Rose Bowl Prediction

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.

Who will win the Rose Bowl

Poll ended at Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:11 pm

Texas
83%
USC
17%

Total votes: 12

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Rose Bowl Prediction

Postby Yeofoot » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:11 pm

Who do you pick to win? What would you predict the combined offense? What would you predict as the combined points scored? Who will have more yards, Vince (passing and rushing combined) or Reggie (receiving, rushing, returning)? Will Texas have more rushing or passing? Will USC have more rushing or passing? Who will be the Rose Bowl MVP?

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:15 pm

Texas wins. Combined offensive yards: 800; Combined points: 63; Vince Young with more yards; Texas does it with just a shade more passing yards; USC does it with twice as many rushing yards; Rose Bowl MVP: Jamaal Charles

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:08 pm

I'd have to say that USC wins. I just think that Texas will not have the national championship feel quite yet. I think USC wins by 10 with a late score. Oh but don't worry Yeofoot, Texas will be a lock next year for the Fiesta Bowl or the Championship Bowl or whatever they decide on. All that I know is that the Longhorns, with all the talent they have coming back next season (including Vince Young), I think Texas will kill everyone and everything come championship time 07.

As for who gets more yards, I'd have to say Vince Young because they will be down early and he will have to throw it. He can make plays with his legs too, he'll get some yardage on the ground. Texas will have 400 some yards but USC will up their total by 50. They'll get one more turnover, and 3 less penalties, and get 2 touchdowns off of turnovers, and more rushing yards. They'll be a little better in each aspect of the game. But, teams forget how to play defense come this time, so my prediction is 45-35 USC. These are 2 underrated defenses, but the BCS bowls tend to be higher scoring than expected.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

..fanaticjr
All-American
All-American

Postby ..fanaticjr » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:37 am

I don't see how USC's defense is underrated. They let up 344.7 yards per game. Also they have let up 2728 pass yards, that puts them at rank 87 in that category. Mississippi, a three win team has only let up 1973 pass yards, rank number 15. Also, in USC's win over Fresno State, Reggie Bush had 513 all-purpose yards and two touchdowns. Even after all of that they only won by 8 points. So, is USC's defense still underrated.

As, for Texas's, I'll agree that their defense is underrated. They let up an average of 280.6 yards per game. In that category, they're ranked number six. Not to mention, they have only let up 1871 pass yards putting them at number seven in that category. So, yah, their defense is underrated.

My take on the game, Texas wins it 49-20.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:34 am

I really don't have a clue which team is going to win this game. They both have great athletes, they both have good teams, they both score bunches of points ......

What I'm going to be watching is whether or not Texas can effectively run the ball in short yardage situations and in the red zone. I just haven't seen them line up and pound the ball straight ahead. I'm not saying they cannot do it, I just have not seen them do it.

With Bush and White I believe USC can. That and because I believe Texas relies too much on Vince Young are the reasons I think USC will win the game. I'll be counting the number snaps Young and the Texas offense gets against the Trojans. That, maybe, will tell the tale.

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:10 am

I could find reasons to support both teams winning but I'm going with Texas, primarily for its defensive advantage. A second reason would be the Fresno State game where an obviously not-so-great team would have beaten the Trojans had they not given up four turnovers in the second half. Also look at the number of times USC had to dig themselves out of a hole. I don't think Texas will let them come back if that happens. I picked Texas in the Fantasy Sports thing and I think I picked a 40-35 score.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:24 am

Texas is spectacular in short yardage, they put in Henry Melton, and at 6'3", 270lbs, he is a big boy to stop. And that Offensive line has such a good push that he get's a lot of momentum going. He has shown some Freshman tendencies though. Such as when he tried to jump over the OSU guy to get into the end zone, and was stopped, instead of trucking in like he's supposed to. One thing is for sure, I won't give up on the 'horns if they are down by 21, and I won't light up my victory cigar if we're up by 21.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:22 pm

Mack Brown had a great response to a question from the media about what he thought about the media's love of USC, it went something like...

yeah, I've been meaning to thank you for that, I don't even think I need to make a pre-game speech.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:36 pm

Mack Brown had a great response to a question from the media about what he thought about the media's love of USC, it went something like...

yeah, I've been meaning to thank you for that, I don't even think I need to make a pre-game speech.

That was the same kind of stuff Ohio State had to endure in 2002. Only worse because most in the media said Ohio State didn't belong on the same field with Miami.

I think if the Texas defense can hit the ground running and the 'Horns play well on special teams they can beat SC. If USC comes down the field fast a couple times early Texas will put themselves in a hole they can't climb out. Make no mistake, USC has a great football team and Matt Leinart didn't come back to lose this game. Texas needs to play well from the beginning. If Texas keeps it close in the first half I think they will pull it out. If not SC will win again.
Last edited by Spence on Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:45 pm

Well, if we look at the point totals, USC isn't that bad. Doesn't matter about yardage, just as long as you don't give up points. Plus, you have to consider how much extra time they see considering how quickly the offense scores. They have a ton of short drives.

They have also been very banged up. That game against Fresno State was such a fluke, just a team that came into the game so overconfident. USC is much better than Fresno State. They're getting healthy, and they've meshed into an effective unit.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:47 pm

Don't forget that they are up by so much, it forces Pac-10 offenses to throw. Considering all those factors, I don't think they are too bad.

..fanaticjr
All-American
All-American

Postby ..fanaticjr » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:45 pm

Eric,
Just so you know, even after the 34.3 passing attempts (per game) that their opponents throw, USC lets up 117.3 rushing yards per game. Also, you can't say teams that play USC don't run the ball much, seeing how their opponents average 34 run plays per game. Oh and by the way, this stat will show you that USC doesn't score quickly very often. Their TOP on the year is 30:52, only 2:74 minutes less than the leader at 33:26.
Last edited by ..fanaticjr on Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:50 pm

I think Reggie Bush gets "Stupidest Play of the Year".

And yes, I meant "stupidest" to go with the theme of things.

His first non-special teams fumble all year, and it's on the most idiotic lateral I've ever seen.

Speaking of laterals, I'm glad V Young got away with it, but his knee was definitely down. Oh well. Something for the Instant Replay Gospel Choir to argue with.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:56 pm

True on both counts. Also what was Mack Brown thinking going for it 4th and 1 on the 50, so early in the game. Guess the head coach has some butterflies also.

The Texas D line is pushing SC's line around right now. SC better figure a way to get protection in the second half. If they don't and Texas can hold on to the football they will start pulling away.

Rich, I don't know if Texas will win or not, but I told you that they are a good football team.
Last edited by Spence on Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:15 pm

And what's up with Pete Carroll choosing not to kick the field goal on his second possession. :?:

Return to “General Discussion”