Spring Preseason Rankings

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:57 pm

No argument there.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:08 pm

MECU wrote:TOP 25: POST-SPRING EDITION
1. Ohio State Buckeyes
2. Oklahoma Sooners
3. West Virginia Mountaineers
4. Texas Longhorns
5. Florida State Seminoles
6. USC Trojans
7. California Golden Bears
8. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
9. Auburn Tigers
10. Iowa Hawkeyes
11. Clemson Tigers
12. Florida Gators
13. LSU Tigers
14. Oregon Ducks
15. Nebraska Cornhuskers
16. Michigan Wolverines
17. Louisville Cardinals
18. Miami Hurricanes
19. TCU Horned Frogs
20. Boston College Eagles
21. Penn State Nittany Lions
22. Georgia Bulldogs
23. UTEP Miners
24. Virginia Tech Hokies
25. Texas Tech Red Raiders

Penn State is way too low in my opinion. They may end up there because of their tough schedule, but they're better than 21. I can't see USC as a top-10. Perhaps if they had a QB or RB with some experience...

This list is complete crap!!! :lol:

22??

UTEP at 23? USC at 6?? Silly.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:15 pm

Other than Georgia being too low, I think his poll looks pretty good.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:20 pm

it'll be a real shame if Adrian Petersen plays hurt all season again.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:36 am

Those of us who follow Clemson know this is their year...they are loaded...

The Tigers bring back all 5 starting O linemen and the whole O line two deep minus 1 guy...they have one of the most potent running games in the ACC and a terrific front 7 on defense. Against Colorado, in the bowl, RB James Davis rushed for 150 yards. CJ Spiller may also play in the backfield and he was ranked by Rivals as the nation's #1 RB.

Last year, although the Tigers won eight games, two losses came to end ranked teams in OT and the other was by one point. Clemson was a few breaks away from being undefeated.

If the QB can throw a little, Clemson will be very good.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:45 am

And...speaking of Colorado...How are they coming along?

I have only really followed Colorado in the last ACC games with Colorado...Clemson's win in the 2005 bowl, FSU's 47-7 win in 2003, and Miami's 23-3 win last year. The Texas clubbing is the only game that sticks in my mind and it was a horrific beating. Colorado had to be better than that to make it to the CCG...didn't they?

I plan to travel next year to Colorado to watch FSU play the return half of the home and home and hope that it will be a good match.

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:24 am

MECU wrote:What's CCG?

Conference Championship Game

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:26 pm

Thanks for the scoop on the Buffs....a rebuilding year..

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:56 am

I never understood why they put teams that play each other so close together??? Does that make sense to anyone????

Look at 12,13....LSU and Florida....ONE of those teams of going to lose to the other.

And with the way the polls work, would the loser NOT drop???

Come on....This is silly and I think they draw these names of a hat. Or maybe do the groundhog trick where Ivan maisel see's his shadow and knows if USC or Notre Dame will win the NC. :lol:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:38 pm

There are different ways that people rank teams..

Some are thinking in terms of perceived, on-paper, abstract "quality" ......... they are simply making a guess as to what they believe to be the "best" team with no games being played. Usually, they consider how well the team played the previous season and how many experienced players return from that team (as well as the coaching staff), along with the traditional recruiting clout of the program over the past few years, and rank the team accordingly.

Others are thinking more in terms of who has the best opportunity to finish their season unbeaten . Essentially taking schedule into account, and making a prediction as to the chances of each team running the table . This may not necessarily be the "best" team on paper but a good team with a user friendly schedule that gives them a relatively good chance of winning all their games. There is still no guarentee that they get a shot at the BCS title game but it certainly gives them a better chance than most other teams.

By the abstract quality method, a case can be made for about a dozen different teams, possibly more depending on what you believe about relative program strengths. This method is what gives you the "usual suspects" such as Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida State, Miami, Florida, USC; and it means that usually a couple of these teams dissappoint (like Tennessee did last year) when the team simply fails to jell in the manner usually expected of a group from these "power programs".

Using the "predict the entire season using the schedules" method typically favors good teams in conferences where the opponents are relatively "down" by comparison. The current perception of the Big East Conference is a good example . Playing out the schedule indicates West Virginia may very well run the table as they only have a couple of games where they won't be comfortably favored, and even their couple of "tough" games may not actually have them as an underdog. Perhaps Louisville is in a similar situation.

By asking "who is preseason #1", if you mean what team is the "best" on paper, purely as an abstract statement, a good case can be made for several teams, but the most obvious are the talent laden power program units returning the most experience . Texas, for instance, really sticks out in this method. They accomplished a lot last year, the roster returns a bevy of experienced players, and only the QB seems to be a significant question mark.

If the question is actually more about "which team has the best opportunity to finish the season with a shot at the BCS title game", then I might be inclined to say West Virginia. They accomplished a lot last year, return a bunch of experienced players, and have a schedule that gives them a pretty smooth path to a possible undefeated season.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:11 pm

I really liked the opinion you BillyBud wrote, when I read it on ESPN.com:

Some are thinking in terms of perceived, on-paper, abstract "quality" ......... they are simply making a guess as to what they believe to be the "best" team with no games being played. Usually, they consider how well the team played the previous season and how many experienced players return from that team (as well as the coaching staff), along with the traditional recruiting clout of the program over the past few years, and rank the team accordingly.

Others are thinking more in terms of who has the best opportunity to finish their season unbeaten . Essentially taking schedule into account, and making a prediction as to the chances of each team running the table . This may not necessarily be the "best" team on paper but a good team with a user friendly schedule that gives them a relatively good chance of winning all their games. There is still no guarentee that they get a shot at the BCS title game but it certainly gives them a better chance than most other teams.

By the abstract quality method, a case can be made for about a dozen different teams, possibly more depending on what you believe about relative program strengths. This method is what gives you the "usual suspects" such as Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida State, Miami, Florida, USC; and it means that usually a couple of these teams dissappoint (like Tennessee did last year) when the team simply fails to jell in the manner usually expected of a group from these "power programs".

Using the "predict the entire season using the schedules" method typically favors good teams in conferences where the opponents are relatively "down" by comparison. The current perception of the Big East Conference is a good example . Playing out the schedule indicates West Virginia may very well run the table as they only have a couple of games where they won't be comfortably favored, and even their couple of "tough" games may not actually have them as an underdog. Perhaps Louisville is in a similar situation.

By asking "who is preseason #1", if you mean what team is the "best" on paper, purely as an abstract statement, a good case can be made for several teams, but the most obvious are the talent laden power program units returning the most experience . Texas, for instance, really sticks out in this method. They accomplished a lot last year, the roster returns a bevy of experienced players, and only the QB seems to be a significant question mark.

If the question is actually more about "which team has the best opportunity to finish the season with a shot at the BCS title game", then I might be inclined to say West Virginia. They accomplished a lot last year, return a bunch of experienced players, and have a schedule that gives them a pretty smooth path to a possible undefeated season.

I can always tell when BillyBud is stealing other people's thoughts

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:09 am

Yeofoot wrote:I really liked the opinion you BillyBud wrote, when I read it on ESPN.com:

I can always tell when BillyBud is stealing other people's thoughts

Hey, I've been quoted by him on BlueGoldNews. It's nice when you write stuff worthy of reprinting.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:25 am

darn...the guy I took it from on a site didn't attribute it to ESPN...a double steal LOL...creative borrowing to elucidate a thought that you agree with is fair game. I'll have to rib the poster on the other site...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:28 am

ktffan...stats are stats...and I like yours...they are not to be found anywhere else....in fo0tball discussions, stats are often mused over.

Your stats are unique in that they can not be easily replicated or sourced from another site.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:10 pm

It's funny, whenever people on here that you pick on started picking back, you start kissing KTFfans butt, to make sure you have at least one person having your back. Did daddy not hug you enough? Or did Uncle Joe hug a little too much?

Return to “General Discussion”