Spring Preseason Rankings

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:36 pm

1. Ohio State Buckeyes
OK, so only two defensive starters return. When did Jim Tressel not have a defense? And my, oh, my, that offense.

2006, at least for a few games.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

mountainman

Re: Spring Preseason Rankings

Postby mountainman » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:55 pm

Rich wrote: 3. West Virginia Mountaineers
If you think the Mountaineers peaked in the Sugar Bowl, then you'll dismiss them. But they've shown what they can do. West Virginia's biggest obstacle is ego expansion.

I agree. That can assuredly happen, especially to a young team. Coach Rodriguez's theme this past spring and for the upcoming voluntary summer workout period is, Stay Humble and Stay Hungry.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:02 pm

Cal is not #7......PERIOD. They aren't that good.....
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:18 pm

i think that list will look completely different after the third game
i think wv, oklahoma, and fsu, texas will make it to the end still on the list.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:49 pm

Well Rich...

FSU could probably handle WVU alright...Virginia Tech did and we all know VT isn't yet an FSU level team...

FSU certainly played tough against the Big 10 Champ in the bowl....and FSU's O line will be deeper, healthier...and the D will be ferocious. The offense will be better if spring practice tells you anything.

It is hard to play offense in the ACC....two of FSU's opponents were #1 and #4 in Total Defense....others were #8, #9, #12, #16, #20...

How many teams last year played seven teams with Total Defense ranked in the Top 20? Half of the ACC was ranked Top 25 in Scoring Defense.

FSU is good enough to be ranked Top 10...I think that they haven't "earned" the ranking yet.....

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:26 pm

" 9. Auburn Tigers
I like this team. There's a lot of experience on both sides of the ball and a favorable schedule. But the SEC has too much depth to expect a BCS championship game contender. "

DO MY EYES DECIEVE ME???? :lol:

Rich gave a compliment to the SEC???

I will say that I agree with Eric, in the Cal does not deserve to be in the Top 10.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:40 pm

Derek wrote:" 9. Auburn Tigers
I like this team. There's a lot of experience on both sides of the ball and a favorable schedule. But the SEC has too much depth to expect a BCS championship game contender. "

DO MY EYES DECIEVE ME???? :lol:

Rich gave a compliment to the SEC???

I will say that I agree with Eric, in the Cal does not deserve to be in the Top 10.

Rich had a kid about a year and a half ago, he is softening up. :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:06 pm

I agree on Florida and LSU. Not sure about Tennessee as of yet.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:24 am

Penn State was a senior laden team last year and lost a bunch..including Robinson as QB.

Usually, losing your QB and many of your starters will drop you somewhat..

#1's (starters) lost: from 2005 depth chart

Offense

QB, WR, TE, OG, C, OG, T (almost whole O line)

Defense

DE, DT, DE, CB, CB, Safety, Rover (whole backfield)

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:36 am

I hesitated in calling PSU's QB Morelli "new"....he has thrown 33 career attempts and has a 55% completion rate. But he was Robinsons' back-up for a reason.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:58 am

For many majors (like FSU) "starters" have less meaning because the #2's are just as good and rotate in a lot.

Folks are now saying about FSU, for instance...

"DT Bunkley left as a first round draft pick...he will be tough to replace ".

Well, as the 2005 season started, folks were saying "DT Travis Johnson left as a first round draft pick, somebody needs to pick it up". As the 2004 season started, folks were saying "DT Darnell Dockett went 3rd round in the draft, who'll fill that hole".

After three straight back-ups coming in, picking it up and going to the NFL...I now am less queasy about back-ups.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:42 am

With the big boyz....you have an idea about the back-ups...they have played.

Again..using FSU as an example becasue of my familiarity...

Starting Linebackers last year...FSU lost two

Ernie Simms ( 1st round NFL)...AJ Nicholson (NFL)...Buster Davis (returning

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last years back ups:

Derek Nicholson....played in all 13 games as a true freshman

Lawrence Timmons .....played in all 13 games..in the ACC CG had six solo tackles, 2 sacks...added a sack against Penn State...played in 12 games as a true freshman in 2004.

Jae Thaxton...played in 12 games as a true freshman in 2004...had 3 sacks, 2 blocked punts....medical redshirted 2005 as a true sophomore.

Geno Hayes...played 13 games as a true freshman..13 solo tackles...three solo stops against Penn State...scored a TD against Clemson.

Toddrick Verdell....played safety in junior college...rated the No. 23 overall player in the Junior College Top 100 for 2006 by Rivals.com...totaled 73 tackles, three interceptions, two forced fumbles, and two tackles for loss in 10 games last season...was named a second-team All-American and first-team All-Region by the NJCAA.

Anthony Kelly...The only junior in FSU's 2005 signing class...(redshirted 2005) spent two years at Jones Community College l...totaled 80 tackles, six forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries, three interceptions and nine sacks as a linebacker at Jones last year as a sophomore...earned first team 2004 NJCAA All- America honors and was named the team's defensive MVP as a sophomore...played defensive end as a freshman at Jones and recorded 35 tackles, 10 sacks, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery for a TD...a 2003 honorable mention NJCAA All-American...regarded by most publications as one of the top two junior college linebackers nationally...graduated with AA degree from Jones in December in order to enroll early at Florida State

Rodney Gallon...reserve who played in 9 games last year (primarily special teams)..played in ACC CG and Orange Bowl.

AND MY FAVORITE...HOPE HE GETS IN...

Jeremy Franklin...walk on...five years in US Navy...18 mos in war against Iraq.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:57 am

I call that depth of talent and in my mind it is one of the major factors that separates the elite teams from the good teams and others.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:32 pm

I agree to a point. It depends on how green the new guys are, if they played last year or not. While having the top notch players in the country coming through the ranks all the time is an advantage, these guys need to have some knowledge of the system to be good early. Otherwise you lose a couple of games early and although your good enough by the end of the season, you don't get to play for a championship. You have to have talent, but most need a few games under their belt to make a run.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:42 pm

That's why coaches like Mickey Andrews have their back ups play...look at the number of last year's FSU true freshmen who played...the LB true freshman played 13 games..and in the big ones..CCG and bowl.

Play for today while building tomorrow's team.

Return to “General Discussion”