Yeofoot's Top 25

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:51 am

Spence wrote:The bad thing about being ranked in the top 10 is that everybody you play will give you their best shot. It puts a lot of pressure on a team. If you come from 15 or higher, you get to get through the OOC without people taking you so seriously. Teams ranked in the top ten can't hide behind anything. Everyone knows they are good. It is a good place to be if you win, but if you don't live up to expectations, people see it as failure. If you are ranked #20 and win 9 or 10 games it is a great year. If you are ranked in the top 5 and lose one game, the season is lost. It is a whole different ballgame with expectations among players, media, and fans. It is also an extra layer of pressure for a coach.
On the other side of the coin, if you start lower in the poll, you cannot afford a loss, and about the only way to go up, is for the top teams to lose. This is my fear with West Virginia this year. They are starting fairly high and have a pretty easy schedule. If they do not lose a game they will probably be in the National Championship game. That is currently the system we are using. Bring on a playoff that would include a minimum of 8 teams.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:30 am

That wouldn't solve the problem of "who" gets to be in the playoff game. It wouldn't stop a team that "didn't belong" getting in because the platoff positions would still be determined by the polls. All that does is add more games to the season. Something that fans would like, but it would give players a couple more chances to have career ending injuries before they have a chance to sign an NFL contract.

College football has never really felt the need to have a true national champion. The NCAA doesn't sanction a champion. It has remained the most popular collegiate sport without having a true champion. I really don't see the need to try and change that.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:02 am

I think Texas was the best team last year. I'm not disputing or arguing that, but there is no official national champion of college football. The NCAA sanctions champions in most other sports, but not CFB. The national champion in CFB is called the "mythical national champion". It is less mythical with the addition of a championship game, but still not a true champion. Their are too many teams in D-1A to devise a system to determine a true national champion.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:05 pm

LubbockHasNoTrees wrote:Although using an 8 team playoff wouldn't actually solve the problem persay... we know it only shifts the controversy from #2 to #8...

There is usually no more then a couple of teams that have a legit shot at claiming #2, there would be at least double, maybe triple the teams claiming they got screwed out of the 8th position.

The reason for the month off from the bowls has more to do with finishing up winter term then it has to do with giving teams a chance to prepare. If teams were to use the bowls for playoff venues several teams would be spending as many as four weeks away from school. You can't fly out the day before the game. It wouldn't make sense from a logistical standpoint to use the bowls, if in fact a playoff ever came to pass.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:14 pm

Yes! Finally another UT fan on here.

yes the only easy pick this season is ut numero uno and everyone else numero dos

That's what I'm talkin bout.

Seriously though, of all the teams in the country, Texas has the best chance of playing in the national championship game if multiple teams finish undefeated.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:30 pm

Yeofoot wrote:
Yes! Finally another UT fan on here.

That's the last thing this board needs! :wink:
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re:

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:25 pm

Well, Spence, you're half right.

Posted on the NCAA website, they state, that:

The NCAA does not sanction, or regulate the selection process for a Division I - A football National Champion.

However, they do officially recognize the BCS selected champion, for record keeping reasons.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re:

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:46 pm

Though, you are unquestionably right about one thing:

If it's not broken, why try to fix it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the current system we have, is without flaw.

But, what Spence touched on, is something I think most overlook.

Spene, you say College Football is the most popular collegiate sport.

I'll go one further on you, and say that Div 1-A college football is the most popular sport in the United States.

Other than the once a year Indianapolis 500, or Daytona 500, how many other stadiums could fill 100,000+ fans?

Let alone do it weekly.

How many other sports can claim a season rides on the win of 'every' game?

A playoff system would change that.

A playoff system would make it less neccessary to win all of your regular season games.

And, why change the sport, when fan interest is always booming?

Just maybe, it's college football that has the right idea, by not having a playoff system.

If there are more viewers, higher attendance rates, and merchandise sold throughout the year (not just the season).

Then, that would suggest, all the 'other' sports are doing something wrong, wouldn't it?
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:39 pm

Cane wrote:Just maybe, it's college football that has the right idea, by not having a playoff system.

If there are more viewers, higher attendance rates, and merchandise sold throughout the year (not just the season).

Then, that would suggest, all the 'other' sports are doing something wrong, wouldn't it?

You are reading my mind buddy.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:04 pm

A playoff system would make it less neccessary to win all of your regular season games.

And, why change the sport, when fan interest is always booming?

True That

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:03 pm

king54 wrote:the only thing better than going to the game is sitting in a vegas sports bar and watching every single game at once while "barbie" from "topeka" slings me a cold beer

Yep, it's a tough life being a fan. This just goes to demonstrate what sacrifices a guy has to make when he's a college football fan. :lol: :D :lol:

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:13 pm

I just wish Texas had thought ahead. It irks me that we don't have the biggest stadium in the country. Seriously.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:24 pm

You all make Texas jokes, but face it, everythings bigger, the stadium can be seen from the top of the largest capitol building in the country, and from the top of the largest dorm in the world.

Return to “General Discussion”