How the #@$% did they win a National Championship?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

How the #@$% did they win a National Championship?

Postby Yeofoot » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:53 pm

What would it take for a non-BCS to get to BCS National Championship game?

I think it would take all the BCS conferences to produce a 3 lost champ. That's the only way I could see a mid-major getting the invite, of course they would have to be undefeated.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:00 pm

I would think that a non BCS conference team could get to the championship if they played an extremely difficult OOC schedule. If they did that and went undefeated, I wouldn't think they would need a host of two or three loss BCS conference champs. I do think it would take 4 ranked opponents, two in the top 10.

I've been a Buckeye since birth and I will leave this world a Buckeye.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:40 pm

No matter what OOC schedule they have, if there are 3 undefeated teams, it pretty much comes down to who is in the best two conferences. And in a lot of cases, I could see a 12-1 Big 12 team getting in ahead of an undefeated MWC team.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:45 pm

Yeofoot wrote:No matter what OOC schedule they have, if there are 3 undefeated teams, it pretty much comes down to who is in the best two conferences. And in a lot of cases, I could see a 12-1 Big 12 team getting in ahead of an undefeated MWC team.

I could too, but I don't think it does come down to who played in the best conference neccessarily. If a mid major played say Texas, Notre Dame, Florida, and Michigan and won all four I think they would be a shoo in even if the rest of their conference games were against sub top 25 teams. I believe it is who you play, rather then where you play.

If it was strictly about the best conference the SEC would have a team in the championship every year.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:19 am

It would take a difficult schedule, maybe a schedule with a top 25 team and a handful of mediocre BCS conference schools (Texas A&M, Mississippi State, Washington State, etc.). There couldn't be any other undefeated teams. They might get in depending on who the 1 loss teams are. If they are from the SEC, they'll be ranked ahead. If they're from the Big East, they might not be ranked ahead of the non-BCS school.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:22 am

Is there any team that has that tough of a OOC schedule?

If a mid major played say Texas, Notre Dame, Florida, and Michigan and won all four I think they would be a shoo in even if the rest of their conference games were against sub top 25 teams.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:24 am

No. But you asked what they would have to do and I told you. A mid major can't get to the championship game based on their conference record because it isn't strong enough and they won't get respect based on past records.

colorado_loves_football

Re: How the #@$% did they win a National Championship?

Postby colorado_loves_football » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:12 pm

Yeofoot wrote:What would it take for a non-BCS to get to BCS National Championship game?
An act of God.

No, I think it's a lot simpler than that. They need to be undefeated, have beaten a highly regarded opponent, and win their respective conference. At the end of the year, undefeated teams will stand out.

But, say a Ohio St wins the Big Ten but loses to Texas, I think they have an advantage over an undefeated non-BCS team, due in no small part to how the Big Ten fares in title games.

Yeofoot wrote:I think it would take all the BCS conferences to produce a 3 lost champ. That's the only way I could see a mid-major getting the invite, of course they would have to be undefeated.
Remember 2004?

Had Louisville not lost to Miami (they were ahead by 17 at one point, lost by 3), I think it's very possible they would have been the first 'non-BCS' participant (assuming Oklahoma had lost to somebody).

As it was, there were several undefeated teams, any one of which had a 'claim' on the NC, at the end of the year (Utah, Auburn, USC).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:07 pm

CLf wrote:But, say a Ohio St wins the Big Ten but loses to Texas, I think they have an advantage over an undefeated non-BCS team, due in no small part to how the Big Ten fares in title games.

They do have an advantage, same as a one loss team from any BCS conference, because of the competition, but it isn't easy for any one to go with a loss. Ohio State could loss once early and still find their way back, but it would take a lot of other things to make it happen. You lose and you take the ability to have some control over your destiny away.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:10 pm

If Ohio State had beaten PSU last year, and USC had lost to Notre Dame or Fresno State, it would have been a rematch in the Rose Bowl. I think that is my dream pairing this year. OSU vs UT in the BCS championship game, it's just as likely of a matchup as any other.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:35 pm

Yeofoot wrote:If Ohio State had beaten PSU last year, and USC had lost to Notre Dame or Fresno State, it would have been a rematch in the Rose Bowl. I think that is my dream pairing this year. OSU vs UT in the BCS championship game, it's just as likely of a matchup as any other.

I wouldn't mind that, but I don't think it can happen. TV would hate a rematch and to many things would have to happen.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:31 pm

No way, TV would love it...after the coaches poll came out, Sept 9th is all they are talking about (that and another aggie playing for OU).

It would be as big as last year's Rose Bowl.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:54 pm

They love the rematch angle from last year and they love the 1 vs. 2 ranking, but I think once the game has been played, no one but us would care to see the rubber match. It would give berth to a small rivalry or sorts though.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:09 pm

Yeofoot wrote:If Ohio State had beaten PSU last year, and USC had lost to Notre Dame or Fresno State, it would have been a rematch in the Rose Bowl. I think that is my dream pairing this year. OSU vs UT in the BCS championship game, it's just as likely of a matchup as any other.
I personally, wouldn't be interested in watching a 'replay' of a game played in September, just to 'pique' my imagination.
I don't like it when teams face-off again, unless it's for the confernece title, and even then it should be because both teams earned the right to be represented (a la Colorado vs. Texas, last year).
For all the talk surrounding how 'bad' Colorado was, against Texas, they still nearly beat Clemson (19-10). So, I'll be curious to see how Colorado does, this year, as I'm sure any CU Buff fan will.
Those other games (Ohio St vs. Penn St), (USC vs. Fresno St), (USC vs. Notre Dame) paled in comparison to the NC game.
I, for one hope both Texas and Ohio St AREN'T represented, but hopefully the winner will.

Return to “General Discussion”