Absurd poll!

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:26 pm

Again if you want consistency then vote how I said to vote. If you don't then don't complain because others do the same thing you are doing. I'm sorry if I didn't completely spell out that you should use the group model every week to do your poll. I would have thought common sense would have dictated that. Irish88 did use the model for his poll. You are the only one in our group who did not.

Do not complain about consistency in the polls or how others vote when you have refused to do the very same thing. You lead by example.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:42 pm

Spence wrote:Again if you want consistency then vote how I said to vote.

That's not how I understood the process to work. Collectively we can submit a poll, which you give your 'stamp' of approval on, or you can 'over-ride' whatever either one of us (Irish88) or I submit.
You aren't in a position to tell us 'how' to vote, I'm certain of that.

Spence wrote:If you don't then don't complain because others do the same thing you are doing. I'm sorry if I didn't completely spell out that you should use the group model every week to do your poll. I would have thought common sense would have dictated that. Irish88 did use the model for his poll. You are the only one in our group who did not.
Didn't completely spell out? That's not your place, Spence. You, as voter can 'over-ride' our votes, you can't tell us how to vote, like I said, there's a monumental difference between the two. That notwithstanding, you instructed us to submit a top-25, which you said you would 'average'. I'm not a big fan of 'averages' I suggested that we work as a 'unit' you refused. I actually was the one who initially 'suggested' a model, but I was hoping it would be one we could orchestrate, not one you 'fabricate'.
I'd like to know CFP's opinion on this matter, after all they are the ones who stand to gain from it, moreso than either one of us.

Spence wrote:Do not complain about consistency in the polls or how others vote when you have refused to do the very same thing. You lead by example.
I think you should listen to your own advice, Spence.
Your position has already been documented. You suggested we submit 'individual' polls which you were going to 'average'. I suggested we work as a team. You aren't honoring either one with your 'position'.
Where I live that's called being a hypocrite, among other things.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:19 pm

I have never told anyone who to vote for. I can set up guidelines for voting. I can over ride anything you vote on if I choose. I would rather not do that, but I won't let a poll go that doesn't follow guidelines. That is not hypocritical. That is having order. Telling people they aren't being consistent when you aren't being consistent is being a hypocrite.

In case you didn't know, people voting in the groups are auditioning for the right to have their own vote next year. If you can't follow simple guidelines for voting, you can't be trusted with a vote. If you conduct your professional life the way you do this, I find it amazing that you are able to keep a job.

I asked Irish88 to make adjustments to the poll based on how he thinks teams have played so far, he has done that without saying a word. His adjustments and mine aren't the same. They don't have to be, but they are consistent with the model. That is all I asked.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:29 pm

First of all Spence this isn't a 'job' unless I"m mistaken. You don't have to like my ideas. I dont' like some of yours, either.
When you were first 'promoted' to administration, I was 'glad' for you, I think I even expressed my congratuations, if I didn't, I should have.

I'm not in a position to tell you what to do, clearly. You are free to do 'as you please' maybe without recompense, for all I know. I had hoped someone (Matt?) might intervene, but apparently that isn't going to happen, so I'll address this issue myself.

Irish88 and I dont' have a problem. It doesn't appear you do, either (with him), but it's become painfully obvious to me you have one with me.
I think it's either pettiness, jealousy?, or something else, that 'forces' you to 'negate' my every suggestion, however small.

You dont' 'have to like my ideas. You can 'reject' any and all input I have, if you like. Your authority however stops (and ends) there. You've tried (unsuccessfully, so far) to have me 'banned'. Perhaps I"ve 'crossed-the-line' in my arguments, but if I have it's been in the name of 'fairness'. You have attacked my character, implying I'm a 'menace' to society. You don't know me well enough to make that determination. Your authority, with respect to me is specific to this site.

Maybe you need to make a 'call' here. Have me banned, if necessary, assuming that's your 'position'. Truth be told, I won't be bothered all that much by it. I'll survive. All I've tried to do (from day#1) is hopefully make this 'board' a little better by offering an 'alternate' point of view. Somehow, that 'annoys' you. If I've offended you, I apologize, I know it's been a difficult 'transition' for me as well, but I've also learned a lot.
No two people are going to see eye-to-eye on every subject. To 'assume' they would I think is pretty naive. I don't agree with everything you represent, and clearly neither do you (with me). Matt told me that was 'healthy'. Maybe he's on your side now. Ask him.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:57 pm

I never called you I'm a 'menace' to society. I was pointing out to you, in this thread that your are chastising others for something you are doing yourself. I'm not going to ban anyone for disagreeing with me. Follow the rules (as you have been) and you will be all right.

Anyway I have addressed the rest of this to you on our voting thread and in your PM box.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:46 pm

CLF every bit of what I have told you is so you can have a voice in this poll. If I didn't want you to have a voice, I wouldn't publish my personal vote and would just ignore you altogether. I don't think it is beyond reason to ask that the group poll be used as the group poll. If a team plays well enough to jump them over other teams, you may do that. If a team doesn't play well enough to keep them in their position, you may drop them. I would just like to here the reasoning behind the move. That way if visitors look at our poll they may understand the thought process involved in coming to the conclusions we came to and it be a logical progression.

Irish88 dropped Notre Dame to 6 last week, I kept them at 4. I thought that, although they didn't play as expected, they played well enough to hold their position. 88 didn't. I told him I thought he was being a little hard on them. He didn't think so, but there was an argument for them to be dropped. Just as there was an argument for them to hold. Reasonable people can look at that dialog an see what went into the decision. They can make up their own minds as to how we did, but it would at least be consisent enough to understand either viewpoint. This is a process in which we all can learn if we make the effort.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:32 pm

colorado_loves_football wrote:You've tried (unsuccessfully, so far) to have me 'banned'.

This subject is not my argument and it is not my intent to impose myself into others discussions such as these, but for the benefit of the forum and for the benefit of the members who have chosen to participate in the forum, I feel compelled to let you know that the above quoted statement is false.

The forum is governed by written rules which are enforced by a group of administrators and moderators.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:07 pm

Lets get this back on topic guys. I think it has escalted far enough. I should apologize for taking a voting group issue on the main board. When I started it, it was topical, but I let it get out of hand. This is a issue I should have kept in the group.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:34 pm

Boomer wrote:just because I cant resist throwing in my two cents......
Since everyone is so willing to contribute to my financial security I propose we start a benefit drive. All contributions are tax deductible, by the way, I'll even name it "Save the Menace".

[Quote="Boomer"]
Could it possibly be because you're always right and cant consider the notion that you might ever be wrong?
No, that would be against my principles to suggest I ever was wrong, plus I need all the support I can get, I certainly can't count on you.

[Quote="Boomer"]God forbid someone should not take your suggestion or disagree with you. You can pick other people apart all day long but when the tables are turned you pout like a 3 year old .

You would have to give me a specific example if you want me to comment on that. I simply voice my 'opinion' and make my own bed.
Then I lie in it. What's so wrong with that?

Boomer wrote:You have no problem telling people where they're wrong or twisting their words to read into it what you want but cant take an alternate point of view without coming undone at the seams.

All I do is consider alternate points of view, so much so it gives me a massive headache. If I've learned anything it's hard to find truth amongst a bunch of overgrown adolescent boys (and one girl).

Boomer wrote:You love your teams and stick up for your conference but I'm thinking that your favoritism has clouded your judgement and ability to remain impartial in your poll among other things. There is afterall life outside of the mountain west. Man... I was just starting to like you too, you were beginning to show a sense of humor. Lets not ruin that

Life outside the Mountain West?

Clearly you are delusional. But I've heard stories of horses that spew out smoke and leave iron tracks behind. And white men with guns.
Sometimes they come to barter, but usually they just make our lives miserable. I'm sure they'll give us justice in the end, howver.

Boomer wrote:
There, soapbox is back under the bed. Can we all be friends now? lets go have a drink.

Well, if it's a drink you have to make a toast.

Let us all strive to become better citizens. (Hey I'm not a toastmaster).
Last edited by colorado_loves_football on Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:52 pm

If this thread doesn't go back on topic on the very next post it will be locked. When I say get back on topic, I mean just that.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:29 pm

Yes I heard him. The coaches are the most qualified people to do a poll. Problem is most coaches only pay attention to games important to them. Politics has a lot to do with the coaches poll also.

The AP is regionally biased. I heard a sportswriter from Columbus today tell people they should book the trip to the desert and by their championship tickets because there is no way Ohio State won't go to the championship game. That may be an alright view for a fan, but this guy is a sportwriter and isn't even making an attempt to hide his bias.

I have yet to watch one team play this year that I thought was a lock to the championship game based on having a complete team. I want to watch LSU play Saturday, because they are my preseason pick to the championship game and I want to watch them play and see if I still believe that they are championship caliber.

All in all though, the polls are generally pretty good thru the top 10. After that it is hard to really know.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:24 am

I think Texas just played OSU to see who gets to beat USC in the BCS Championship game this year, just like last year.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:36 am

I wish more teams would play OOC games like this. We have Miami, USC, Va Tech, Washington(i know), and Oklahoma coming up as OOC games in a few years. These games are good for recruiting and good for the fans. Playing Texas last year blew any chance Ohio State had of playing in the championship, but I wasn't disappointed that the scheduled the game. Last years Ohio State team was championship caliber at the end of the year, they were a lot better then this years team. Had we not played Texas we might have made it to the championship. I don't care. I want these kinds of games. They are good for CFB. If you want to people to know how good you are then go out and prove it and let the chips fall where they may. It beats the heck out of watching Ohio State eat Youngstown State for lunch.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:04 pm

Yeofoot wrote:I think Texas just played OSU to see who gets to beat USC in the BCS Championship game this year, just like last year.

I need to correct something I posted eariler with respect to #1 vs. #2.

My information was inaccurate.

In 1996, when Florida St and Notre Dame were paired together (and Florida St won), they were in fact #1 and #2.

Florida St lost the BCS title game to Florida who was #2 overall.

In 1992, Miami, FL was #1 and Alabama was #2, in the BCS title game.

In effect, in those kinds of arrangements, it appears the 'underdog' has a decided advantage, if modern history is the 'gauge'.

Actually, it doesn't bode well for either Texas or Ohio St. If Ohio St. remains #1, all the way through the title game, they will be the 'favorite'.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:31 pm

It hasn't happened very often, if at all, that the preseason favorite was #1 in every game and #1 at the final bell. Maybe FLorida State did it one year, other then that I don't think anyone else has.

There is always room for a first time event. :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”