Phil Steele's Preseaon Power Poll 2006..Top 25

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:46 pm

Depends on how you define "best"..1. strongest team, 2. team most likely to be undefeated..

I think that, this year, there is no clear cut number one but about a double handful of contenders..

MOST LIKELY TO GO UNDEFEATED..

WVU, Louisville...

WVU will be double score favorites in all but one game. Louisville has two games that will be close in terms of team strength.

STRONGEST TEAMS

Not in any order...

Texas, Ohio State, Miami, FSU, Clemson, South Cal, WVU, Louisville, Michigan, Auburn, LSU, etc..

DISADVANTAGED FOR NC RUN...

Ohio State...schedule
Oklahoma...QB
FSU.............schedule, CCG
Texas.........CCG
Clemson.....schedule, CCG
Auburn, LSU...schedule, CCG
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:11 pm

mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:Ohio State may very well develop into a great team this year. The talent is there, but they aren't the best team going into the season.

Well that certainly begs the question of who do you believe is "the best team going into the season."

Texas or LSU. I am still batting it around, but I'll probably end up with Texas.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:21 pm

Week two won't be enough for Ohio State in my poll, I have them at six right now.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind that Ohio State is #1 in the coaches. I just believe they have too many questions on defense that need answered. Five weeks into the season if Ohio State has really done well, I'll be the first one to toot their horn. Not now though.

I believe to win the National Championship you must have a solid defense. You can have a questionable offense and win if you have a good defense. If you have a great offense and a questionable defense, sooner or later someone will shut you down.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re:

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:06 pm

This is what I'm talking about.

"They beat the #2 team in the country (end of 2004)."

Right there is your flaw.

So what?!

Had TCU beat Oklahoma in 2004 , then your argument would be up-standing.

But, your argument is, that TCU, in 2005, beat Oklahoma.

19 different starters. 24 replaced lettermen.

Oklahoma was a whole new team in 2005.

The fact that Oklahoma went on to lose 3 more games after the TCU loss should tell that.

TCU is not going to get credit for beating the Sooner team that went to, 2 consecutive, Natinal title games, because that is not the team TCU played.

Then, you want us to give TCU credit for beating the Sooners in Norman.

Fine, they did that. Good for them.

But, to turn right around and lose to SMU on your home field the very next week.

This is where I stop being impressed.

Now, stop retranslating my post to your back-__swards bent logic, and read it as it is written.

Facts...

Plain and Simple
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re:

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:19 pm

"LSU or Texas I'm still battling it around"

LSU, Spence

Texas has to re-adjust to a throwing game.

They do have some phenom running backs. But, the mobility and awareness of Vince Young is gone (along with his calm demeanor, and intimidating presence).

LSU only has to polish up on what we already know works.
Last edited by Cane from the Bend on Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:20 pm

Last year I thought Texas could beat anyone anywhere. This season, I don't have that much confidence to say that. But I think how their schedule is set up will really help them achieve another national championship. They have North Texas first, which will pretty much be the QB tryout to see who starts against Ohio State. Last year, those QB's would be peeing in their freshman britches watching the THREE. This year, the OSU defense will still be working out their kinks, and won't be going flank speed yet. I'm confident Texas will win by more than 10, I'd be nervous if it's close in the 4th.

Before OU, they have Rice, so pretty much just prepping for that game. Any other game they will be seriously upset if they lose.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re:

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:28 pm

Texas lost a couple of stellar defensive players to the draft, also.

However, should Texas win-out, and take the National crown again this year.

Then we couldbe looking at a "Legitimate" 3-peat possibility.

Because, the 2007 Longhorn team looks promissing.
Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re:

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:30 pm

I personly am thinking Ohio State #8.

Spence, would you say that's fair?
Last edited by Cane from the Bend on Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re:

Postby Spence » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:32 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:"LSU or Texas I'm still battling it around"

LSU, Spence

Texas has to re-adjust to a throwing game.

They do have some phenom running backs. But, the mobility and awareness of Vince Young is gone (along with his calm demeanor, and intimidating presence).

LSU only has to polish up on what we already know works.

Texas still has a defense. They are probably a little better most positions on offense. I don't know where I will end up, besides my group has a say in this as well. We are pretty close on our picks, we just have to get the order worked out.

colorado_loves_football

Re:

Postby colorado_loves_football » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:37 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:This is what I'm talking about.

"They beat the #2 team in the country (end of 2004)."

Right there is your flaw.

So what?!
Oklahoma finished the year, behind USC (national champions, Auburn, and Utah). Either way, they were assuredly 'very good' when TCU played them.

Cane from the Bend wrote:Had TCU beat Oklahoma in 2004 , then your argument would be up-standing.

But, your argument is, that TCU, in 2005, beat Oklahoma.

19 different starters. 24 replaced lettermen.

Oklahoma was a whole new team in 2005.
You aren't going to convince me that somehow TCU played a 'weak' Oklahoma team. Try that approach on someone who doesn't know any better.

Cane from the Bend wrote:The fact that Oklahoma went on to lose 3 more games after the TCU loss should tell that.

TCU is not going to get credit for beating the Sooner team that went to, 2 consecutive, Natinal title games, because that is not the team TCU played.

Then, you want us to give TCU credit for beating the Sooners in Norman.

Fine, they did that. Good for them.

But, to turn right around and lose to SMU on your home field the very next week.

This is where I stop being impressed.
They lost to SMU in Dallas, TX, that's SMU's home field, by the way.

I'm not asking you to be 'impressed' I'm asking you to be 'objective' which assuredly you are not.

Cane from the Bend wrote:Now, stop retranslating my post to your back-__swards bent logic, and read it as it is written.

Facts...

Plain and Simple
I make my own 'interpretation' of the so-called 'facts' you present, and present them as fairly as I can. Suffice to say, I've found a lot of 'flaws' in the logic you apply, but you aren't alone.
Last edited by colorado_loves_football on Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:00 pm

hee hee...just nod politely as you would when listening to an Iranian taxi driver who gaily chats in indecipherable english as he whizzes you to the airport.

It doesn't matter, like with the Iranian taxi driver, the conversation is doomed from the start.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re:

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:38 pm

I never eluded to Oklahoma being a weak team.

Those are your words, not mine.

Another fine example of how you read what you want, and not what is typed.

I've written it before, and I'll write it again...

Stop adlibbing my (or any/everyone else's) posts.

You are aguing what we are not saying. That is called manipulation. And that is why people are fed up with you, not taking you seriously, and why your arguments are invalid/inaccurate/irrelevant.

FACT #1

I wrote that Oklahoma was a different team last season than they were during their 2003 & 2004 national championship runs.

And they were.

So, no, TCU does not get the credit for beating a team that appeared in the National title game, because they didn't play that team.

FACT #2

TCU got the respect they deserved, and were immediately ranked #22 after beating Oklahoma...

Then followed up that victory with a loss to SMU who finished with a losing record, in a mdiocre conference no less.

FACT #3

TCU only played 3 teams with winning records on last years schedule.

Oklahoma 8-4
Utah 7-5
New Mexico 6-5

FACT #4

Your incesant whining on how we should give TCU more credit than we are giving them, is more than obvious an attempt to impress us of TCU, by showing us their accoplishments from last season.

No way to sugar coat it. That is what you are "infact" doing.

These are the "facts" you are refuting.

This is why you are "infact" wrong, and not by opinion, but by "FACTS"!

You can bring along all of your played out input, but, in the end...

"You are factually wrong, and overflowing with bias".

And you continue to prove it, everytime you post a reply.
Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re:

Postby Spence » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:52 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:I personly am thinking Ohio State #8.

Spence, would you say that's fair?

I have them at 6 on my list (not the group list), but yeah 8 is fair. They have too much talent to be overlooked completely because of the unknown defense, on paper they can be good. So can a lot of teams though, on paper.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:57 pm

I've got them at 7; sounds fair enough.

When are the polls going to be up and running? I'm anxious to get started!
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:02 pm

You can start working with your groups right now. I have been working with mine for a while. I will make a post on the voters forum about it. Sorry I didn't know that everyone was waiting for a starting whistle. :oops:

Return to “General Discussion”