MAC Attack: 2006

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:44 am

I certainly hope that Akron wasn't a "one-time wonder".

Actually the Zips really didn't show me that they were that great of a team last year overall although in certain games they showed that they could really play. They were inconsistent from week to week to say the least.

The loss to Ball State had to be their low point last season, closely followed by not even being competitive in both the Miami and Army games. Then again they beat NIU twice and won at Bowling Green. The pieces just fell right for Akron to make the championship game with everything else that happened in the league. Also, I think it is important to mention that Toledo didn't appear on the Akron schedule last year.

All that being said, my gut feeling is that Akron will actually have a better team this upcoming season than they did last year but that it may not show up that way in terms of wins and losses because of how the schedule shakes out this fall compared to last. Three road games against BCS teams, a revenge-minded Bowling Green squad, a Miami team that always seems to have the Zips' number, and a game at Toledo may not bode well for the Zips quest to return to the postseason but I don't think that necessarily classifies them as a one-time wonder either.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:42 am

It just means they want to play a tough schedule. That is how you get noticed.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:47 am

Call me stupid...But I like the name "Zips".

What's the mascot??
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:02 pm

The mascot is Zippy the Kangaroo. This certainly isn't the most intimidating mascot you'll ever see. I think when Zippy was created they were going more for the "kid friendly" type of mascot.

http://gozips.collegesports.com/trads/akoh-zippy-facts.html

Note: The site above was last updated in 2000 or 2001 so some of the info about things that have happened in the "past few years" do not correspond to the current times. The picture of Zippy, however, is accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Last edited by Jason G on Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:07 pm

Yeah, well Brutus isn't the most intimidating thing either. At least we don't have a weasel for a mascot (that was a shot Eric. :lol: )

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:09 pm

Great point! and I'll back up your shot! :D

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:32 pm

Don't feel any embarrassment, Jason G. 8)

The women's libbers got in on the act in Morgantown and we had a 'Mountaineeress" one season. Gotta' say though ... she filled out those buckskins pretty dag-gum good. The strap on the cartridge satchel slung over her left shoulder and across her chest and back so the satchel would rest on her right hip fit perfectly between her ...... well, you know. :lol:

By the way, the two most famous mascots of all time were the San Diego Chicken and the Philly Fanatic. I don't think those guys intimated anyone. :lol:

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:03 am

mountainman wrote:Don't feel any embarrassment, Jason G. 8)

The women's libbers got in on the act in Morgantown and we had a 'Mountaineeress" one season. Gotta' say though ... she filled out those buckskins pretty dag-gum good. The strap on the cartridge satchel slung over her left shoulder and across her chest and back so the satchel would rest on her right hip fit perfectly between her ...... well, you know. :lol:

By the way, the two most famous mascots of all time were the San Diego Chicken and the Philly Fanatic. I don't think those guys intimated anyone. :lol:

Yes. I'll give the San Diego chicken that honor. I would give anything to do it, just because no one can see you and you can make an idiot of yourself and not feel embaressed.

One of my favorite as a child was "Chief Knock-a-homa" of the Braves.

Women's lib infuriates me Mountainman....It's good someone came to their senses and dumped it!! :D
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:07 am

Derek wrote:
Women's lib infuriates me Mountainman....It's good someone came to their senses and dumped it!! :D

I don't know, as MM described her, I don't think I would object.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:22 am

I guess I'm a little old fashion, but I believe the Mountaineer should be a guy. 8)

So I'm not necessarily against a gal being the Mountaineer for the same reasons you are Derek, but ....... there is something a little bit scary about a long legged, tight waisted, big busted gal dressed up in buckskins and carrying around a 58 caliber long rifle. :shock:

I mean with that PMS stuff and all, if someone shouted something meant to be a compliment and she took it the wrong way .... with one shot she could change a rooster into a hen. :o :shock: :o

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:29 am

mountainman wrote:I guess I'm a little old fashion, but I believe the Mountaineer should be a guy. 8)

So I'm not necessarily against a gal being the Mountaineer for the same reasons you are Derek, but ....... there is something a little bit scary about a long legged, tight waisted, big busted gal dressed up in buckskins and carrying around a 58 caliber long rifle. :shock:

I mean with that PMS stuff and all, if someone shouted something meant to be a compliment and she took it the wrong way .... with one shot she could change a rooster into a hen. :o :shock: :o

I agree, but for every good Mountaineer there should be a Mountaineeress. She may have a rifle, but sometime you just have to take a chance. :wink:

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:28 am

Well, I guess it had to happen sooner or later ...... I see in this mornings paper where we've had an incident of "Mascot Gone Bad". :o

Benny the Bull, mascot for the Chicago Bulls, while dressed in his bright red costume was charged with attacking an off-duty police officer after driving a mini-motorcycle through an outdoor festival. :shock:

"Benny" is accused of throwing a punch at a sheriff's deputy while riding his motorcycle without a permit. :(

I wonder if the officer tried to flag ole Benny down with a red cape or something while shouting "OLE"? :lol:

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:12 am

Spence wrote:
mountainman wrote:I guess I'm a little old fashion, but I believe the Mountaineer should be a guy. 8)

I agree, but for every good Mountaineer there should be a Mountaineeress. She may have a rifle, but sometime you just have to take a chance. :wink:

Well, here's a sample of what can happen when a Mountaineer and a Mountaineeress, with a 58 caliber long rifle, do get together.

"A Mountaineer and Mountaineeress had only been married for two weeks. The Mountaineer, although very much in love, couldn't wait to go out on the town and party with his old buddies. So, he said to his new wife. "Honey, I'll be right back."

"Where are you going, Coochy Coo?" Asked the wife.

"I'm going to the bar, Pretty Face. I'm gong to have a beer."

The wife said, "You want a beer, my love?" She opened the door to the refrigerator and showed him 25 different kinds of beer, brands from 12 different countries.

The Mountaineer didn't know what to do, and the only thing that he could think of saying was, "Yes, Lollipop ... but at the bar ... you know ... they have frozen glasses ... "

He didn't get to finish the sentence, because the wife interrupted him by saying, "You want frozen glasses, Puppy Face?" She took a huge beer mug out of the freezer, so frozen that she was getting chills just holding it.

The Mountaineer, looking a bit pale, said, "Yes, Tootsie Roll, but at the bar they have those hors d'oeuvres that are really delicious ... I won't be long. I'll be right back. I promise. O.K.?"

"You want hors d'oeuvres, Poochie Pooh?" She opened the oven and took out 5 dishes of different hors d'oeuvres: chicken wings, pigs in a blanket, mushroom caps, and pork strips.

"But my sweet honey ... at the bar ... you know there's swearing, dirty words and all that ..."

"You want dirty works, Cutie Pie?" (edit out of respect for the forum) ... "LISTEN UP CHICKEN POOP, SIT YOUR BUTT DOWN, SHUT THE DEVIL UP, DRINK YOUR BEER IN YOUR FROZEN MUG AND EAT YOUR HOR D'OEUVRES BECAUSE YOUR MARRIED HIND-END ISN'T GOING TO A DAG-GUM BAR! THAT CRAP IS OVER, GOT IT BULLETHEAD?"

.....and, they lived happily ever after.

:lol: *********** :D ********** :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:14 pm

He went about it the wrong way. The bar has all you buddies. If she wanted to invite them over every night from 5:00 to 8:00, that would be a different matter.

My wife used to give me a hard time about those sorts of things, she found out I didn't stay quite so long when I didn't get a hard time about it. 8)

Return to “General Discussion”