TEAMS MOST LIKELY TO WIN 10 GAMES

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:17 pm

and I think that WVU, the way VT played them, would have had a tough time with FSU, Miami, and Clemson.

I'm not saying FSU was great...the offense was crippled...but the defense, when healthy, made your QB play a hell of a game to beat you.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:23 pm

Does that mean you think that an elephant actually can dangle from a cliff with only it's tail tied to a daisy? (just kidding) :lol:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:31 pm

Yep....if the elephant is WVU clinging to a daisy (actually pansy) schedule hoping that, with an SOS not in the top 60, it will hold up so that the Eers won't be dashed on the rocks of "what might have been".

But...as I have posted, I believe that the daisy, while stretched and torn, will hold and the WVU will go the NC game.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:24 pm

CLF wrote:9-2 isn't a 'bad' year, you're crazy if you think so. I need only 'remind' you that Ohio State fits that definition, themselves. But I forget you put the competitive bar so high that no team is able to 'suit' your standard of excellence, unless they trounce every team, 60-0. Give me a break.

Show me one time where I said that last year was a good year for Ohio State. Ohio State had a championship team last year and laid an egg in Ohio Stadium and then completely spit the bit in Happy Valley. It wasn't a good year.

The competitive bar is high in college football. I didn't set it.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:51 pm

Blackpowdereer wrote:It's hard to do. College presidents change....and attitudes change with them. Look at Uof Cinncinati....new president that doesn't like sports....and she is letting the facilities and infrastructure for both football and basketball go to hell in a handbasket. Even though they are in a rich recruiting area....and one of only two BCS level schools in Ohio and they will still languish because the school admin will hold them back.

Tough to spend that much every year....to stay on top....

Ohio State's current president felt that way about athletics. That is why she is on her way out. Presidents do come and go, but the board remains and they are the people who control what goes on.

Ohio State has not only one of the largest athletics budgets, but they operate in the black. Ohio State athletics pay their own way. The school doesn't support the monetarily at all. To be an "elite" team, one who is in or around the top ten all the time, you have to have success all the time. Success brings fans, fans bring money. No team got to be an elite team without doing it on the field first.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:29 pm

Money is important, but not all important. Most of the top money guys are also the best programs....but absent from the top list are good programs like FSU, Miami, Southern Cal, Tennessee, Oklahoma...

NCAA's Most Profitable Football Programs (In Millions)
Revenue ......Profit
Texas $53.2 .....$38.7
Georgia $50.9... $38.3
Michigan $46.4... $35.7
Alabama $42.9... $28.9
LSU $39.7.......... $27.5
Florida $43.3...... $27.1
Notre Dame $41.8 $26.7
Ohio State $51.8... $26.1
Texas A&M $37.3... $25.2
Auburn $40.6....... $24.2
Source: U.S. Dept. of Education from 2004-05 academic year

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:57 pm

In the immortal words of Chappelles Show:

"I'm rich Beaaa....."

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:56 pm

Billybud, Florida State wasn't as good as Penn State. Northwestern almost beat Penn State and Michigan actually did beat PSU, but that doesn't mean that Northwestern is as good as PSU and that Michigan is better than PSU.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:22 pm

Actually, there were four or five teams that FSU played that played FSU as well as Penn State. IMHO, Penn State really wasn't as good against FSU as Virginia, Clemson, NC State, etc. FSU, playing practically without an offensive line, would have beaten Penn State, except for the continued curse of the kicking god. Most folks who watched the game, knew that it was an even match.

While FSU spotted the PSU offense almost a whole quarter of playing time, the FSU defense hammered Robinson, stuffed runs at the LOS, pulled down screens from behind, and brutalized the Lions offensive line. Even with the PSU offense dominating the clock...FSU only allowed 14 offensive points in regulation (vs 25 for Michigan)....a great defensive showing.

It was not a great FSU team, I grant you...FSU has been beating the Big Ten Big Boys by double digits. So it was a let down.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:16 pm

billybud wrote:FSU vs PSU....the Big Ten Champ and #3 team played heads up with FSU...into triple OT... FSU's kicker's only career PAT miss in 40 plus attempts made the game go to OT....FSU proved "on the field" that day, that they were on a par with the best of the Big Ten and the #3 team.
I was moderately impressed with how FSU played against Penn St, but the fact remains, they lost a game they could easily have won. What exactly did FSU 'prove'? They lost.

BillyBud wrote:FSU vs Virginia.....Hagans had a career day...in the ACC with its great defenses, when a QB is hot, he wins. Virginia was a hot/cold team much like GT...When the QB is playing hot, Virginia beats FSU, Minnesota and the like...when he's not, Virginia loses. Virginia proved on the field, that with a career day by a QB, they can beat a good team.
You shouldn't make excuses for them. I think it's possible the game meant nothing to FSU. Virginia, end of year, wasn't that good.

BillyBud wrote:Like GT...when Reggie is hot, they beat an Auburn and Miami...when he's off, the Jackets slide.
Huh? The defense is what beat Miami.

BillyBud wrote:Clemson proved they are good...Clemson is good...they played three of the best of the ACC....beat one and took two into OT. I have Clemson as one of the best, if not the best, in the ACC this year.
Guess we'll see if you are right.

BillyBud wrote:But really, what it proves is that a team dependent on its defense, missing its defensive stars for three games, pays the price...Bunkley and Wimbley come off injury and sack Vick six times and Robinson 6 times.

FSU vs VT...proved on the field that FSU, with its pass rushers back, was better than #5 VT and as good as #3 Penn State.
I think FSU 'proved' they were the best team in the ACC by beating Virginia Tech. They were nearly handed the game, against Penn St.
Last edited by colorado_loves_football on Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:41 pm

I thought that when Florida State played to their potential (like they did against Penn State) they can hang with the baddest of the big boys, but they did tend to, I don't want to say slack off, but not play their best, and that's when they get burned. They had a smothering defense that could shut down anybody.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:24 pm

I like the list, but like Eric I also think a school like Utah or Boise State could get to double figures in wins. Plus, I think the Pac-10 may have two 10+ win teams this year when all is said and done.

Does anybody think a C-USA or MAC school could get to 10? With a bowl game and conference championship game you could conceivably play 14 games. I think somebody from one of those leagues can make it to 10-4.

Added note: Sorry. I haven't been around for a while and only read the first page of posts and didn't realize how the topic evolved before replying.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:41 pm

Re FSU...a lot of folks don't realize how crippled FSU was last year...the O line was playing injured and very thin, without backup...first teamers were out...12 Noles had surgery before November.

No IA team played more freshmen than FSU's 27. With a freshman QB, a crippled O line, and freshmen playing at linebacker and cornerback...FSU took it to a senior dominated Big Ten Champ.

And...no team played as many tough defenses as FSU last year...I think this is the factor most don't plug in.

FSU played the following 7 teams ranked on TOTAL DEFENSE:

#1...#4...#8...#9....#12...#16...and #20...a defensive "murder's row".

Comparisons:

TCU toughest 7 played....#13...#35...#37....#59...#81...#83...#91

Texas toughest 7......#5...#13...#30...#41...#48...#50...#53

Ohio State's..........#10...#12...#36...#39...#67...#75...#83

SoCal's.................#10...#34...#38...#44...#46...#75...#84

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:51 pm

Jason...I really wasn't thinking of the mid majors....I agree that you could see a few a 10 win seasons. Although, that and a $1.50 may buy a cup of coffee but not necessarily a BCS apearance.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:44 pm

billybud wrote:Money is important, but not all important. Most of the top money guys are also the best programs....but absent from the top list are good programs like FSU, Miami, Southern Cal, Tennessee, Oklahoma...

NCAA's Most Profitable Football Programs (In Millions)
Revenue ......Profit
Texas $53.2 .....$38.7
Georgia $50.9... $38.3
Michigan $46.4... $35.7
Alabama $42.9... $28.9
LSU $39.7.......... $27.5
Florida $43.3...... $27.1
Notre Dame $41.8 $26.7
Ohio State $51.8... $26.1
Texas A&M $37.3... $25.2
Auburn $40.6....... $24.2
Source: U.S. Dept. of Education from 2004-05 academic year

I've posted an article similar to this, showing GA being the most "effcient" in terms of ratio of revenue to profit.

Texas, GA, and Ohio State must make a ton of their money from Merchandise.

And Texas has undoubtedly recieved a boost from just winning the NC. Their first in many years.

It is all about the money in terms of college football. 8)
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”