National Championship Game

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:04 pm

If that's the case, Texas will win two national championships this year.

No matter who wins, if Texas' QB plays well, and if OSU's Defense plays well, I would expect them to play each other again in Tempe.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:23 pm

Maybe...But I still think WVU has a shot. Maybe the winner will be in the CG, in this case im gonna have to go with OSU for this game...I hope Texas does well but Im not sure what the QB is gonna be like.

Looking forward to the first game of the year...Im about to wet my pants just thinking about sitting down in front of the TV and veggin for an entire Saturday. :D
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:20 pm

It is a big game, no doubt, but no game in September will determine the national championship. That is discounting the football played in nine other conferences. Some of those other conferences play some pretty good football. The game should have an impact on the NC race, but top teams from the SEC, ACC, B-East, and PAC 10 may have something to say about the NC game as well.

What it is, is a premium game among major conference leaders. It is a game we all should celebrate and hope we get to see more of in September. With the addition of the 12th game, colleges have the opportunity to really showcase the best of college football all year long. Lets hope they see that and get away from the practice of adding 1-AA games to pad their schedules.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:52 pm

You see, I don't understand the argument at all. I wouldn't want to play a rivalry game right out of the gate like FSU/Miami, but if I am the coach of a team, I want to prove to the "powers that be" that I have the best team in the nation. Playing top notch competition and winning is a very good way to do that. Texas didn't have argue they should be in the championship over Ohio State at the end of the season, because they already had proved they could beat Ohio State on the field. Had they not played, Ohio State fans and some others across the country could have argued that Ohio State was the better team. That didn't happen because they played. It was already settled on the field.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:26 am

I don't think any early season game will determine the National Championship, however, it can eliminate a contender. With W Virginia's schedule, they will likely be unbeaten and if the title game, unless there are two other undefeated teams. In that case they will be left out.

As far as a rivalry game, I prefer it to be towards the end of the season. Iowa plays Iowa St early and this sucks. In the 911 season this game got postponed to the end of the season and that was a great way for both teams to end their season.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:24 am

This year, more than most, the schedule will have a huge influence...

I have WVU as having the major shot if they get by Louisville...their other games would require a WTF lapse for a loss. A very good chance to run the table.

I have Louisville as having the next most major shot with only Miami and WVU to get by.

others...

The ACC...with the winner most likely having to play teams like FSU, Miami, VT, Clemson, BC, NC State and a CCG...too many tough teams and chances for a loss to run the table.

The Big Ten...the winner having to play teams like Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa...add Notre Dame to the schedule for some, Texas for Ohio State..too many opportunities for a loss...real tough to run the table.

Big 12...The North is still not great and the CCG shouldn't hurt either Texas or Oklahoma's chances as much...Texas and Oklahoma are the cream of the crop. If Texas beats Ohio State, Oklahoma and Texas Tech are the two main obstacles...both Oklahoma and Texas have a moderate chance to run the table. Oklahoma has the easier sched. of the two.

PAC 10...USC may be the best, but Cal may challenge. USC has to get by ND...a moderate chance to run the table for USC and Cal.

Independents...Notre Dame has a tough schedule....odds are there will be a loss along the way.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

colorado_loves_football

Re: National Championship Game

Postby colorado_loves_football » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:45 pm

king54 wrote:does anyone else think that the national championship game is going to be on september 9th in austin
Interesting question. I think there is likely a 'fair-to-good' probability it could determine which of the two teams finds their way to Glendale, AZ come Jan. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if both teams play in January.

Last year, there were questions about whether either team would 'survive' their regular season to play in a NC. Texas, clearly proved capable of playing for the NC, and did. I think a likely scenario is whichever team wins, will 'advance' to the NC game, following last years' results. The 'loser' will likely play in the Fiesta Bowl.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:52 am

A lot of people see it as a playoff game. I don't. If both teams play really well and it comes down a handful of points, the loser won't hurt that badly in the polls and it's early in the season so they won't have as much ground to catch up. The other thing is that there are so many really good teams with some glaring obstacles in their way, I can't see anybody going undefeated this year.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:43 pm

Oh, I think there will be at least one undefeated team. Someone will get through.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:43 pm

Yeah...Boise State
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:57 pm

Someone on the top half.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:30 pm

billybud wrote:Yeah...Boise State

I'll have to disagree. I see them losing 3 OOC games but going undefeated in the WAC. You know, for a non-BCS team, the OOC schedule isn't easy. They do have Oregon State on the Smurf Turf, but Yvenson Brenard will tear up the run defense. Utah plays Boise in SLC and we all know how bad Boise is on the road and how good Utah will be this year. Boise also plays Wyoming in War Memorial Stadium. I don't think Wyoming will even be bowling this year but pull off the upset because they are one tough customer in that stadium.

If they can disprove me, it's possible. The only WAC game I think they can lose is against Nevada because that's in Reno.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Return to “General Discussion”