side .... the Mountaineer's defense is going to have to execute the scramble drill if we're going to keep Shockley under control .... our DB's are going to have to make good decisions about staying with the receivers or coming up to get Shockley .... he likes to throw on the run ... expecially to throw deep while on the run .....

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:10 pm

Georgia's offensive line is hugh.

The Mountaineer defensive front is going to have to use good technique and leverage this bunch or they will blow us off the line of scrimmage.

There tight end is 6'7" and 250lbs, and Shockley likes to throw to him .... I wonder how the Mountaineer's defense is going to play this guy???

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:26 pm

The Mountaineers have got to win the special teams phase of the game ... we cannot let Georgia get a cheap score or a short field, and we've got to score with the kicking game (PAT's & field goals) when opportunity presents itself. Those rugby punts (we do it both ways) worry me sometimes. We've got to keep them backed-up and make them go a long way to score. A score by our special teams would help our cause a bunch.

We really need the intangibles of the game (penalities, fumbles, etc) to go our way too.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:16 pm

I see where Greg Blue, Georgia's All-American safety and strong arm guy, said that he was going to light up those two freshmen from West Virginia (Salton and White) and show them how football is played in the Southeastern Conference.

That is the kind of talk you like to here coming from the other team. Rodriguez should remind his team of those comments every minute until game time.

GA DAWG

Topic

Postby GA DAWG » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:23 am

I am VERY glad to see that this is of topic... the game is TONIGHT!! :lol: Best of luck to ya Mountainman with your Mountaineers.. are you able to come down to the game? Hope so.. every fan counts.. i am hoping for a great football game here.. the only thing i know is Georgia football... we play hard.. and we don't give up.. so if the Mountaineers can keep up, this could turn out to be a VERY interesting ball game.. on behalf of Georgia, WELCOME WEST VIRGINIA FANS!! Enjoy our peach state.. 8)

Return to “General Discussion”