What Happened to Tennessee tonight?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

What Happened to Tennessee tonight?

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:16 am

Playing a very tight game with Air Force. Did anyone see that game?
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:51 am

I saw part of it on Gameplan, but missed the ending; heard it was really good :(

Boomer went to the game I think he said in an earlier post. I guess Tennessee just bought in to how good people were saying they were and forgot to show up this weekend. It was a good wakeup call because this is still a very good football team.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:32 pm

irish88 wrote:air force scored a TD with 1:35 to go in the 4th to bring in it within 1pt. coach deberry goes for the win on a 2pt conversion. fails. whew !

IMO, that was a stupid call...
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:39 pm

I don't know. If he knew that he was out matched physically, why not take the shot to end it. If I knew I was the better team or I thought it was close, then yeah, I go for OT. If I know that I probably can't match them in a redzone matchup then why not go for the W. It isn't by the ook coaching, but you have to applaud the guts. Can you imagina the heat from the Airforce brass he will take for this? He knew it and gave it a shot anyway.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:45 pm

It was a good move. Coaches have to take chances, and Air Force wasn't even supposed to be in this game. Playing conservative rarely wins you ballgames.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:53 pm

Eric wrote:It was a good move. Coaches have to take chances, and Air Force wasn't even supposed to be in this game. Playing conservative rarely wins you ballgames.

I think whenever you lose a game on a call, it's a 'bad' move. I suppose if it had worked we'd all be 'hailing' Air Force for their 'strategy' but there was still time left, regardless. And I'm pretty sure Tennessee had timeouts. The game was hardly 'in the books'. Bad call by AFA, IMO

Boomer wrote:I agree with that 100% it was a risk worth taking. Had it have paid off we'd all be hailing the call as brilliant.

A 'pitch' on what amounted to a 4th & goal, isn't 'brilliant' in my book.

I've seen Air Force lose games doing similar things. The 'smart' move would have been to kick an X-tra point, and hope for OT. As it was, all Tennessee had to do was 'sit' on the ball, rather than try to win it.
"horrible" would be how I would have described the decision, personally, the % were clearly in Tennessee's favor. DeBerry should retire.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:16 pm

DeBarry took a shot. he knew he probably loses in OT so he took a chance. They were running their offense and that is how that offense works, you can't ask a tiger to change their stripes mid game. DeBarry made the right call IMO, he just didn't get the desired result.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:41 pm

Boomer wrote:
Derek wrote:
irish88 wrote:air force scored a TD with 1:35 to go in the 4th to bring in it within 1pt. coach deberry goes for the win on a 2pt conversion. fails. whew !

IMO, that was a stupid call...

I heard a good quote about it this morning, I cant remember if it was a player or coach at UT that said it but heres the jist of it......

"The Service Academies teach winning and, have to train to do such, they cant play to tie because they arent going to have that option after they graduate and become military leaders."

I agree with that 100% it was a risk worth taking. Had it have paid off we'd all be hailing the call as brilliant. The football field and the battlefield are very different but, what you learn on one carries over to the other. They fought to the end, they just didn't have the firepower in the end to break the line.

I can understand that. But they could have still won in OT. That's my point.

If this was early in the game, I could see it. But this was ALL or nothing....And living to fight another day in OT is just as good, as missing the conversion.

IMO
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:02 pm

I was watching in a sports bar and thought the call was the right thing to do. If Air Force were clearly the better team, then getting to overtime would have been the right call. IMO
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:16 pm

Exactly, but DeBarry new that his odds were probably better on that one play then taking the Vols into OT. If it would have worked he would have been gutsy and bold. It didn't so it was a bad move. I don't buy that, I think he made the right call.

Return to “General Discussion”