Reading the Member's Poll Comments

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Reading the Member's Poll Comments

Postby billybud » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:12 pm

It's been interesting, and fun, watching you guys work out the first poll...don't have a problem with any group's poll...except one...and I am a self procaimed fan poll skeptic. That was surprising to me.

Except Howdy's group, that is...no discussion...and I'd love to know the thinking behind leaving Florida State off his Top 25 list altogether...not withstanding that FSU has finished in the AP Top 25 since 1987...longer than any current team.

It's this kind of nonsensical stuff that puts me off polls...of course, leaving a team off a poll sure lowers the average votes...without discussion, one doesn't know if it was an oversight, agenda driven, or reasoned out.

My take....that particular poll (vote) doesn't carry much value.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:21 pm

For those who think I am a bit harsh...I am a believer in accountability...your choice of a vote is your choice, but the accountability part comes when you are questioned on your choice...was it reasoned? or was it something else?

I saw very diligent efforts by voters to submit a Top 25 that was based on reason...a lot of thought went into it...congrats to those of you who spent the time and effort to vote on a poll that can have some meaning.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Howdy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Reading the Member's Poll Comments

Postby Howdy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:26 pm

[q

Except Howdy's group, that is...no discussion...and I'd love to know the thinking behind leaving Florida State off his Top 25 list altogether...not withstanding that FSU has finished in the AP Top 25 since 1987...longer than any current team.

Our final poll was avg. out to show Fla.St. as number 20.
MY power poll showed them at 34 but my team mates raised it up.
The system I use will change during the season,but this is where they finished after the bowl games.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:53 pm

Most of the groups used their thread, Pm's, and emails to hash out their top 25. I thought the threads were the best place to hash it out, but still I had over 30 different PM's from my group members debating one thing or another. I thought that if we hashed it out on the threads it would be easier to go back and read what went into our decisions and how we were so wrong on some things / right on others.

This is an experiment into what a poll voter goes through during the course of the season. Hopefully as the year goes on and the games are played we can maybe understand a little about why some teams drop badly in the polls and others do not. At least there will be some evidence left behind on how we arrived at those decisions. It will also be interesting to see if the same logic that is applies in dropping (or raising) teams in the poll is used for all teams.

I really think that the group members put a lot of thought into this poll and did a good job of trying to be fair. I don't think the preseason poll turned into a popularity poll. I think everyone took it seriously and I am also very happy that the voting members used imput from their group members instead of trying to go it alone.

All in all I think that everyone did a very good job with the first phase of the poll. The harder part is coming. When the games start, making adjustments to the poll, I think will be what really will tell us if we can put together a good poll. Hopefully everyone will follow what they believe and not try to be to heavily influenced by the national polls.

Don't be to hard on Howdy. He is our most senior member and he is always among the leaders in the picks game. His system must work pretty well in the end.
Last edited by Spence on Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:54 pm

Well Howdy...Thanks

from what I could see...your group (two members submitting on the thread), from what I could determine from the board, had FSU as #5 and not ranked....a range that makes an average pretty meaningless.

So...a #5 and a nonranked end up a #20? Preseason ranks are pretty much a crapshoot...thanks for filling me in on how you did yours..

Rech! LOL

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:09 pm

CFP Regulation (1b)(i.) states:

"No member will harass, assault, bully, or otherwise flame any member of group of the CFP Top 25 Users Poll for their final ranking, or comments made within the respective Group Thread."

This thread is thereby locked.

Return to “General Discussion”