A new year and a new slam against WVU by your computer....

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:04 pm

billybud, thank you for the explaination :D

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Good point Blackpowdereer.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:30 pm

Man, I totally agree with you!!!! I've been thinking that for so long and somebody else sees the hypocrisy. Thank you!! The other thing is when people talk "soudern" to sound funny, but if you talk "gangsta" you get ridiculed.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:14 pm

Blackpowdereer wrote:if EVERY time a comment is made about Ohio State....the school...and it invariably leads to remarks about how the State of Ohio leads the nation in known pedophiles.....

I did not know that Ohio leads the nation in known pedophiles. I did know that the state is very agreesive in its pursuit of pedophiles.

I did see the 20/20 thing about guys trying to hook up with little girls/boys in greenville, ohio. They are some real sick freaks, the problem is they look like everyone else. Where I live there are people who check on these guys and if they find them living to close to a school or things like that the report them and run them out of town. The paper also prints their picture in the paper every couple of months, along with their crime, so everyone knows who they are and where they live. It is an effective way of insuring they don't stay around too long.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:19 pm

West Virginians do feel put upon...they have a unique environment that creates some insularity and inwardness, as well as anger directed at those who do not have a "feel" for West Virginia...

West Virginia's population is overwhelmingly white (95 percent) and ethnically homogeneous. The population is largely descended from North Briton stock, including Lowland Scots, Ulster Scots, and English from the northern shires. Contributing to its homogeneity, West Virginia has the second lowest percentage of foreign-born population in the nation, and the state's African American population is very small and decreasing. Fewer than 56,000 African Americans reside in the state, less than 3 percent of the state's population.

West Virginia is very unlike Florida with our polyglot culture of latin americans, cubans, African Americans. Yankees, Southerners. The population of Florida is more representative of the current US population makeup while West Virginia can still maintain a strong resemblance to the white anglo saxon culture that was so predominate up through the 1960's in the rest of the US.

West Virginians suffer from a weak economy. The state's rates of teenage pregnancy, maternal health problems, occupational injury, obesity, and deaths from heart disease, cancer, lung diseases, and accidents are all above the national average. Also, many state citizens are not prepared for employment in white-collar jobs. The state's college attendance rate is last among the states.

The dropout rate of high school students, once among the highest in the nation, is now among the lowest. Although once at the bottom of national rankings in teacher pay, teacher compensation has been increased to only slightly below the national average. Also, West Virginia has an exceptionally low crime rate.

West Virginia is a very rural state. Only 41 percent of the state's 1.8 million people live in Standard Metropolitan Statistical Areas, far less than the national average of 79 percent. Only eight other states have a more rural population. There are no large cities; indeed, Charleston, the state capital, is the largest city in the state and it has fewer than 53,400 residents (about 10,000 more than the students at UCF)/

I researched the culture of West Virginia using various studies...and compiled...

1. The Popular National Image is generally one of a backward shiftless people who talk “quareâ€Â
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:25 pm

Well. Good Gravy, BlackpowerEER .... I thought something was wrong.

Listen to an ole Mountaineer, ...... people, and their thoughts and words are not important unless somebody else makes them important.

Hell, don't scare me like that .... I thought Dan Mozes was in a car wreck or something. :lol:

This ought to cheer you up .... read the article in the Charleston newspapers about the new hair cuts the offensive linemen are sporting .... what Rodriguez has to say and what Sheffey have to say about Mozes gave me a good chuckle.
Last edited by mountainman on Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:28 pm

Hey...I got me one of those haircuts as a show of solidarity too...when I went to boot camp at P.I.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:55 pm

BlackpowderEER wrote:Spence...I just pulled that out of the air (kinda like what a lot of people do when talking about West Virginia). I was watching 60 minutes and it was mentioned so I just added it in. I don't know if it's true or not....and never intended for it to be taken seriously.

But I can tell you are thinking in the direction I was intending for ya'll to think. Imagine if you found yourself having to explain or defend the state of Ohio in EVERY conversation, in every sports broadcast, in every message board your frequent. It's crap....and it shouldn't be a topic on a football board. But it happens over and over. Why?? because WV is one of the last places in the country that everyone can make fun of.

Frustrating to the point of coming to blows with the ignorant and the hateful. I'm too old for that anymore.

That is how bad it gets......sad.

I didn't know, it could be true. It seems as if there are a lot of them around these parts. :roll:

I understand what your saying about West Virginia. I am from southern Ohio. If you look at southern Ohio many of the same things from Billybuds article apply here. Many of the things that set you off are things said about people in my neck of the woods also. Some of my old stomping grounds in Ohio include Gallipolis, Proctorville, Porstmouth, Jackson, Ironton, Athens, and Wellston. You don't have to tell me about that sort of thinking. It just never bothered me because I knew that for every person that fit the mold of that stereotype, there is also one that doesn't and all shades in between.

I went to school in Northern Ohio. People couldn't believe from my accent that I was even from Ohio. They also expected the stereotype from me. They soon found out that it wasn't true and I got along OK.

Still I can take you places in southern Ohio where the stereotype fits. Most stereotypes are grounded in some fact. Just like urban areas of cities, or people from either coast have some stereotype associated with them.

Mostly I have found that people are people. We all are just out trying to do right by our families and have some fun when we can. From my experience, people from West Virginia are no different. I have never meant to make it sound like they were.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:36 pm

Passion for something that you believe in isn't a bad thing. It is the turning the other cheek thing that we all could use some help.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:31 pm

Great... I assume then that West Virginians are sensitive to pernicious "labeling" and therefore wouldn't label all Virginia Tech players as "thugs" or call VT something like "VThug"...or just maybe as I suspect, like most of us, the squeal is only when our particular oxe gets the gore.

Yeah...I have watched VT players, Miami players and Ohio State players get labeled as thugs, FSU get labeled as Free Shoes University, SEC programs labeled as cheaters, and WVU fans labeled as louts...from little truths, comes wholesale labeling.

It won't ever stop because humans think in short cuts...we see a picture of peas on the can and we expect peas...we don't read the fine print on the label.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:56 pm

Yes and we all have at least thought in those terms about this school or that one. I didn't realize how bright the spotlight shines on a championship team. You here this and that about Florida State, or Miami and your first reaction is to believe that the program is dirty. It is easy because you want it to be, it explains why your team can't win the championship.

My eyes were open to how much of that stuff is real and how much of it is just plain wrong. Ohio State had the NCAA in for over six months. The university was found to have acted in the correct manner. Tressel came out clean. O'Brien cheated and was fired, before the NCAA investigation. (although his contract was written in such a way that he could break the rules and still get paid.) Clarett cheated, was suspended, then decided not to conform to the rules of his suspension, then was kicked out, and on and on. Troy Smith got stuck with a huge phone bill that belonged to his "friend" Maurice Clarett and he nor his family could pay. He took some money(500.00) from another "friend of the program" illegally, and then came clean about it, when asked. Another booster turned in the offending booster. Troy was suspended two games that likely cost us another championship.

The press reported what happened in an entirely different way. I am not naive enough to think that some boosters aren't handing out cash to those that will take it, but I think most programs try to do things the right way. Including Ohio State, Florida State, USC, Oklahoma, and the whole SEC despite what some may think. I was one of those FSU is dirty guys, until this whole mess left me with a new perspective. Not anymore. The Oklahoma, USC, and Texas guys will agree in the coming months and years.

Return to “General Discussion”