Pointless Offseason Topic:

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:29 pm

I like the kind of offense where everyone in the world knows what is coming next and they do it anyway. The kind where you have to pick grass out of your facemask, and the kind where you can see feel how hard the hitting is by the scuff marks on the helmet.

I just think the spread makes organized football look like sandlot football.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:06 am

I'm gonna' tell Coach Tressel what you said. :twisted:

Seriously though, I know what you mean. When Coach Nehlen was at West Virginia it was the I-formation and the isolation play. Hugh offensive linemen and a fullback, excuse me, that's up-back, that was the size of a guard, knocking the dickens out of a linebacker or end. Then Coach Nehlen retires and along comes Coach Rodriguez, and that first year my head was like it was on a swivel trying to keep up. Then, to beat it all, when it was fourth down and time to punt, and what do they do? That rugby punt thing ...... I remember thinking, 'What in the world have we done?'

I must say though, my perspective has changed.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:11 am

I don't blame the coach for running an offense the best suits a team. I just would rather see a different game. I like Quarterbacks like Joe Montana(I know, Notre Dame), who would run, but he was more of a general then a sargent major.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:47 am

Spence wrote:I like the kind of offense where everyone in the world knows what is coming next and they do it anyway.

There is nothing more demoralizing to an opposing team than when this begins to happen. Game's over. :wink:

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:44 pm

The game has 'opened up' considerably ...., but a good team still needs to be able to line up, go nose to nose and get those tough yards exactly the way Spence is talking about.

A couple of occasions that come to mind .... ball possession scenarios, such as clock management, and in red zone scenarios, such as when the defense has a short file to defend, and you need to score a TD and not settle for a field goal.

To me anyway, a team better be able to do it if they expect to win the "Big Game", because I assure you that the good teams will get a team in the circumstance where you must do it .... if you're going to win.

The Mountaineers experienced just that in the Sugar Bowl last season .... there was a little over 5 minutes left on the clock (i think it was 5:13) when our final drive started ....... it took a fake punt (and Georgia to fall asleep at the switch) to ice that win. Who knows what might have happened if Shockley and company had got the ball back.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:46 pm

Looked like VT did a pretty decent job on defense against the Eers...

23 first downs VT.....11 first downs WVU

The killer was 3rd down effeciency 67% for VT and 46% for WVU . VT was able to drive longer and eat the clock...37.21 time of possession vs VT's 22.39

Slaton's stats look real good when you first look at them (90 yards on 11 attempts)...but he made half his yardage in one 44 yard play.

White was clearly more of a threat than Bednarik...White rushed 11 times, Benarik, 3. White also threw almost four times as many passes as Bednarik...I couldn't find a split on playing time.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:49 pm

LOL...Blackpowder...Gwaltney is exactly why I don't think that RR needs to go after WW....both were gifted...I'm afraid they cause as much damage to the team as they help.

Believe it or not, I don't remember the WVU/VT game...I wonder if it was on an FSU home game weekend...I miss a lot of games on home game dates, especially if its an afternoon game.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:32 pm

Blackpowdereer wrote:Sorry, that old style in your face football is boring. I like some variety.

I like defensive football. I'm not talking just 3 yards and a cloud of dust football. I am talking about running a pro set. Using the run to set up the pass. Making a quarterback be a quarterback. If the want two backs in then play the "Wing T". If they want to blast one then play the "I". I didn't like the option and I don't like the spread.

I like fooball where to teams line up and the last one standing wins. Games with clean, but hard hitting. There are teams who still play that way. Florida State does, Miami did. Michigan does. The spread crap isn't exciting to me. I hate that Ohio State didn't have a TB that would allow them to run a pro style offense. Troy Smith can throw the ball, he isn't a prototype pocket QB, but he can toss it around a little.

The problem with relying so much on one guy, like the spread does, is asking for trouble. The QB goes down and who is going to carry the load? The spread is an effective offense against an agressive defense, but it can be easily shut down if the defense has sticks to their assignments. You play it the same as you do the option. Stay back, shut down the run and make the QB beat you with his arm. If you have fast linebackers to shut down the lateral runs and a D-line that can get pressure on the QB without help, the spread is done.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:13 pm

I understand RR is doing what he has to do at the moment. I wouldn't fault any coach for playing to his teams strength. RR is a very good coach in my book, but I would have to believe given the choice he would like to be able to play a multiple pro set, instead of running the spread as his base offense. Give him a few years at the top of the B-East and he will start being able to recruit some of those five star guys.

I would recruit speed at every position also, as long as you don't give football talent to get it. I'm talking about looking for a Joe Montana type. Montana could run if he had to, but he made his money spreading the ball around. Elway was the same way.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:22 pm

The spread lets you be better without as many great athletes...a great QB and a few good WR's and you can hang with teams who have deeper talent..

When Randy Moss was at Marshall, the combination of a great WR and a good QB meant that Marshall could play with people.

Duante Culpepper, at UCF, was without a supporting cast, enough to give Nebraska (in its hey day) fits.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:13 pm

billybud wrote:The spread lets you be better without as many great athletes...a great QB and a few good WR's and you can hang with teams who have deeper talent..

When Randy Moss was at Marshall, the combination of a great WR and a good QB meant that Marshall could play with people.

Duante Culpepper, at UCF, was without a supporting cast, enough to give Nebraska (in its hey day) fits.

I agree with that also, it just isn't the kind of football I like. No question that it can work, especially against a really agressive defense. It just isn't exciting football to me. My idea of an exciting football game was the Orange Bowl last year. That was a real headbanders ball. I can't figue for the life of me how people can say that is boring football. Games like that one are what football is all about.

Return to “General Discussion”