6--8--10--12--16

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
User avatar
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach
Posts: 1397
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:42 am

Re: 6--8--10--12--16

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:50 am

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:As long as these governing bodies continue to use a “bid” method of selecting teams to fill brackets there will be controversy and cries of unfairness, incorrectness, bias and “We were Robbed!!!” :evil: :evil: :evil:

Simple solution……. Conference Champs verses Conference Champs and for the accounting of the Independents, let them work out a Conference Affiliation, as Notre Dame did with the ACC last season, from year to year with various conferences or permanently while remaining Independent…….. Performance and Results over the course of the regular season are the best way to go. IMHO 8) 8) 8)


I've said that for years. if the money weren't so good the NCAA would do something about it.




……..and therein lies the conflict, with teams wanting a path for access, while fans wanting their team a performance based opportunity, and the ‘CFP’ Parties wanting money.

It’ll be interesting to see how they juggle the balls going forward…… 8)
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

User avatar
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach
Posts: 1397
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:42 am

Re: 6--8--10--12--16

Postby Mountainman » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:16 am

……..more insight into what the CFP guys are thinking. 8)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... champions/
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

User avatar
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 4260
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:25 am
Location: South Bend, IN (domerville usa)
Contact:

Re: 6--8--10--12--16

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:06 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

Now consider ...

The top four conference champions get a bye.

The arguments will still remain the same. Why wasn't my team in the top four? How is it fair that so & such gets a bye
instead of "insert bleeding heart fan base here"?

And of course the additional; Well, my team had just as good of a record as #12, why are we ranked #13 -- #14 -- #15 -- #16?
When are we going to expand to 16 and be fair? When are we going to include all ten conference champions?

All of this, and nothing gets changed.

Because the Top Four conference champs, will be the usual suspects, and have a more rested team, who had an extra two weeks to prepare.
Meanwhile; back at the Golden Dome ... Notre Dame makes their preseason plans for their annual playoff appearance.

And with the Power5 receiving the obligatory nod, the selection committee has already given themselves a buffer, by saying:
"See, you groups of 5ers? The Pac 12/ACC/Big XII didn't make the top four either. So, you're welcome."


.
.
.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

User avatar
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach
Posts: 1397
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:42 am

Re: 6--8--10--12--16

Postby Mountainman » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:38 pm

Yep…….. a very political environment attempting to placate conferences, teams and fans in order to maintain control of the venture who’s purpose is motivated by profit……. It’s a recognized model of the political environment where power is first and foremost, wealth is an objective and the statements of the love of the people are soon left far behind. 8) 8) 8)
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

User avatar
Spence
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 20223
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio (Ohio's First Capital)
Contact:

Re: 6--8--10--12--16

Postby Spence » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:11 am

Mountainman wrote:Yep…….. a very political environment attempting to placate conferences, teams and fans in order to maintain control of the venture who’s purpose is motivated by profit……. It’s a recognized model of the political environment where power is first and foremost, wealth is an objective and the statements of the love of the people are soon left far behind. 8) 8) 8)


I find it interesting that the Universities - the same places that espouse socialist and liberal agendas- put money ahead of "fairness" when the money is theirs. I find it fascinating that as many bad examples of socialism that exist and has existed in the past and there are still people that believe that it can work for the people. Socialism just insures that the working class will never move out of the working class and the aristocrats will rule forever. Power to the people - yeah right.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

User avatar
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 4260
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:25 am
Location: South Bend, IN (domerville usa)
Contact:

Re: 6--8--10--12--16

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:07 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Yep…….. a very political environment attempting to placate conferences, teams and fans in order to maintain control of the venture who’s purpose is motivated by profit……. It’s a recognized model of the political environment where power is first and foremost, wealth is an objective and the statements of the love of the people are soon left far behind. 8) 8) 8)


I find it interesting that the Universities - the same places that espouse socialist and liberal agendas- put money ahead of "fairness" when the money is theirs. I find it fascinating that as many bad examples of socialism that exist and has existed in the past and there are still people that believe that it can work for the people. Socialism just insures that the working class will never move out of the working class and the aristocrats will rule forever. Power to the people - yeah right.


Precisely ...

.
.
.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

User avatar
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach
Posts: 1397
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:42 am

Re: 6--8--10--12--16

Postby Mountainman » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:10 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Yep…….. a very political environment attempting to placate conferences, teams and fans in order to maintain control of the venture who’s purpose is motivated by profit……. It’s a recognized model of the political environment where power is first and foremost, wealth is an objective and the statements of the love of the people are soon left far behind. 8) 8) 8)


I find it interesting that the Universities - the same places that espouse socialist and liberal agendas- put money ahead of "fairness" when the money is theirs. I find it fascinating that as many bad examples of socialism that exist and has existed in the past and there are still people that believe that it can work for the people. Socialism just insures that the working class will never move out of the working class and the aristocrats will rule forever. Power to the people - yeah right.


Precisely ...

.
.
.




Gentlemen, IMHO, the NCAA as the governing body of College Sports is on wobbly legs……. With lawsuits, Supreme Court antitrust decisions pending, Transfer Portals, NIL’s, FBI investigations into recruiting scandals, CFP Committee, required non-revenue sports, Title IX issues, the load may very well result in a collapse of it as a governing body. 8) 8) 8)
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

User avatar
Spence
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 20223
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio (Ohio's First Capital)
Contact:

Re: 6--8--10--12--16

Postby Spence » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:02 pm

And it is a complete shame that a scholarship program instituted to help kids pay for school has been turned into this mess. The biggest problem with college athletics has never been with the kids, it has always been at the top and the NCAA represents the top, they have never worked for the kids.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

User avatar
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach
Posts: 1397
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:42 am

Re: 6--8--10--12--16

Postby Mountainman » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:22 pm

Spence wrote:And it is a complete shame that a scholarship program instituted to help kids pay for school has been turned into this mess. The biggest problem with college athletics has never been with the kids, it has always been at the top and the NCAA represents the top, they have never worked for the kids.



The NCAA appears to me too often of being behind the curve, meaning they’re reacting to change and changing times and circumstances as opposed to being proactive and getting ahead of the curve before things are in a crisis mode and then addressing them. :roll: :roll:
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

User avatar
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 4260
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:25 am
Location: South Bend, IN (domerville usa)
Contact:

Re: 6--8--10--12--16

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:52 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:And it is a complete shame that a scholarship program instituted to help kids pay for school has been turned into this mess. The biggest problem with college athletics has never been with the kids, it has always been at the top and the NCAA represents the top, they have never worked for the kids.



The NCAA appears to me too often of being behind the curve, meaning they’re reacting to change and changing times and circumstances as opposed to being proactive and getting ahead of the curve before things are in a crisis mode and then addressing them. :roll: :roll:



Yes; and now, politicians want to get involved, because as it is, they cannot tax these kids ...

Scholarships are exempt from taxation.

Payments for jerseys, autographs and royalties from Name/Image/Likeness however ...

.
.
.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

User avatar
Spence
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 20223
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio (Ohio's First Capital)
Contact:

Re: 6--8--10--12--16

Postby Spence » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:17 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:And it is a complete shame that a scholarship program instituted to help kids pay for school has been turned into this mess. The biggest problem with college athletics has never been with the kids, it has always been at the top and the NCAA represents the top, they have never worked for the kids.



The NCAA appears to me too often of being behind the curve, meaning they’re reacting to change and changing times and circumstances as opposed to being proactive and getting ahead of the curve before things are in a crisis mode and then addressing them. :roll: :roll:



Yes; and now, politicians want to get involved, because as it is, they cannot tax these kids ...

Scholarships are exempt from taxation.

Payments for jerseys, autographs and royalties from Name/Image/Likeness however ...

.
.
.


Bringing what is in the darkness out into the light. :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

User avatar
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach
Posts: 1397
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:42 am

Re: 6--8--10--12--16

Postby Mountainman » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:19 pm

Spence wrote:
Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:And it is a complete shame that a scholarship program instituted to help kids pay for school has been turned into this mess. The biggest problem with college athletics has never been with the kids, it has always been at the top and the NCAA represents the top, they have never worked for the kids.



The NCAA appears to me too often of being behind the curve, meaning they’re reacting to change and changing times and circumstances as opposed to being proactive and getting ahead of the curve before things are in a crisis mode and then addressing them. :roll: :roll:



Yes; and now, politicians want to get involved, because as it is, they cannot tax these kids ...

Scholarships are exempt from taxation.

Payments for jerseys, autographs and royalties from Name/Image/Likeness however ...

.
.
.


Bringing what is in the darkness out into the light. :lol:




Update: :roll: :roll: :roll:

https://www.si.com/college/2021/06/16/n ... ators-skip
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

User avatar
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 4260
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:25 am
Location: South Bend, IN (domerville usa)
Contact:

Re: 6--8--10--12--16

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:02 am

-------------------------------------------------------------

I like the idea that they are saying, Athletes should have been at the table the whole time.

I agree, if you are speaking of a particular demographic, their voices should be included.

The problem I have is near the beginning of the article; the language used, is: "threatening the equitability of NCAA sports."

This pure Marxism.

Equality is the ideology that each individual has the same opportunity, where those who succeed are those who excel at a thing.

Equity is the ideology that there is a flat compensation for everyone, regardless of success & effort put in.

That would mean, by the virtues of equity; all student athletes [irregardless the sport] will be financially compensated the same flat income across all NCAA affiliate collegiate programs. The women's soccer team, would receive the same revenue share as the men's basketball & football teams.

It's clear where the minds of Sports Illustrated are at. This is the terminology being used by Bernie Sanders, Kamala Harris and Alexandra Cortez.

So I'm not quite sure that SI knows the capitalist implications of NIL. Or, maybe they do, and want to start interjecting socialist language into the conversation, with future intent.

.
.
.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

User avatar
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach
Posts: 1397
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:42 am

Re: 6--8--10--12--16

Postby Mountainman » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:28 am

Appears to me the NCAA is moving forward. At this point I believe it’s a good move, before the lawmakers always hide their own pet projects or political paybacks in legislation. Things such as millions hidden in legislation labeled to the public as one thing, but contains things like millions for watching lizards run on treadmills and proving that theoretically an elephant can dangle over a cliff with its’ tail tied to a daisy…….. :shock: :shock: :shock:

https://247sports.com/Article/NCAA-Mark ... 166715790/
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

User avatar
Spence
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 20223
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio (Ohio's First Capital)
Contact:

Re: 6--8--10--12--16

Postby Spence » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:29 pm

He didn’t have a choice on name, image, and likeness. The schools were already moving forward with it.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests