Random and Sometimes Meaningless Thoughts

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Random and Sometimes Meaningless Thoughts

Postby billybud » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:44 pm

1. How Much Does Having Experienced Players Really Help?

When Penn State had 17 fifth year Seniors (not 4th year) last year, they were the most experienced team in the country...Did it help? Bowden says it did...and it helped Penn State win the Big Ten...He was asked why.

My paraphrasing....on why Bobby likes a little experience

A. The difference an experienced QB makes....

Last year, when FSU's starter was bitten by a tick, two inexperienced freshmen were left at QB. Bowden says that they had to run half an offense in that all plays were called "blind". No play was audibled at the line and changed to suit the defensive scheme. The QB's were not experienced enough to perform that task. This year, the QB will assess the defense and be able to call the play that better advantages the offense (a Chris Weinke specialty). Bowden thinks that being able to read a defense and call the correct play makes for a stronger offense.

b. Experience on the offensive line...

The offensive line positions take longer to learn and execute than many positions...picking up twists, blitzs. learning proper footwork and blocking technique...almost every offensive lineman needs to take a redshirt year. Also, most linemen gain serious weight and strength from their starting point as an entering freshman. Rarely will a true freshman be able to come in against quality defenders and play at the level needed.

c. Inexperience at cornerback

Bobby says that for the last 10 years, defenses have been putting 8 in the box on first down to force a pass. If you run, they want it to be second and 8 or 9. They know you will throw it then and if you do run, they will give you the three yards to make it 3rd and five and another passing situation. Many teams have resorted to spreading it out on first down to force the defense to spread as well. Bobby says that he likes to hurry the QB on the spread by blitzing but that to do so, the CB's have to be able to single cover. Inexperienced freshmen CB's, like last year, were susceptible to making mistakes, costly ones (taking bad angles, going for and missing an INT which is a cardinal sin since it allows a big gain), etc.

2. Reputational Strength, Program Respect and Ranking

I was musing on the Coach's Poll ranking of FSU as #10....When you finish the season 8-5, lose four of your last five games, lose your bowl game, and lose eight players in the first five rounds of the NFL draft and still get ranked #10...that is respect.

But I believe that it also is recognizing that FSU still has athletes and will be a much better offense this year (with starting O linemen out and only 6 scholarship O linemen available last year after injuries, it was a disaster). I, myself, have the same thoughts about Michigan...they have every chance to be the typically good Michigan team this year.

3. Walk Ons...I Love 'Em...

The guys you have never seen but work hard for years for the chance to get on the field. This year, several have made the three deep and I will get to see them play. Walk-on junior DB Mikhal Kornegay just received his scholly after a couple of walk on years.

I'd love to see walkon QB Jared Whipkey get in. He is a 5th year senior who has walked on all five years. I've spent some time with the young man, he is a very nice kid, now working on his masters, and it would be nice for him to get in for a play or two. Working hard, year after year, with little chance of playing takes a special kind of guy.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:37 pm

Random, you say. I'm O.K. with that part, but the 'sometimes meaningless' part ..... no way. This is Good Stuff. :wink:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:17 pm

1. How Much Does Having Experienced Players Really Help?

Next to can't miss talent I believe that experience is the most improtant thing. Bobby Bowden has won more games then any D-1 coach ever, it isn't bad to listen to that kind of experience as well.

Offensive line is the place you really want experience. O-Line is the hardest position to truly learn.

I don't know about the cornerback position. Corner is more read, react. Every corner will get beat, as long as he can forget it and start over you are all right. Safety is a different story. The safety usually reads the offense and makes the defensive calls. You want experience at safety.

2. Reputational Strength, Program Respect and Ranking

In poll rankings respect is way up on the list. If you win year after year, people will allow you an "off" year, there is no reason they should not believe you won't bounce back. That is why Ohio State is getting so much respect this year. The last four years people would say "if they ever get an offense". Well now they have an offense. People also say "they always have a good defense". That is where the #1 ranking comes from, because they couldn't honestly look at 2 returning starters as a reason to rank a team #1.

Michigan, if they stay healthy, will compete for the championship this year. You heard it here first and from a guy who hopes they don't stay healthy.

3. Walk Ons...I Love 'Em...

Me too. Those guys really want to play for your team. Enough to pay their own way. Walk ons are where the heart of the football team comes from.
Last edited by Spence on Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:26 pm

Spence wrote:Michigan, if they stay healthy, will compete for the championship this year. You heard it here first and from a guy who hope they don't stay healthy.

:lol: :D :lol:

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:56 am

mountainman wrote:Random, you say. I'm O.K. with that part, but the 'sometimes meaningless' part ..... no way. This is Good Stuff. :wink:
I also agree with the meaningless. I find myself not wanting to read any post that is over 100 words. I understand, if you are trying to amass a sum of money on this board, wordiness is the word. (See Canes Posts) I only earned $4.15 for that shot, probably more than it was worth. :D
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:03 am

Then don't read a post that is more than 10 words...LOL

The younger crowd, in particular, has a very short (MTV like) attention span. But luckily, there is always something for everyone..just scroll on by.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:41 pm

billybud wrote:Then don't read a post that is more than 10 words...LOL

The younger crowd, in particular, has a very short (MTV like) attention span. But luckily, there is always something for everyone..just scroll on by.
Ten words is a little short, but when any post goes for almost the entire length of the page, I do scroll on by. Please excuse me if I post later and did not know that what I posted was buried somewhere in a long post.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Return to “General Discussion”