OU's starting QB Rhett Bomar kicked off team

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:27 am

Who would want a pessimistic coach on your team?

Which was why I said it could be a good thing. Whatever Stoops is doing, it's working, that's for sure.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:42 am

There isn't a head coach in CFB that isn't a little arrogant.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:29 am

Well...Stoops arrogant?

Huh...I have had to endure Steve Spurrier too long...Stoops doesn't even blip my meter.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:07 am

i caught the tail end of the local news last night and they were talking about some TN and auburn players being suspended but i haven't heard anything else about it and can't find anything online....even on the web page of the news channel i heard it on :? if it had included a few LSU players, i'd be thinkin i dreamed it :D

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:09 am

LubbockHasNoTrees wrote:We'll have to wait and see what develops from this as it's really too soon to know everything involved...

I agree, Lubbock.

I ran across this while surfing the college football rag sites.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt ... &type=lgns

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:19 am

billybud wrote:Well...Stoops arrogant?

Huh...I have had to endure Steve Spurrier too long...Stoops doesn't even blip my meter.

************ :D :lol: :D :lol: ************

Kind of like comparing the launch of a bottle rocket to the launch of the space shuttle, eh billybud? :D

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:07 pm

Eric wrote:
Who would want a pessimistic coach on your team?

Which was why I said it could be a good thing. Whatever Stoops is doing, it's working, that's for sure.
I read that article, Mountainman, thanks for posting it, it shed some light on the incident, and addressed how Oklahoma will likely deal with losing their QB (5th year senior waiting in the wings).
I don't think it will hurt Adrian Peterson's Heisman hopes. You guys must suffer from short-term memory.
Chris Brown (yeah I know he never won a Heisman) didn't start doing good until CU's starting QB got hurt, then he ran gangbusters over everyone. Bobby Pesavento wasn't a pure 'pocket' passer but he was smart enough not to make mistakes, and CU nearly played in the NC game (probably should have, but weren't selected by Rose Bowl).
Anyway, my point is, good teams can make adjustments, sounds like they 'nipped' the problem in the bud. One player does not a team make, no matter how talented he is.
If you want evidence, look at Terrell Owens.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:01 pm

colorado_loves_football wrote: I read that article, Mountainman, thanks for posting it, it shed some light on the incident, and addressed how Oklahoma will likely deal with losing their QB (5th year senior waiting in the wings).
I don't think it will hurt Adrian Peterson's Heisman hopes. You guys must suffer from short-term memory.
Chris Brown (yeah I know he never won a Heisman) didn't start doing good until CU's starting QB got hurt, then he ran gangbusters over everyone. Bobby Pesavento wasn't a pure 'pocket' passer but he was smart enough not to make mistakes, and CU nearly played in the NC game (probably should have, but weren't selected by Rose Bowl).
Anyway, my point is, good teams can make adjustments, sounds like they 'nipped' the problem in the bud. One player does not a team make, no matter how talented he is.
If you want evidence, look at Terrell Owens.

One player does not a team make, that is true, but if losing that one player makes you one dimensional then it will have a major impact.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:26 pm

Boomer wrote:If it gets really bad how hard is it to just hand off to AP and throw a lead block.

Really hard if the opponents know it is coming and put 9 guys in the box. Oklahoma needs at least moderatee sucess from their QB for AP to be sucessfull. If they don't get it what was to be AP's money year could be one filled with injuries. He is too tough a football player to back down from the challenge, but he isn't an Earl Campbell type runner. He needs help from the QB.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:50 pm

Boomer wrote::D Then explain all of those mediocre quarterbacks at Nebraska handing off to the likes of laurence phillips for al those years.

Its settled then........ I'll call Bob tonight and reinstate the Bone. I'd give my first born to see that come back with the success it once had. THAT WAS FOOTBALL!!!

Like I said before....... I recall a QB by the name of Troy Aikman breaking his leg and OU going on to win a Championship in the same year. Its going to be an interesting Season.

On that note........ I'm gonna fire up the grill and have some Bevo Tonight!! (I may not need the grill, I could do just fine putting a steak on the back deck)

Actually the sort of offense that WVU or Texas run could work for Oklahoma. The going back to the wishbone idea might not be that far off. Oklahoma has the athletes to out man a lot of teams. They just need to play without a lot of mistakes.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:21 pm

The problem with Nebraska is that the offense worked against less speedy defenses...a speedy defense could stop it...as FSU did in four straight bowl wins against the Huskers.

Now, most of the big boys have recruited speed on D.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:18 pm

I'm not talking about running the wishbone, more like the "read" option that West Virginia uses, Oklahoma could run that and be successful.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:18 am

I hope not.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:09 am

You know..I like "tune up" games like many, if not most teams have to start...I absolutely hate FSU opening against a ranked Miami.

Offenses rarely come out of the gate fully tuned...so the FSU/Miami game promises to have two tough defenses thwarting the offenses...

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:05 am

Been trying to tell you all along that the primary motive behind that ACC thing was money ..... :lol:

Let's face it, the way it's set up is for the Canes and Noles to play to kick off the season and to more often that not meet again in the Conference Championship Game ........ with TV dollars driving the whole thing.

No way to treat two of the finest programs in the country IMHO.

You can relax though ..... it's going to change. They've seen the error of their ways, thanks to Coach Bowden and Coach Coker.

Return to “General Discussion”