Mountainman and David's math problem

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:36 am

My thinking...pure math..no conferences, etc.

At the first game.....there would be 118 possible matches for a team...117 at game 2...116 game 3..etc.

By game 12...there should be 109 unduplicated teams for a team to play.

However, 119 teams would have access to 109 unduplicated matches...leaving ten teams short.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:48 pm

Wow...that took some time to type...nice
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:56 pm

Under no circumstances should a playoff have 64 teams involved. That will NEVER sell, to the public, or the schools.

I dont care if AA does it already or not. Not the same situation.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:38 pm

Hey, David, I've been out to town for a couple of days. Let me get caught up and I'll get back with a reply ..... by the way, got your PM 8)

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:40 pm

David wrote:
Derek wrote:Under no circumstances should a playoff have 64 teams involved. That will NEVER sell, to the public, or the schools.

I dont care if AA does it already or not. Not the same situation.

Prior to your post, nobody was refering to any type of playoff on this thread.

What were they talking about with teams playing each other??
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:55 pm

1-a playing 1-aa and how many combinations there could be if 1-a only played 1-a. But keep on taking up that playoff fight when ever possible, even if it isn't the topic. :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:00 pm

You are forgiven, Derek .... please, pretty please, pretty please with a candied cherry on top, heed Spence's advice and take the liberty every chance your get. :lol:

Hey David, nice work ..... one thing we've established is that after the first week there will be one team for sure that did not play.

I have a thought that I want to run by you. Since we're talking about a season here, I don't believe we should be thinking about it at this point as a number of weeks, or to put it another way, we should think about it in a similar way baseball is played. That is there is no clock or 'time' measurement. As we know, the length of a baseball game is measured in terms of outs and not by a clock. I think the measurement of our 'season', if you will, should be 12 games. In other words, once a team or teams reach 12 games, their season in complete. What do you think about that?

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:00 pm

Have you taken into consideration that teams HAVE to play certain other conference teams and are schedule by their conferences, leaving them no control of dates for scheduling. Many teams have a non-conference rival that has to beschduled, too, and worked out between both schools.

I think that becomes one of the problems for teams when it comes time to filling out the other 3-5 games. Almost everyone plays their non-conference games in the first few weeks of the season, which means you have 3-5 weeks of calendar time for 119 teams to compete for scheduling opponents. It's far more complicated than a simple math problem.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:14 pm

You're absolutely right about the other complications, fanatic. :wink:

Here's one to add to the list of other problems, who's going to convince the AD's at Michigan, Penn State, Tennessee, Ohio State and UCLA who play the largest stadiums in college football (all over 100,000 seats) that they have to play an away game at Idaho, Ball State, Ohio University, Toledo, and Buffalo who play in some of the smallest stadiums in college football (30,000 or less).

Just making a point here about another issue .... the stadium capacities came from the web page ...

http://homepages.cae.wisc.edu/~dwilson/ ... adiums.txt

The point of the topic, carried over from another topic, is the math for D-1A teams to have a schedule (12 games) of exclusively D-1A opponents is simply not there. Anyway you slice it comes up short and as you are saying ... it's just not practical. 8)

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:18 pm

True, Mountainman.

I hadn't even considered the home/away factor that you point out. Just the simple fact that each team wants/needs for financial reasons to play at least half of their games at home creates an even bigger problem.

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:58 pm

UL-M is a rare example and they only have four home games because they "sold" what would have been a home game against Arkansas to get a bigger paycheck from a bigger stadium.

As there is no "central schedule maker" for college football, getting nothing but 1a vs. 1a games is probably impossible. Mathematically, it would be difficult at best.

If you're implying the smaller schools would be happy to always have just 4 or 5 home games, I think you are greatly mistaken. Travel costs money. And without home games to help establish a fan base, you will never grow your program. Without home games against teams you can compete with, you will never create a winning program.

I agree that 1a vs. 1aa games largely suck. And I'd rather see a way around it. But the expansion to a 12-game schedule made it infinitely more difficult, if not impossible, to achieve a purebread 1a-1a slate for all 119 teams.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:46 pm

David wrote:I believe it is possible for all 119 D1-A schools to play a 12 game schedule without having to schedule anyone other than D1-A opponents.

Don't think so, David ...... let's just condense things ... bare with me. :lol:

119 teams playing a 12 game schedule. We know it takes 2 teams to make a game so that would be 59 per round leaving 1 team (bye 1) that did not have an opponent. Now keep in mind we're measuring by the number of games for each team being 12. So, after the first round of games there is one team (bye 1) that has not played. During the next round of games there would also be 1 team (bye 2) that did not have an opponent. This would continue for the 12 rounds creating bye1 through bye 12. Let's assume that bye1 through bye 12 are all different teams and play one another. Considering that bye 1's first game is not until the second round and each round going forward bye1 plays the bye team from each of the remaining round (2 through 12) then bye1 has but 11 opponents before all other teams have reached the 12 game limit.

Your thoughts, please sir ........ 8)

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:49 pm

I'm not going to try to answer it without taking an Excedrin :lol:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:04 pm

:lol: :D :lol: **** Now that is funny **** :lol: :D :lol:

Nausea
Heartburn
Indigestion
Upset Stomach