Northwestern's Sutton

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Northwestern's Sutton

Postby Yeofoot » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:51 pm

Does anyone else think that Sutton kid from Northwestern has the chance of being a Heisman contender one day?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:21 am

I don't think he will get the pub. He is a tough kid with good vision, but he doesn't have the machine necessary to get heavy consideration.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:44 am

He got quite a bit of press as a freshman, although he does play for Northwestern.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:28 pm

Northwestern will have to contend for a Big 10 title for him to have a legit shot by 2008......it's not happening.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:39 pm

I'm rooting for him, because I played against his brother, Tony, who played for Wooster. He was 1st Team All-American D3.

colorado_loves_football

Re: Northwestern's Sutton

Postby colorado_loves_football » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:39 pm

Yeofoot wrote:Does anyone else think that Sutton kid from Northwestern has the chance of being a Heisman contender one day?
Unfortunately, Heisman and Northwestern typically don't belong in the same sentence, however it would appear that a team's success can accompany a Heisman run.
Last year, Paul Smith (Tulsa) was a Heisman trophy candidate. The year Ty Detmer won it, BYU was very good, so it would appear to be at least as much about the team's success as the individual players.
Now, someone needs to explain to me why it's always an offensive player that is given the recognition.
Why don't they give the Heisman to the best overall player, regardless of position? They already have awards specific to position, I think the Heisman trophy should be rewarded to the 'best' overall player.
In other words, any player should be given a shot. Vince Young deserved it last year.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:47 pm

Vince did deserve it, but I can't make a case why Bush didn't deserve it. Offensive players can be so much more influential in a games outcome. Any outstanding defensive player that will change a play, you can keep him out of the play. You can't stop the offense from snapping the ball to the QB.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:56 pm

Yeofoot wrote:Vince did deserve it, but I can't make a case why Bush didn't deserve it.

That pretty much says it all about the Heisman last year.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:40 pm

Spence wrote:
Yeofoot wrote:Vince did deserve it, but I can't make a case why Bush didn't deserve it.

That pretty much says it all about the Heisman last year.
I disagree with the both of you.
We can go on and on about how 'outstanding' Reggie Bush was, and I guess I don't have a problem with that, but the fact remains, when the pressure was on, he choked.
I think Vince Young was solid as ice, in the game against USC.
It didn't come down to one play, as much as some might want to believe.
Texas had to dig deep to win the NC, and did it.
Reggie Bush, for all the Heisman 'hype', didn't get it done.
Vince Young, I believe was a better overall player than Reggie Bush was.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:55 pm

Trust me I totally agree about head to head, VY was a man among boys. I'm just talking about the season that the Heisman voters looked at. They hyped it as VY's performance at A&M and Reggie Bush's performance against Fresno, which that one game Bush did better, but the rest of the season...ah forget about it, I'll just get all riled up.

Return to “General Discussion”