Most surprising game this weekend

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Most surprising game this weekend

Postby Jason G » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:53 am

There were a lot of games that may have surprised some people this week. Which games surprised you the most?

For me the list goes as follows....

1. New Hampshire at Northwestern... I know UNH is a top 1-AA program but on the road in the Big Ten by 17 points???
2. Troy at Florida State...how was this game so close?
3. Air Force at Tennessee...after the huge win over Cal the Vols were a few yards away from falling to the AFA in Knoxville.
4. Iowa at Syracuse...despite the Hawkeyes going to a backup QB the same reason as #2 above.
5. Ohio at Northern Illinois...Wow! As a MAC fan I sure didn't see the Bobcats pulling off a double-digit upset over one of the conference favorites in DeKalb.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:56 am

Those are all biggies, but Florida State had a major hangover today. I go with them. They B-10 as a conference took it on the chin today, also.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:59 am

Ball State, Wyoming, San Jose State, and UMass didn't shock me much. Idaho was pretty disappointing because they didn't play too bad against the Sparty's in East Lansing but got destroyed by rival Washington State.

How about the Sun Belt in general? Troy almost beating Florida State, Arkansas State was competitive for the first half while upsetting Army the week before, North Texas got an OOC win for the conference against SMU, Florida International got beat by USF by one point, and UL Monroe lost @ Kansas by 2 points. Overall, it was a big lift for the conference, hopefully they can get headed on the right direction. Oh yeah, MTSU didn't do too bad today against Maryland.

That Ohio game was one of the bigger shockers to me. They have no offense to speak of but Solich somehow pulled it out.

Duke suprised me because of how pitiful that team is, they were beating Wake Forest before the Deacons came back to win the ballgame. Minnesota was a suprising disappointment, but like I said earlier, I'm never counting on Glenn Mason again to win any big game. Sure, the Gophers can beat teams like Northwestern, Indiana, and UL Lafayette, but never seem to beat teams like Michigan, Ohio State, or Cal.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:52 am

I agree about the highschools. The highschool coaches are stating to teach football instead of hiding behind the option. They are developing players. That said, Colorado should never get beat by a 1-AA school. Even Northwestern should never get beat by a 1-AA. The talent pool for 1-A is just too high to let something like that happen.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:26 pm

Spence wrote:Those are all biggies, but Florida State had a major hangover today. I go with them. They B-10 as a conference took it on the chin today, also.

Yeah. Your FSU comment was a good description.

FSU looked really shabby, but I would not knock them down in the rankings just for that since they just came off the Miami game. But there still not Top 10 IMO.

Tennessee was a shocker, but I also think that they jump TOO high after the win over California. Still not Top 15 IMO.

That's my 2.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:43 pm

Thoughts While Riding a Harley in the Rain Across Georgia on the Way Back to Tallahassee from Jeckyl Island...

1... I passed through Homerville, Georgia. If it hadn't been pouring rain, I would have stopped to take a picture of me and Barney (my Fatboy) next to the city sign. I think the state flag of Georgia is red with a big black "G" in the center. Saw it flying even from the shotgun houses that haven't seen a coat of paint since Roosevelt (Teddy) was president.

2...I felt a lttle (very little) bit better about FSU's game after I watched Bobby's show...FSU had 23 first downs to 13 for Troy...held Troy to 24 rushing yards and FSU had 336 passing yards to 271 for Troy...

It was 4 TO's that killed FSU drives...and weird stuff like an FSU defender tipping a ball into the air only to have Troy get under it and take it to the two.

Bobby said that the guys came off the field at near midnight Monday night...got back to Tallahassee at 4AM Tuesday and went to class and then crashed. No real practice Wednesday...didn't have film of Troy because NCAA allows Troy to withhold it until they have film of FSU...and the late Miami game delayed that film exchange.

He said that Troy is a "trap" game...a short week after the most emotional and draining game of the schedule and sandwiched in between Miami and Clemson....Troy was pumped to play FSU and FSU was sleepwalking for several quarters. But the team didn't fold the tent and kept at it.

3...The Noles need to revamp their simplistic running game..or, continue the passing game and make use of the flairs, swings, and screens, which make use of the running talent but better suits FSU's format. Nice to see FSU stay on the ground to push it in from the nine and use the fullback.

Clemson, next week, will tell the story.

4...Watched Texas/OSU on the motel small screen...HD big screen has so spoiled me. The Bucks did a better job on defense than I had expected and Texas, with a rookie QB, had the problems that I thought that they might.

Texas had more first downs 20 to OSU's 17...and rushed for 172 yards while holdind OSU to 79 on 26 rushes....it was the Buck's passing that won...OSU must pass to win and it will take a good pass defense to stop 'em.

5...ND/Penn State was another game in many aspects than was the score...the Irish had their clover on...

PSU had 25 first downs to ND's 22....rushed for 158 to ND's 116...three TO's hurt the Lions..and again, it was passing that won the game for the Irish.

6...I am beginning to believe that the old sage wisdom about the team that rushes best will win, is much less relevant when you have a great QB and good WR's.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:11 pm

[quote-"billybud"]Texas had more first downs 20 to OSU's 17...and rushed for 172 yards while holdind OSU to 79 on 26 rushes....it was the Buck's passing that won...OSU must pass to win and it will take a good pass defense to stop 'em. [/quote]

Ohio State can run the ball. Tressel just felt that we couldn't win that way against Texas. Tressel played 52 more guys in rotation in the first half of that ballgame. He knows Ohio State will need defense to win. He is trying desperately to find out which players fit where. It is a little late to still be trying to find your self, but that is what is going on.

Ohio State, at the moment, can't defend the run. Both Texas and Northern Illinois have shredded us. Laurinaitis played pretty well, but since we were in the nickel most of the game we didn't get to test them like Northern Illinois did. The Backers are still having trouble shedding blockers. Ohio State needs to fix that.

The DB's played alright in coverage, but again this week tackling was terrible. Ohio State still has a way to go, but with this win in their back pocket, they have some time to get it together.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:16 pm

2...I felt a lttle (very little) bit better about FSU's game after I watched Bobby's show...FSU had 23 first downs to 13 for Troy...held Troy to 24 rushing yards and FSU had 336 passing yards to 271 for Troy...

It was 4 TO's that killed FSU drives...and weird stuff like an FSU defender tipping a ball into the air only to have Troy get under it and take it to the two.

Bobby said that the guys came off the field at near midnight Monday night...got back to Tallahassee at 4AM Tuesday and went to class and then crashed. No real practice Wednesday...didn't have film of Troy because NCAA allows Troy to withhold it until they have film of FSU...and the late Miami game delayed that film exchange.

He said that Troy is a "trap" game...a short week after the most emotional and draining game of the schedule and sandwiched in between Miami and Clemson....Troy was pumped to play FSU and FSU was sleepwalking for several quarters. But the team didn't fold the tent and kept at it.

The thing with Troy is that they are flat out bad. They have a good defense actually, but it's the offense that kills them. They hired a former assistant under Hal Mumme to get something going offensively as an offensive coordinator. I'm not as much shocked that Troy only gave up 24 points as I am that they scored 17.

Florida State had all the factors working against them other than the fact that they are vastly more talented than the Trojans. You're right on with the other stuff you said too. FSU just wasn't ready yet.

colorado_loves_football

Re: Most surprising game this weekend

Postby colorado_loves_football » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:49 pm

Jason G wrote:There were a lot of games that may have surprised some people this week. Which games surprised you the most?

For me the list goes as follows....

1. New Hampshire at Northwestern... I know UNH is a top 1-AA program but on the road in the Big Ten by 17 points???
2. Troy at Florida State...how was this game so close?
3. Air Force at Tennessee...after the huge win over Cal the Vols were a few yards away from falling to the AFA in Knoxville.
4. Iowa at Syracuse...despite the Hawkeyes going to a backup QB the same reason as #2 above.
5. Ohio at Northern Illinois...Wow! As a MAC fan I sure didn't see the Bobcats pulling off a double-digit upset over one of the conference favorites in DeKalb.
As far as Northwestern is concerned, I think it was a 'letdown' from an emotional win over Miami, OH. Clearly, Northwestern is a lot better than New Hampshire. It conjures up images of the MSU vs. Colorado game. They probably took them lightly.

Troy has a very good football team. I dont' care what anyone says, they're good, despite 'falling' to 4-7 a year ago. They were clearly focused, Florida St wasn't. The better team won, but not easily.

AFA has been working all year on Tennessee. They wanted to start out with a win, but couldn't 'close the deal'. They made some good plays, but the last one wasn't what I'd call a very 'good' decision. Strangely, had they converted the 2nd onside kick, they very likely win, anyway.

Syracuse, as bad as they were a year ago, clearly is making strides within the Big East, losing to Wake Forest 20-10 is evidence of that.
Iowa, didn't have Drew Tate in the lineup. They were 'short-handed' on offense. The defense stepped up when it mattered and won the game.
It's not easy beating Syracuse in their own backyard, at any rate.

I can't really comment on Ohio. But I remember last year's game against Pittsburgh. Could be evidence they've 'arrived'. N Illinios, seems to 'fold' when the pressure is high. Toledo has had their #.

Now, what about W. Michigan over Toledo? And what about Buffalo, nearly upsetting Bowling Green? Those were two games I never saw coming. Either the MAC is 'improving' or those 'mainstays' are bad.
I'm inclined to believe the former. MAC football is improving.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:22 pm

Buffalo did suprise me. Bowling Green is going to be pretty bad because unlike past years with Josh Harris and Omar Jacobs, there are quarterback problems. Western over Toledo is not very suprising considering Western won 7 games last year. They're going to be good this year (I think International Bowl).

As far as Northwestern is concerned, I think it was a 'letdown' from an emotional win over Miami, OH. Clearly, Northwestern is a lot better than New Hampshire. It conjures up images of the MSU vs. Colorado game. They probably took them lightly.

CLF, you do know that New Hampshire is one of the top 1-AA teams in the nation. Doesn't that count for something? :lol:

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:33 pm

I just said that because CLF seems to think that top 1-AA teams would make mediocre 1-A football teams.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:07 am

TDDVandy wrote:AFA vs. Tennessee was a surprise. I thought AFA would keep it close but a one-point loss that they could have won? That's a shock.

Say what you will about FDB's call at the end, but it was the right call -- much like Pete Carroll being criticized for handing off to LenDale White on fourth down with the championship on the line. Just because it didn't work doesn't make it a bad call. Think about it: You're a head coach of a 20-point underdog playing in a hostile environment, and you score a touchdown to come within one. Kick the extra point, go to overtime, and you probably lose, because Tennessee's got a crowd of 100,000+ behind them. Make the gutsy call, go for two with all the momentum behind you, and if you make it, you win, assuming your defense holds on. Miss it, and you've still got a chance to recover an onside kick. But AFA probably wasn't going to win that game in overtime.

The bigger question in my mind is that if AFA had kicked the extra point, what would Fulmer have done? Would he have tried to get into field goal range and win it in regulation, or just play for overtime?
I think your analysis is right on. I wonder if faking the extra point kick, would have worked instead of running a conventional play?
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:20 am

I just said that because CLF seems to think that top 1-AA teams would make mediocre 1-A football teams.

Actually, they would make mediocre IA teams..the record supports that as Ktffan reported...in fact, the better mid majors (Boise, Nevada, Ohiio, N. Illinois, etc) make for mediocre IA BCS teams according to the record.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:05 pm

The Gateway was ranked more powerful than the Sunbelt....

But...put any Gateway team into the Big Ten, ACC, SEC, and they will be no better than mediocre...

The IIA better IIA teams would not have a winning record playing in a BCS college.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:41 pm

It just isn't that easy....Duke and Indiana (and, yes, Vandy) are what they are...mediocre sub .500 conference teams playing in BCS conferences.

TV deals don't matter...being in the BCS conference hasn't made them competitive...

They lack the other attributes necessary to allow them to compete in their conference.

Return to “General Discussion”