Fatal Shootings at NIU

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
BYUfan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fatal Shootings at NIU

Postby BYUfan1 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:15 am

A former graduate student at Northern Illinois stepped from behind a curtain at the front of a large lecture hall at NIU on Thursday and shot 21 people, six of them fatally, then shot and killed himself. Seven of the wounded were listed in critical condition.
The critic is one who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
-- Oscar Wilde

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Fatal Shootings at NIU

Postby Spence » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:09 am

BYUfan1 wrote:A former graduate student at Northern Illinois stepped from behind a curtain at the front of a large lecture hall at NIU on Thursday and shot 21 people, six of them fatally, then shot and killed himself. Seven of the wounded were listed in critical condition.

I don't know why these people who want to die use the last moments of their life to show to all who knew them that they were cowards. That isn't what I would want peoples last memories of me to be. I'm glad you didn't post his name. His name doesn't need to be written. My heart goes out to the innocent people who died in this tragedy.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:00 pm

Spence just stated and answered the curious problem.

The only reason my almost stable brain can come up with for such acts is the reward (of some form I guess) with infamy. This being delivered by the Media plastering these clowns faces and names all over papers, screens, and airwaves. Congress needs to pass a law to make this the one aspect freedom of the press doesn't grant. Report the story but no name or face needs to be given.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:36 pm

WoVeU wrote:Spence just stated and answered the curious problem.

The only reason my almost stable brain can come up with for such acts is the reward (of some form I guess) with infamy. This being delivered by the Media plastering these clowns faces and names all over papers, screens, and airwaves. Congress needs to pass a law to make this the one aspect freedom of the press doesn't grant. Report the story but no name or face needs to be given.

Very sad. The guy was a nut. I can't fathom taking someone else's life

I can agree with some of what your saying WoVeU. However, I feel (being a Fedralist, and believe in the"WORD for WORD" interpretation of the Constitution) that Freedom of Speech/Press/religous expression/etc. is NOT absolute.

You can't leak national secrets about military capabilities. You can't print classified information like the New York Times did, though Bush let them get away with it. You can't scream fire in a movie theater when there is not one.

The constitution prohibits "Congress" from regulating these things. But it does not stop your state or local governments from laying a beatdown on you for marching/causing a disturbance without permission/permits to do so.

The 9th and 10th Amendments give all powers not reserved to the Federal government to the people or the states. So your state can regulate the local press, if their constitution or laws allow for it.

The Constitution is there to "restrict" government, not grant your rights. Since all your rights come from God, as the Founders acknowledged.

So I would clarify what you said, and say that the President can and should put a gag order on it. Don't give those nuts any press time. It MIGHT even make someone else that is contemplating the same thing, think twice when they see people "moving on" and forgetting about it. Not that we forget the people that died, but the person that did it is forgotten and most would say "good riddance".
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:41 am

No one should have to make a law about it. Common sense dictates that if you don't give them what they want the next guy will think twice about dying for nothing. No more copy cats. The press used to keep things quiet that weren't needed to tell the story. The name of a random guy who flips out and kills a bunch of people isn't needed to tell the story. Let law enforcement use his acts and let them learn the whats and whys. I don't need to know his name if he is dead.

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:53 pm

I feel sad for the familes and friends of the victims, and for NIU as a whole. The Virginia Tech shootings hurt deep in my soul and now I know all too well how those at NIU must feel.

This is another senselsss tragedy.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:23 am

Senseless is the key word.

Return to “Off-Topic”