Worst Football Team

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.

Who is the worst team in college football?

Temple
69%
Florida Atlantic
No votes
Buffalo
13%
Army
No votes
Kent State
No votes
Duke
6%
New Mexico State
13%

Total votes: 16

Eric

Worst Football Team

Postby Eric » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:10 pm

My vote goes to Temple. They lose to Buffalo and get smacked around like crazy against Louisville--what was it? 62-0 in their house? Yikes.

This says it all for me: Temple is losing 49-0, the QB connects with a 30-something yard pass, they try to run it up the gut to score, and....FUMBLE!!! I feel pretty bad for them :(

Seriously, Temple will take about 6 years before Al Golden can bring them onto the map. It is such an ugly situation.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:49 pm

You probably should have included Colorado among those names, if Montana St losing to Chadron St (a Division II team) means anything.

But, I would like to elaborate a little on this matter. Last time someone started a 'link' that had 'worst' printed in it's title, it became a knock-down, drag-out affair, over who had the 'worst' team. I think we should try not to dwell on the negative.

I'm just as guilty as the next guy, don't get me wrong. But, consider for a moment how Temple must feel after losing to Louisville 65-0 or whatever the final score was. Horrible. Maybe, hands-down they are the 'worst' team in all of college football, the evidence would seem to support it (14 game losing streak, a loss at Buffalo - a bad MAC team).

Consider Florida Atlantic for a moment. They are a 'newcomer' to the Sun-Belt, arguably the 'worst' conference in I-A and as Billybud noted, perhaps worse, collectively than some I-AA leagues (I don't agree, but anything's possible).

I'm of the opinion, any program, no matter how 'bad' likely has some good things in it's favor. I can't really comment further on this, given my general ignorace, overall, as far as those teams are concerned. My advice, Eric, is to focus on the 'good' things, moreso than the bad. For whatever it's worth, we're all imperfect people, it doesn't make me feel any better to concentrate on my weaknesses (there are so many!).
Most people would prefer a compliment.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:51 pm

CLF, it wasn't meant to be a put-down affair, just something to get some talking going. I just thought we might discuss the certain situation all of these programs are in and what they can do to get out of it.

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:56 pm

i was re-checking this thread to see if monroe was on the list.

who the hell is monroe?
i just googled it and all i came up with was a community college from new york :lol:

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:07 am

ok, good ...i was worried there for a minute.
the schedule i have only says "monroe" and i forgot about them.
:? hopefully it wont be another barn burner!

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:29 am

I'd have to agree on Temple on this topic.

CLF brings up a valid point with respect to Colorado. I don't think they are the worst 1-A team but they are likely the most underachieving right now.

How good is 1-AA Montana State? This has got to be the biggest mystery of a program in all of college football right now. How do you beat a respected 1-A and Big XII program like Colorado in Boulder one week and then lose to Division II Chadron State, and I believe that loss today was by double digits.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:04 am

Sad for the folks of Bozeman, MT. I think they would rather lose to CU and kill Chadron State; it would be less embarassing.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:27 am

I'm proud/ashamed to say, my freshman year of college I played for the worst team in college football no matter, including all divisions. But I'm proud to say I scored a touchdown the game that we ended our 45 game losing streak.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:16 am

But you did play for the last team from Ohio to beat Ohio State. :wink:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

BYUfan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

What about Rice

Postby BYUfan1 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:04 pm

Rice has no wins. Near the bottom in most offensive and defensive categories. Maybe, they are not worst than Temple, but they at least they should be listed. Didn't Kent State win a conference game already?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:16 pm

Rice has played some really good football teams, Temple is really, really bad.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:21 pm

Eric wrote:CLF, it wasn't meant to be a put-down affair, just something to get some talking going. I just thought we might discuss the certain situation all of these programs are in and what they can do to get out of it.
I think I know what you are doing. In I-A there is a disparity between 'outstanding' football teams, and those who might be better suited in another classification, but the fact remains, they are I-A.
I'ts one reason I take exception to the 'moniker' mid-major.
I'm not sure that's a 'fair' way to classify a program, good-or-bad.
Kent St is now being mentioned, well they seem to me to be vastly improved, over last season. Buffalo appears, outwardly to be better.
Temple, I guess is Temple, but even they can play 'quality' football under the right circumstances (a reference to 2004, when they beat Syracuse).
Florida Atlantic is mentioned frequently, but they are such a young program, I don't think it's fair to them to be overly critical. The Sun Belt is mentioned, as 'non-competitive' yet I"m convinced they are improving.

I guess my 'objection' isn't to valid criticism, where appropriate. Some teams probably 'deserve' to be at the bottom. But, I remember how hard it was for me to play football, when I was a kid. I won't go into specifics, but it required a lot of patience, and a lot of effort, and my performance was 'adequate' at best ,our teams hardly ever won. Maybe that's embedded into my psyche. I am familiar with loss.
We could all stand to be a little less critical, I know I could be.

Return to “General Discussion”