Good Article .....

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
mountainman

Good Article .....

Postby mountainman » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:25 pm

...... with the coordinator of the BCS, Mike Slive. I believe he communicates the perspective of of the BCS Committee, as directed by the college and university presidents quite clearly (highlighted in blue):

A slice of Slive: Juggling SEC, BCS duties
By RON HIGGINS, Commercial Appeal
July 2, 2006

SEC commissioner Mike Slive began serving his two-year term in January as coordinator of the controversial Bowl Championship Series. Already, Slive is discovering the job is even more visible nationally than being the commissioner of one of the nation's best overall college conferences.

Q: Do you view the BCS differently as the commissioner of the SEC, a BCS conference, than you did when you were commissioner of Conference USA, a non-BCS conference?

A: "That's a heckuva question. I guess there's a difference between an emerging conference and a conference about to celebrate its 75th anniversary. I've tried to work in the best interest of the conference I've been in at the time."

Q: By adding basically one more BCS bowl game, did the BCS really do anything in the off-season other than window dressing?

A: "What we did was we added a fifth bowl and created a different format with the four bowls and the national championship rotating sites. We expanded the at-large eligibility from 12 teams to 14 teams to account for the additional two slots from eight teams to 10 teams. With the Harris Poll in place, with the coaches' poll in place, with the computers place, we've got peace in the valley."

Q: Is the next step dealing with teams who have ineligible players (like former Southern Cal's Reggie Bush allegedly being ineligible because of alleged NCAA rules violations)?

A: "The BCS is not designed to deal with issues of that nature. But we will talk about in it in our meeting this month."

Q: How much different has it been for you being the grand poohba of the BCS?

A: "I do more media interviews than before. Part of the work is to make sure the BCS runs smoothly and the game operation of the bowls. But also felt these couple of years for me is an opportunity to think about the future of college football, what's in the best interest for college football.

"I'm not married to any particular (postseason) format. I've always been open-minded. The four bowls and revolving the title game is what we're going to try for the next four years. We'll see how it works and it will rise and fall on its own merits. Will there be other ways of doing it? You have to think about three grounding principles no matter what you decide.

"One is that college football is part of higher education, part of the academic mission. Therefore, whatever happens in post-season that will be an integral piece of it.

"Secondly, we have the best regular season of any sport. We drew 5.8 million people to SEC games last year and filled out stadiums to 97 1/2 percent capacity and averaged more than 74,000 people. We want to keep that regular-season value.

"Thirdly, we've had a bowl tradition for 75 to 100 years. We have eight bowl opportunities in our league, meaning two-thirds of our teams can go to bowls. That's important to us.

"So whatever the issues are, I want to talk to athletic directors, coaches, the media and we'll see how it works the next few years. I can't think about the future without thinking about Auburn two years ago (the Tigers went unbeaten and got shut out of the national championship game)."

Q: Is it a tough gig being BCS coordinator?

A: "I'll characterize it this way. Bobby Gaston, who's retiring as our supervisor of football officials in the SEC, has always wanted the NCAA to allow officials to announce the number of a player who committed a penalty. He said in hockey, they not only announce who committed the penalty, they put him in a box and stare at him for two minutes. In this (BCS) job, this is my two years in the box."

Q: You've got a women's basketball coach (Tennessee's Pat Summitt) now making more than $1 million a year. Did you think you'd ever see that?

A: "We've seen that on the men's side. She (Summitt) is one of the best coaches who ever coached the game, men or women."

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:38 pm

I hope the BCS does everything right from here on out. I'm really in support of this, because a playoff would do just that; devalue the regular season.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:06 am

GREAT interview.....He's right about college being about an education first and foremost.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:13 am

Mountainman wrote:Q: How much different has it been for you being the grand poohba of the BCS?

A: "I do more media interviews than before. Part of the work is to make sure the BCS runs smoothly and the game operation of the bowls. But also felt these couple of years for me is an opportunity to think about the future of college football, what's in the best interest for college football.

"I'm not married to any particular (postseason) format. I've always been open-minded. The four bowls and revolving the title game is what we're going to try for the next four years. We'll see how it works and it will rise and fall on its own merits. Will there be other ways of doing it? You have to think about three grounding principles no matter what you decide.

"One is that college football is part of higher education, part of the academic mission. Therefore, whatever happens in post-season that will be an integral piece of it.

"Secondly, we have the best regular season of any sport. We drew 5.8 million people to SEC games last year and filled out stadiums to 97 1/2 percent capacity and averaged more than 74,000 people. We want to keep that regular-season value.

"Thirdly, we've had a bowl tradition for 75 to 100 years. We have eight bowl opportunities in our league, meaning two-thirds of our teams can go to bowls. That's important to us.

In other words.............."Playoffs......There ain't going to be no stinkin' playoffs"
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:21 pm

So...now we know what the "ME" in MECU stands for.

My sisters husband is a CU grad....after flying A6's for the Navy, he got a masters in aeronautical engineering and is a project director at Lockheed Martin.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:11 pm

MECU wrote:
Derek wrote:GREAT interview.....He's right about college being about an education first and foremost.

Maybe for all the students (including student-athletes) that don't have a chance to play professional sports. I went to school and the same classes as Donald Strickland who got drafted and now plays in the NFL. I was even on the same freshman project team as him. Academics were the least of his priorities. I wouldn't trust him with any mechanical engineering task as much as any NFL team would trust me with playing football for them.
I agree with you, 100% on this one.
Whoever this guy is, he better go into it with an open-mind, the last thing the BCS needs is somebody who won't 'compromise'.
I'm not sure how the 'pool' has necessarily become 'larger', that doesn't make whole lot of sense to me (does it make sense to anyone else?).
There are EXACTLY ten teams that will be selected for the BCS, and I had assumed they would be drawn from a 'pool' of twelve, since top-12 was supposed to be the 'standard' being applied.
So, where 14 comes into play, is anyone's guess?
I thought they'd have a hard time fitting ten teams into it from a pool of 12, much less 14. All that other mumbo-jumbo I didn't really follow.
Sure, they are going to 'promote' academics, but the BCS is all about athletics, or should be.
BCS coordinator likely isn't a coveted position, at any rate, if past years are a true reflection. Where exactly did he refer to a playoff?
That's why ABC 'dropped' the BCS, but I heard they still retained rights to the Rose Bowl. Tell me that doesn't stir up some controversy, it does.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:23 pm

I just hope the BCS keeps the unofficial B12 rule, which of course states that no matter who else deserves it, a Big 12 team gets first consideration for the National Championship game. hehehe

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:42 pm

Yeofoot wrote:I just hope the BCS keeps the unofficial B12 rule, which of course states that no matter who else deserves it, a Big 12 team gets first consideration for the National Championship game. hehehe
:twisted:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:03 pm

No wonder the SEC & PAC-10 guys love you Big XII guys so much. :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”