The word on Greg Oden....

A place to chat about that other college sport during the football off-season.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

The word on Greg Oden....

Postby Spence » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:29 pm

is that Wed. night he will announce that he is returning to Ohio State to play B-ball next year along with his buddy Mike Conley.

If this is in fact true Ohio State will have two seven footers guarding the basket next year. Oden, the physical center and Kosta Koufos the 7'2" power foward who can shoot from the perimeter. Along with Conley returning that would give Ohio State a pretty good chance of doing well in the tournament next year. 8) And of course a very good chance of taking two more from Michigan. :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:04 pm

They will win the title next year if he does stay. Oden will be playing like he is possessed next year and won't be so non-chalant at times like he was in the regular season.

I think we'll see more of what he did in the title game than what he did in some games early in the season.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:27 pm

He was hurt early in the season. He does seem to lose focus sometimes during games though. Ohio State goes back to the full 13 scholarships next year so they will have a full team to work with instead of playing thin like they did all this year. Also with Koufos on the team, it will take some pressure of the double teams that Oden faced all year. If he does come back he should have a fun year. (although if he turns pro, he could have lots more fun trying to spend some of that cash)

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:03 pm

What is Oden ..... 18 years old? I recall one of the TV guys saying that his mother told the story about his birth certificate being all torn and tattered because over the years she was constantly having to provide it to prove his age. I believe he will dominate and increase his value if he stays another year.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:50 pm

I think he will dominate as well, but he can't really improve his draft status. He will go number one whenever he leaves. It is just that he will have a better chance to help his NBA team earlier if he stays one more year. He isn't quite ready for the NBA yet, but they don't care because they know the player he will be down the road.

he is more athletic then he got to show this year. We got to see glimpses of it in the championship game. Donovan rotated 3 or 4 guys on him all night and know one could get the best of him. If they can get him to quit leading with his shoulder, he won't get into as much foul trouble as he got in this year.

He is 19 right now. He should fill in a little over the summer. That is what is really scary. I wonder if he ever thought about playing defensive end? :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:58 pm

I may have jumped the gun. Looks like Mike Conley has been given info to make him believe he will be the first point guard taken. If Conley goes, then Oden goes for sure. Conley had originally stated he was coming back, but the news that he would probably be a top 10 pick has him rethinking his position. Without Conley, Ohio State will probably be no better then a sweet 16 team next year, Oden or no Oden.

If they don't announce they are staying tonight, then they are gone. Originally they were slated to announce they were coming back tonight at the basketball rally. Looks like that isn't going to happen.

I wish them well and hope they have great careers in the NBA. They made people in Columbus care about b-ball again after 45 years.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:43 pm

No announcement by Oden or Conley tonight at the pep rally. They are gone. Good luck to them.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:13 pm

Ditto on the good luck wishes ..... hope they made the right decision ... fame and fortune are powerful temptations.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:04 pm

I don't know how it could really be the wrong decision. They will both be financially secure and they will be working in a profession that they love. If they learn how do deal with the sudden wealth then they should have a great life. I wanted them to come back, but I can't blame someone for doing something that I would have done myself. I do hope that they both finish school at some point. Both are going to finish out the quarter so they seem to have intentions on finishing or they would have quit going to classes.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:16 pm

The decisions provided by and made after they experience fame and new found wealth are the ones they have to be careful with. Lots of choices and influences out there ..... hopefully they will chose the right ones.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:26 pm

agreed. I wouldn't have chose the right ones at their age. :oops:

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:34 pm

Ditto, I had bumps and bangs along the way myself ..... hope they've got some good folks that they will listen to and that have their best interest at heart.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:20 am

I think they do. I don't know much about Oden's family, but Conley's dad was an Olympian. He seems to have their best interests at heart. Some Buckeye fans believe they want to stay and he is being greedy, but I don't think that is it. He is looking out for their future. It is just that what is best for them probably isn't best for Ohio State.

They gave us a good run, I would like them to stay, but I think they should enter the draft as well.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:12 pm

Seattle Sports Radio today KJR kept saying Seattle should tank the game tonight so they can get Oden......

Do not think Seattle needs to tank the game....just play normal....all works the same.....

Besides.....they are off to Oklahoma City.....Washington will not use tax money for new stadium....about time...
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:48 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “College Basketball”