Big East

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:01 pm

Weeelll...that story from Blue and Gold is premium.....you do have to pay to see it.

But thanks..I understand the rules...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:26 pm

The Story from Blue and Gold should be removed then. We can't check everything out. That is why we need to rely on you guys following the rules on those things. So we don't have to forbid all copy and paste stuff. No harm done, but that is why some stuff that probably shouldn't make it does sometimes. :)
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:31 pm

Let me make something perfectly clear.

For the record, just in case anyone might be thinking that I would remove a post by billybud and not from anyone else, including Blackpowereer, the information I had from Matt addressing linking was about his concerns about the risk the forum could be exposed to by copying and pasting specifically ASSOCIATED PRESS stuff.

The evidence about what I am saying is documented somewhere in this forum or maybe on the old forum. I would be surprised in some of the members with some longevity do not remember when those concerns were expressed by Matt.

Any other thoughts or innuendo about my actions being anything other than to perform my duties as a moderator for this forum as I agreed to do are wrong and unsubstantiated.

If anyone has any questions about this feel free to PM me and we'll discuss it, or if anyone prefers to make it a matter for public consumption by even hinting that I demonstrated a prejudice or bias we can slug it out right here.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:33 pm

BlackpowderEER wrote:The cut and paste is removed. However....I asked the author Matt Keller and he said it was cool with him. But I don't want to get into a pissing contest with billybud.

And ain't it nice that the "little guys" still have hope?? 5th?? LOL LOL

If you have permission to use something, you may use it. This has nothing to do with us, it has to do with infringing on someone's copyright. If you get permission then you aren't infringing on anyone's copyright.

If you do post something listed as premium I would like you to list is "printed with permission" so that we know that you asked and recieved permission.

I honestly wouldn't care if you copy and pasted War and Peace(athough Matt might have something to say about that. :lol: But it isn't worth getting sued over. That is the only reason anyone cares.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:08 pm

Spence wrote:If you have permission to use something, you may use it. This has nothing to do with us, it has to do with infringing on someone's copyright. If you get permission then you aren't infringing on anyone's copyright.

If you do post something listed as premium I would like you to list is "printed with permission" so that we know that you asked and recieved permission.

I honestly wouldn't care if you copy and pasted War and Peace(athough Matt might have something to say about that. :lol: But it isn't worth getting sued over. That is the only reason anyone cares.
I'm not familiar with the copyright laws, myself. I know this is a public board, and we all have a responsibility (a duty actually) to keep it clean.
I noticed in another post, someone crossed the line (powderkeg?).
Anyway, it escalated, and pretty much lead to a knock-down, drag-out.
This is the kind of stuff I think we should all work to avoid.
I made reference to how (generally speaking) we were all to be congratulated for having more 'class' then was immediately taken to task for it, like I had no 'right' whatsoever to make that sort of assement, or something to that effect.
Billybud, if you have issue with me, just say so. That goes for anyone else here, too. I never said I was 'expert' in fact, went as far to call myself a 'novice' which I am, in regards to this board.
That being said, I don't feel need to 'compliment' anyone without reason.
Or state my objections when necessary.
In another post, related to TCU I stood up for what I considered to be a joke made in poor taste. Maybe I overstepped my bounds in doing so, but I think it made us all reflect a little about what 'might' be offensive.
Equipment manager isn't the most critical job for an athletics program.
But to single that out, as basis for ridicule, I thought was inappropriate.
I won't take it any farther than that, and I hope nobody else does, either.
Sure, it's funny, but when ti's also a slant on TCU I take offense, justified or not.
Now, I think we are all adjusting to learning what is appropriate and what isn't. Yeofoot keeps referring to Brokeback mountain, something I find humorous, but Mountainman might not. But I can't speak for him.
So, what might be in 'poor taste' another might find hilarious.
With that in mind I apologize to you Matt, for any offense I might have incurred. I would just like all of us to be a little more 'adult' in how we choose to 'voice' our opinions here. If it wasn't made in 'poor taste' then I shouldn't have taken it that way. But, yes I am sensitive, as far as TCU goes.
The other stuff, I think we have to consider how those 'links' work. I'm not sure they aren't copyrighted, too, which means we probably need to get permission of some sort before posting them. But I"m not a lawyer.
Not everything is 'public' domain, that's all I know for sure. I'd like to know what is ok and what isn't before I start posting links.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:47 pm

Since I have not chimed in yet....I will. :D

I think the AP is a joke, both with their popularity poll and their political reporting.

Good riddance to them in the BCS.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:56 pm

Agreed.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:26 pm

colorado_loves_football wrote:
In another post, related to TCU I stood up for what I considered to be a joke made in poor taste. Maybe I overstepped my bounds in doing so, but I think it made us all reflect a little about what 'might' be offensive.
Equipment manager isn't the most critical job for an athletics program.
But to single that out, as basis for ridicule, I thought was inappropriate.
I won't take it any farther than that, and I hope nobody else does, either.
Sure, it's funny, but when ti's also a slant on TCU I take offense, justified or not.

This is over so lets let it go.

Now, I think we are all adjusting to learning what is appropriate and what isn't. Yeofoot keeps referring to Brokeback mountain, something I find humorous, but Mountainman might not. But I can't speak for him.
So, what might be in 'poor taste' another might find hilarious.

Mountainman wasn't offended because he knew it was a joke. I am pretty sure most everybody knew it was a joke.

The other stuff, I think we have to consider how those 'links' work. I'm not sure they aren't copyrighted, too, which means we probably need to get permission of some sort before posting them. But I"m not a lawyer.
Not everything is 'public' domain, that's all I know for sure. I'd like to know what is ok and what isn't before I start posting links.

Links are public domain. People have sites so that other people will visit them. It is the whole reason they are there in the first place.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:55 pm

You and I disagree on most things about this conference, bar3cat5. I think West Virginia, in reality, won't "disappoint", but according to fans they will. I predict that they only get one loss this year to Louisville, which should earn them a spot in the BCS.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:19 pm

I don't think WVU will lose to Louisvile. They will be ready for that game. I think if they lose it will be one of those "oops" loses to someone they aren't paying attention to. Being ranked in the top 5 preseaon puts a lot of pressure on a team. WVU will be favored in everyone of their games. That puts a big target on your back. Everyone will be wanting to knock them off. They will have to play really well in every game. This will be a hardest year Coach Rodriguez has ever coached. It could also be the most fun.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:49 pm

Amen.

And with what is still a young team, his problems are just going to be more difficult.

The expectations are already high and the hype is everywhere, but remember that Pat White and Steve Salton are sophomores who didn't start until the halfway point of last season and that 4 starting defensive backs and the nose tackle were lost to graduation. And that the passing game was limited last season.

How well the Mountaineers handle the expectations and hype along with the young guys showing maturity, replacing the spots on the defense and developing and executing the passing game will be the keys. IMHO.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:57 pm

mountainman wrote:
How well the Mountaineers handle the expectations and hype along with the young guys showing maturity, replacing the spots on the defense and developing and executing the passing game will be the keys. IMHO.

Exactly.

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:50 am

I don't think that West Virginia will finish last (Syracuse!) but they'll finish down there. They ranked 115th in passing offense, behind Navy. I think we'll see some improvement for the Mountianeers, at least better than Syracuse in the passing game.

West Virginia still managed to be 50th in total offense and they got an offensive boost when Pat White became the starter. Expect that to be much higher this season. I think if the Mountaineers did fine without much help from the passing game last year, what's holding them back from making the BCS?

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:06 pm

The Mountaineers and Louisville will probably slug it out for the top spot ..... their November 2nd game will probably tell the tale.

Pitt and Rutgers could make some noise ..... Pitt has to have better line play on both sides of the ball (had a really good recruiting class this past season), while Rutgers has a couple of stud running backs that can give folks fits. We'll know early (Sept. 2nd) when Pitt takes on Virginia while Rutgers has a date with North Carolina.

As a conference though, I suspect the Big East is still a year away from being able to match up, so to speak, with the other BCS conferences top to bottom.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:34 am

I agree. I was watching a re-run of Ohio and Pitt on ESPNU (I know, there's nothing to do, but it's fun nonetheless), and they were about 30+ pounds heavier on average than the Ohio lines and they were having their hands full. I don't think Pitt is short on running backs, they're just short on blockers.

Return to “General Discussion”